Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Malt Whisky - Charles MacLean (2002)

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Malt Whisky - Charles MacLean (2002)

Postby Frodo » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:17 am

I picked up this book at a discount book store. Really good at explaining the steps of whisky-making, and how to properly taste whisky. Fantastic photos of things like stills, mash tuns, condensers, drum maltings, etc.. Also introduces things like tasting wheels, and where groups of flavours come from - like vanilla coming from the barrels.

Good explanations of the geographic areas, and maps of them including where the distilleries are. I highly recommend this book for any newbies that want pictures as well as an in-depth look at how whisky is made.

Weakness of the book is (only) superficial tasting notes for the malts, and the way the expressions are chosen. For example, Balblair tasting notes only include a G&M 10yr old. I find it odd that OB's weren't chosen, since these are the expressions most available.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:36 am

I'll second Your remarks, Frodo. This book was an excellent introduction to the malt whisky world for me as a newby.
But there is one thing that puzzles me though:
Good explanations of the geographic areas, and maps of them including where the distilleries are.

At least in my german edition (2nd edition, Collection Rolf Heyne, Munich 2004) they've got most of the distillery locations in the maps completely and so quite disturbingly wrong. For a second edition and not distinctly inexpensive (around 35 €) book a remarkable observation :evil:... I understand that Your english/american edition doesn't show this problem.

Lucky You!
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby bond » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:45 pm

Frodo:

Who are the publishers?

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:38 pm

In the U.K. it's published in 1997 (2nd Ed. 2002) by Octopus Publishing Group Ltd., 2-4 Heron Quays, Dockland, London E14 4JP.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon May 09, 2005 5:49 am

Picked up this book yesterday and agree entirely with Frodo's observations.

On your point about tasting notes, I guess this book is not intended as a tasting guide. (don't we have a handful of them already?)
bond
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat May 14, 2005 6:26 am

Yeah. I'd just want to inform someone who was looking to buy about it's str + weaknesses. It does pair up well with MJ's guide IMHO.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder