Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

MacLean's Miscellany of Whisky

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

MacLean's Miscellany of Whisky

Postby rthomson » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:10 pm

I'll be heading to Scotland in a few weeks and want to do some reading on whisky and Scotland before going there. As Peat Smoke and Spirit has received positive reviews here, and it also discusses other aspects of Islay, I'll probably order a copy of that. Amazon.com UK has a special offer in which there is a small price break if you purchase Peat... and Jim Murray's Whisky Bible at same time. However, I also saw that there is a special offer if you purchase Jim Murray's Whisky Bible and MacLean's Miscellany of Whisky together. I'm not familiar with the latter book and I didn't get any results when I searched this forum for it. Has anyone read that one?

Thanks,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:18 pm

I have it and quite enjoy it although it is not an A to Z of whisky as is Iain Slinn's book with a similar title. Charlies book is different and is a series of short essays on various whisky topics.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Murray's Bible, incidentally, is pretty much just tasting notes--a reference book, rather than a read. It makes a good counterpoint to Jackson's Companion. More than likely you will get a chance to peruse a copy when you go to Scotland.
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:44 pm

Thank you for your responses. I just placed an order for Peat Smoke and Spirit along with Murray's Whisky Bible. They should be here in 2 weeks or so and I'm looking forward to the reading. I think my curiosity is about to get the better of me and I'll be placing an order for MacLean's book as well.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:19 pm

I thoroughly enjoy McLeans Miscellany. It's a book full of interesting whisky related trivia.
Without giving too much away and hopefully not offending the gentler souls who roam these boards, its a great "little boys room" book. Each chapter is just long enough :oops:
Enjoy
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:41 pm

:D

I suppose that would depend on how fast you read and how...uh...well...never mind :oops:
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:02 pm

I recently acquired some whisky books (thanks SMTV!) and Charles MacLean's Whisky Miscellany is the first of the four that I am reading.

I have to say that so far, this is a very enjoyable little book, full of good stories and well written.

A few of the facts that I have found in here are things that I already knew, but many are new to me and I find that I am learning something from each short chapter / story.

What I find particularly excellent is that all of these little stories and facts can possibly be found individually elsewhere, but suddenly, they are all together in this one handy little pocket-book.

Well done Charles and thanks for a great read,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Guys I am considering getting Charles Macleans Whisky Tales. Is there much difference with the Whisky Miscellany. If anyone know's what might it be please. Or should I get both?

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:06 am

Hi Les, these are both good books, but if you read both the you will get a feeling of deja vu.

The Miscellany was the first one published and a fascinating read, Whisky Tales seems to be a reworking of the Miscellany. You will find all the chapters from the Miscellany in Whisky Tales plus a few new ones and three sections of colour illustrations. As Charles MacLean says in his preface: This book is an expanded edition of my Whisky Miscellany.

It may have been less confusing if they had stated that on the cover. I guess it's like the whisky trade at the moment, same old whisky - different label!

In answer to your question, I'd get Whisky Tales. Unless your a book collector then you would need both and not read either of them!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks Paul that's just the answer I was looking for. Whisky Tales it is then. Thanks for for the information. There's nothing better than a personal review.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder