Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Bible 2006 - Jim Murray

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Postby bamber » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:14 am

Amazing what one can do on the internet these days.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:16 am

bamber wrote:Amazing what one can do on the internet these days.

Amazing now, but it's beyond comprehension how it's going to be when the web goes world wide.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:22 am

We'll have to connect the all the internets together, to form some kind of "World Wide Internet"
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:29 am

They should call it "THE CONNECTIWEB" Jim Murray will claim he invented it, or at lease dragged it from obscurity.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:49 pm

What does comming soon mean......

is 'soon' some mad foreign word for 'in about 3 years time'

But wow what a site compared to the last one ...... it does .....errrmmm....... so much ..... errmmm ..... more ..... :?: :?: :?:

Come on Jim give us something ...... soon.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Jan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:00 pm

Yeah, it is really a silly move to replace a domainholder website (which has become a joke by now), be a nifty looking one that still promises soon...

Far better to have waited and relaunched with a bang, when the content was ready. :?

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:21 am

I spoke to him a few days ago, he's working away like mad and missed the cricket season to have it finished in time for a fall release.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:59 am

That says a lot, Lawrence. I am looking forward to the next edition and appreciate the effort it takes for JM to taste and write so many reviews.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 am

It was out by this time last year. I'm sure it won't be long before it hits the shelves, at least in Europe.
Aidan

Postby Iain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:30 pm

Missing the cricket season to finish a book? Surely that's a win-win situation? :wink:
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:31 am

I don't like cricket.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:32 am

I love it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Whiskana » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:42 am

What's a cricket? Image
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:47 am

A small bug with a conscience?
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:28 pm

Whiskana wrote:What's a cricket? Image

You might be interested in the Finnish Cricket Association's website. http://www.cricketfinland.com/ It explains all you need to know in English or Finnish. Why not pop along and watch a game?
Deactivated Member

Postby Whiskana » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:39 pm

Nick Brown wrote:You might be interested in the Finnish Cricket Association's website. http://www.cricketfinland.com/ It explains all you need to know in English or Finnish. Why not pop along and watch a game?

The crickets are here too...? Image
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Scotchio » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:44 pm

From what I can find The Bible 2007 came out on Oct 6th. Anyone got a copy yet? I think I may try to track one down in Blackpool tomorrow. Off to see the lights!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:51 am

I ordered my copy for amazon.uk today, they ship in November.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:52 pm

I trawled around many 'big name' whisky shops and booksellers in London today. They all still had the 2006 edition on sale, which is disappointing as the 2007 was published on 2nd October .
Deactivated Member

Postby Bulkington » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:03 pm

I just ordered two copies from Amazon.co.uk, which is funny, since I only finally received my copy of the 2006 Bible, after a long delay, from Amazon.com a few weeks ago.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby martin grant » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:31 pm

I trawled round the whisky shops in Edinburgh today but no sign of the 2007 bible yet. Hope to find one real soon
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:47 pm

I haven't seen my copy of the Bible for a couple months now, and I have to admit I haven't looked too hard. Murray's talents, and the effort involved in producing the book, are prodigious, but I find this kind of book less and less relevant to me as I move along my whisky journey. When Jackson first published the Companion, it was revolutionary, but the sheer volume and rapid pace of new releases these days make the comprehensiveness and currency that Murray strives for impossible. What's more, I find myself only mildly curious to know what these guys think of any particular whisky; my palate is nowhere near as sophisticated as theirs, what I look for is different from what they do, and my taste is my own. I brought the Companion with me to Scotland, and referred to it once--to look up a distillery telephone number. In fact, the essays at the beginning of the Companion, and the paragraphs and practical information for each distillery, are more valuable to me than tasting notes. I think the best Murray could do for me would be to save me from buying a truly bum bottle, and for a number of reasons, even that is doubtful.

Just my tuppence worth!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:59 am

I spoke to Jim yesterday, he is still working on the 2007 edition and it has not yet gone to print. Amazon (or the publisher) has mocked up a cover and is taking reservations/pre orders. I'll bet the number of whiskies reviewed this year is very high.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:08 am

My last chat with Jim - in the middle of his mad rush to finalize things for the printers - revealed that this year's edition will have some 1,000 new tasting notes (combined new and re-tastings)... making it worth more than tuppence to me...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:50 am

Lawrence wrote:I spoke to Jim yesterday, he is still working on the 2007 edition and it has not yet gone to print. Amazon (or the publisher) has mocked up a cover and is taking reservations/pre orders. I'll bet the number of whiskies reviewed this year is very high.

Lawrence - did he have an idea of when it will go to print?
Aidan

Postby bamber » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:13 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I haven't seen my copy of the Bible for a couple months now, and I have to admit I haven't looked too hard. Murray's talents, and the effort involved in producing the book, are prodigious, but I find this kind of book less and less relevant to me as I move along my whisky journey. When Jackson first published the Companion, it was revolutionary, but the sheer volume and rapid pace of new releases these days make the comprehensiveness and currency that Murray strives for impossible. What's more, I find myself only mildly curious to know what these guys think of any particular whisky; my palate is nowhere near as sophisticated as theirs, what I look for is different from what they do, and my taste is my own. I brought the Companion with me to Scotland, and referred to it once--to look up a distillery telephone number. In fact, the essays at the beginning of the Companion, and the paragraphs and practical information for each distillery, are more valuable to me than tasting notes. I think the best Murray could do for me would be to save me from buying a truly bum bottle, and for a number of reasons, even that is doubtful.

Just my tuppence worth!

I'm starting to feel the same way (I also have lost my 2006 copy - do you think they evaporate, when we no longer need them ?) Having said that I will buy his new book, when it comes out.

On the plus side his books gave me a vocabulary to understand, whisk(e)y, especially Boubon, which I may have never really come to appreciate, without his viewpoint. Additionally, I love the way he takes a whisky on its on merits, so that a bottle you can pick up in Asda scores higher that a £5000 bottle of woody fakery.

But, he is just one man, with one opinion and there are times, when I despair of his ratings. JUST BECAUSE IT HAS PEAT AND IT IS NOT FROM ISLAY DOES NOT MEAN IT IS A GREAT WHISKY. Ahem.

If I had to take just one man's word for it, it would be JM's, but we have this forum, the guy in the shop and your sister's husband's cousin to ask, so in the end he is just one voice amonst many.

Besides I might just buy it because I like the bottle :D
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:39 am

I uspect the 2007 version will be out before Xmas but I'm just guessing so I really have to say I don't know. :?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby adogranonthepitch » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54 am

a reliable soutce says it might be until Christmas for this book.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:27 pm

At this rate, it'll be out of date by publication.

I greatly admire Jim Murray as both a write and individual. And I thoroughly enjoyed his live blind tasting.

But I find that I rely less and less on the Bible. By definition, as Jim himself accedes, its very subjective. And Jim's preferences aren't always my own.
Deactivated Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder