Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Classified - David Wishart

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Whisky Classified - David Wishart

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:15 pm

Has anyone read Whisky Classified: Choosing Single Malts by Flavour? It is by David Wishart. I read a blurb about this book in Whisky Magazine # 56.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:48 pm

You can find a short review in the Literature section at http://www.whisky-news.com.
D. Wishart is analyzing the whisky by flavours and does not give any ratings, excepted for the intensity of the flavours. The new edition is listing more whiskies, but it is still rather limited. Go and check first in a bookshop before buying it. Some like it, some don't.
Regards
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:54 pm

I Bouhgt the book recently it looks very interesting approaching the subject in a different way I will read it on holiday in august. I saw it in waterstones and it really appealed it that helps.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:13 am

I recently bought this book and I think it's fairly good, but far from perfect.

I like the idea of flavour based classification - seems a logical approach, which should helpful in finding malts you like, based on what you have tried previously.

It is a shame though, that only the standard 10-15yo bottling from each distillery is analyzed, this limits the books usefulness a lot, I think.

This would be a good book for a novice.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby WHISKYNOSE » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:58 am

[quote="Jan"]I like the idea of flavour based classification - seems a logical approach, which should helpful in finding malts you like, based on what you have tried previously.

It is a shame though, that only the standard 10-15yo bottling from each distillery is analyzed, this limits the books usefulness a lot, I think. /quote]

Hey Jan,

I fully agree !!!!
WHISKYNOSE

Postby middlecut » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:38 am

The book is clearly written but as most have said only the one signature expression from each distillery is profiled.

However the system Dr Wishart uses to profile whisky is a very interesting one. His approach involes rating the intensity of particular flavours.

In fact I was so taken with this idea I wanted to refine the system and develop an online whisky profiling tool based on it.

The system allows you to not only rate a whisky but then save that rating, share it and compare it with other peoples ratings.

So for instance you can see how your profile for a particular expression compares with the profile given my the distillery, or an expert such as Dr Wishart and (here's the clincher..) an average profile of what all users think!

the system has taken a year in the making and released in beta phase only 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I wrote a mail to Dr Wishart inviting him to be the first expert to use and promote the system. He gladly agreed. So you will be able to see what he thinks about over 120 expressions very soon

you can test the online profiling system at :

http://www.singlemaltwhiskydatabase.com

Feed back is highly encouraged!
Last edited by middlecut on Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
middlecut

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:24 am

You're missing an 'a' from http://www.singlemaltwhiskydatabse.com in the base, you have 'bse'
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby middlecut » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:56 am

thanks Lawrence.. it was late!
middlecut

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder