Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scotch Whisky Directory - Phillip Hills

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Scotch Whisky Directory - Phillip Hills

Postby jlane » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:39 pm

Just received this book. It looks like like a very useful guide, departing from the usual format, to aid selection of malts by their flavour characteristics. I would, however, be critical of three shortcomings:

1 - unusual choice of "typical" bottlings analysed in some cases. For example why is the only Caola Ila entry a 1989 Signatory bottling? It would have been more sense and use for the widely available distillery bottling(s) to have been addressed;

2 - some well known "brands" have been completely omitted? What about Mortlach???? I know much of it may go into blending, but the distillery bottling is still widely available;

3 - within the "star" ratings there can be quite a range of overall points to make that star rating. Given that the bar charts provide the "+" and "-" points which when taken together lead to the star rating, it would have been more use to give the net total points so the reader can see where within a star rating band a whisky lies - this could help comparison within star rating bands.

I do hope a 2nd edition addresses these points.
jlane

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 15, 2005 5:56 pm

I liked the book.

But too much emphasis on blends and not enough on singles
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:53 pm

Jlane, i agree with you. Recently bought this book and to be honest i am mildly dissapointed. The star rating doesnt make any sence at all, look at the ratings/notes for the Glenfarclas 105 and then at the Cardhu. Both have 3 stars yet he praises the 105 and is dissapointed by the Cardhu, well i dont know but shouldnt the Cardhu get a lesser score then? Other then that i have the feeling the book is not Objective and at times even arrogant.
However i do value the fact that Jim Mc Ewan and Richard Patterson helped with the tastings. Those are two palates that undoubtebly force off respect.
Its not a bad guide if you want to compare notes, thats where i use it for, but im not going to buy the second edition.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:08 pm

Remember that this book was published in 2000 and that's light years ago when you consider all the new bottlings that have been introduced since then.

The Glenfarclas 105 is a completely different whisky now, IMHO.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Tom » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:51 pm

Actually it says in the front that the book was first published in the UK in 2005. Other then that there is no reference to the age of it. Are we talking about the same book?
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:41 pm

Apologies, I'm talking about a different book, just give me a moment to remove my foot from my mouth............I'm still waiting for his new book to arrive in the mail so I'll shut up for now.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:42 pm

Can we have your tasting notes on the foot?
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:10 pm

That's usually refered to as a footnote!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:17 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:That's usually refered to as a footnote!

Skål!
Christian

:lol: :lol: :lol: How did I miss that?
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:52 pm

I don't know, but the foot pun Lord has forgiven your sole, and you are now heeled. :D

why is the only Caol Ila entry a 1989 Signatory bottling? It would have been more sense and use for the widely available distillery bottling(s) to have been addressed

There may have been quite a gap between when the whiskies were tasted and the text was written to when the book was actually published.

The great range of OB Caol Ilas currently available is a relatively recent bonus, i.e. I think they've only been on the market for 12 months. Prior to their arrival, Caol Ila was a reasonably difficult malt to find, apart from the F&F bottling.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:48 pm

A little longer than that, Admiral, but not much--the new bottlings were available at the distillery when I visited in October 2002, but I seem to recall that they'd just been released. Prior to that, all I'd ever seen was IB's. Diageo apparently thought of the stuff as blend fodder only. It generally seems to lack the depth of other peaty Islays, but I've had some very nice ones.

Glad to know that the foot pun Lord has absolved me of my shins--I kneed His approval and wouldn't want to r-ankle Him. If we can get Lawrence's notes on his foot, we can compare them with yours on Bowmore Leg End. Then we'll be right instep! You hip?
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:26 am

I'm glad my efforts didn't go to waist - t'was a treasure chest indeed. I think it's important that you shouldn't be left alone to shoulder the burdon. This call to arms has not gone unnoticed though, and with a bit of elbow grease, we should get all hands on deck. Not meaning to finger anyone out of course.....no one should get nailed for this. Still, whatever it takes to get a head. Cheeky of us really, isn't it?

Meanwhile, back at the whisky site......
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:32 am

And let that be the end of it. No ifs, ands, or butts.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:55 am

Isn't curious how make a simple comment about the wrong book can bring out the worst in people, a simple truth cask in stone........................... :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder