Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scott. Whisky Distilleries For the Whisky Enthusiast - M.Udo

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Scott. Whisky Distilleries For the Whisky Enthusiast - M.Udo

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:29 pm

By Misako Udo.

It has a published date of 30/09/06 and is available in Waterstone's bookshops and on the net.

It has far more detailed stats/facts about every Scottish whisky distillery than any other book I've ever seen. I think it is the best source of info for anyone interested in Scots whisky.

It costs 20 quid. :)
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:33 pm

ive had a copy of the first edition for about 8 months now, it is a fantastic book, and i plan on getting the 2nd edition as soon as i can.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:23 pm

I'm also planning to get this one myself if I don't get it for Christmas.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:30 am

Far from being gospel there are quite a few glaring errors, some that peole at the distilleries are not aware of but all in all an excellent piece and roll on the next edition.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:46 am

The Fachan wrote:Far from being gospel there are quite a few glaring errors, some that peole at the distilleries are not aware of but all in all an excellent piece and roll on the next edition.

What kind of errors?? Editing or more serious errors that lead the reader to believe incorrectly about the distillery??
Di Blasi

Postby The Fachan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:50 am

Di Biasi,

Off the top of my head, names of Managers some that are well out of date and ones who have never been managers.
Alleged ghosts that the distillery people have never heard off. Lists of bottlings. No major stinkers but do stand out if you are aware of them.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:07 am

Bought this latest edition in the distilleryshop at Glengoyne. Nice design. A kind of a must-have book for the enthusiast. :)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:12 pm

The Fachan wrote:Di Biasi,

Off the top of my head, names of Managers some that are well out of date and ones who have never been managers.
Alleged ghosts that the distillery people have never heard off. Lists of bottlings. No major stinkers but do stand out if you are aware of them.

Those are serious enough mistakes aren't they? Thanks for letting us know The Fachan. I hope the new edition will make those important corrections.
Di Blasi

Postby Onefortheditch » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:25 am

The book itself asks for corrections to errors. It is so stuffed full of information that it is only to be expected that errors and out of date info will exist.

What is the precentage of errors, I don't know, but I supect it is very small!!
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:04 am

ive noticed a couple, but when you consider the amount of info in the book, and the fact that it covers so many distilleres of the past, theres always going to be a couple of errors with the old distilleries, ie ownership of the site etc.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:04 am

The Fachan wrote "Off the top of my head, names of Managers some that are well out of date and ones who have never been managers.
Alleged ghosts that the distillery people have never heard off. Lists of bottlings. No major stinkers but do stand out if you are aware of them."

Sadly have to agree with F - I noticed quite a few careless errors in the entries for the few distilleries I'm familiar with, and decided not to buy. The book is intended as a work of reference. If many "facts" are inaccurate, then it doesn't serve its purpose. :(

Hopefully, the publishers will employ an editor and fix things for a new edition.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:46 pm

Iain (or anybody) notices errors please email Misako and let her know so she can correct the next edition.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Iain » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:13 pm

I'll certainly do so - can you supply her e-mail address by pm, Lawrence?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:24 pm

i have emailed, emaild a few times.
email address is in the first few pages of the book.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:18 pm

Her email address is misakoudo@hotmail.com

This address is in the front of the book so I'm not breaking any confidences.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:51 pm

Are these errors from the first edition?? I should be getting the '07 edition and wonder if these mistakes have been corrected??
Di Blasi

Postby Iain » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:23 pm

The edition I looked at was the "2007 edition" currently in the bookstores here, published in 2006.

The publishers claim that it's "the most thorough and meticulous cataloguing of the whisky industry in Scotland that there has ever been"
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks to Di Blasi's relatives giving more than one book to him for Christmas I was lucky enough to be offered to buy one of them.
Looks great and it's also a second edition. Our dear Mark Gillespie has a quote on the back too :D Looks like Mark has reached the ranks of the whisky glitterati :) Cool!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:16 am

A blurb from Diz? I gotta get that.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:33 pm

Iain wrote:The edition I looked at was the "2007 edition" currently in the bookstores here, published in 2006.

Second edition says so on the cover; "New Edition" :wink:
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:04 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Thanks to Di Blasi's relatives giving more than one book to him for Christmas I was lucky enough to be offered to buy one of them.
Looks great and it's also a second edition. Our dear Mark Gillespie has a quote on the back too :D Looks like Mark has reached the ranks of the whisky glitterati :) Cool!

My pleasure Mr Fjeld! I knew you'd appreciate it!
And really a nice surprise to see our friend Mark Gillespie quoted on the back cover's sleeve indeed! Cheers Mark, keep up the great work!
Di Blasi

Postby Iain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:13 pm

"Second edition says so on the cover; "New Edition" "

Not here

http://www.blackandwhitepublishing.com/ ... ydist.html

Maybe it's an error :D
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:00 pm

A picture of the first edtion, perhaps--not really so odd.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:10 pm

So that's the first edition then? This is the one I have - and errors have been corrected and updated such as the new distillery manager at Laphroaig and that Stuart Thomson have left Ardbeg.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Iain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Does that mean that the "New Edition" is even newer than the "2007 edition"? I appreciate that the 2007 edition was actually published in 2006 -when was the "New Edition" published? :?

Does it still say that Willie Mearns is manager of Glen Grant?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Or that Alan Greig is still manager at Stratisla?
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:10 pm

Iain & Fachan - I'll have a look at it when I get home in another 8-9 hours!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:49 pm

Iain wrote:Does that mean that the "New Edition" is even newer than the "2007 edition"? I appreciate that the 2007 edition was actually published in 2006 -when was the "New Edition" published? :?

I assume these are one and the same.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:33 am

Fachan & Iain - the answer to both your questions is yes. Does that mean it's updated or is the information incorrect.

Btw, I don't mind a few faults here and there - the book is awesome and any book of this magnitude wheter it is an encyclopedia or book used at university level will inevitably have a few errors.

Iain wrote:Does that mean that the "New Edition" is even newer than the "2007 edition"? I appreciate that the 2007 edition was actually published in 2006 -when was the "New Edition" published?

It says 2006 and as Tattieheid suggests it might be the same. I'm puzzled by the fact that the are two different editions with different text on the front cover of the same edition :?:
Mr Fjeld

Postby The Fachan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:39 am

Mr. Fjeld,

I am sorry to say Willie Mearns hasn't beem manager at Glen Grant in at least 6 years, current manager is Denis Malcolm.
Alan Greig has never even worked at Strathisla distillery never mind been the manager.
This book is still an amazing undertaking and almost impossible to keep 100% up to date and I admire the good lady for even trying this But if it mentions that Stuart Thomson has left Ardbeg but also has these errors I admit to being a little disappointed.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:00 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I'm puzzled by the fact that the are two different editions with different text on the front cover of the same edition :?:

:?: The second edition says "New Edition" on it--the first edition doesn't. At least that's what I gather.
Deactivated Member

Postby ryoma » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:20 pm

We all know that in today's economy managers change really fast and I assume that the whisky industry is not different from that.
And for such a work it's also possible to use maybe a wrong name in a wrong place.

I wonder if these are the only "major" flaws or are there any others like wrong bottlings mentioned for certain distilleries?
This would be of much more importance to me than a wrong managers name which will probably change anyway in the next few months!
ryoma

Postby Iain » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:54 pm

MR T wrote "The second edition says "New Edition" on it--the first edition doesn't. At least that's what I gather."

Mr T, check out the previous posts and the link to the publisher's page. The point is that Mr Fjeld has an edition published 2006 that says "New edition" on the cover, and there are other copies of the book, such as the one illustrated on the publisher's website, that were also published in 2006 and have "2007 Edition" on the cover. I assume that the 2007 edition is not the first edition, so we are trying to figure out if there are two "new" editions, or different covers for the one. It appears that they contain the same errors.

Someone with a copy of the first edition can settle the matter by letting us know the date of its publication?

Ryoma wrote "We all know that in today's economy managers change really fast and I assume that the whisky industry is not different from that. "

But Willie Mearns took early retirement in the Seagram days - 'way back in the 20th century! (some time in the 1990s, if memory serves).

It would have been simple to confirm the current manager's name simply by phoning or writing to the distillery in 2006, before the book (whichever edition) went to print.

That (and some other errors) made me worry for the trustworthieness of other information in the book when I leafed through the pages in my local bookstore. It's a bold and difficult venture, but I think it stands or falls as a work of reference on the level of accuracy in the information it provides.

But if other folks enjoy reading it, that's fine. I'm sure it will provide us with lots of talking points in the months ahead!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:47 pm

Okay--guess I misunderstood, and I was just speculating anyway, as I haven't seen the book at all.

I agree that finding errors in matters that you know about makes you question the information you don't know about. My dear old dad used to say that whenever you see a news story about something you know about, they always get some detail wrong, which makes you distrust anything you see on the news.
Deactivated Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:06 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:So that's the first edition then? This is the one I have - and errors have been corrected and updated such as the new distillery manager at Laphroaig and that Stuart Thomson have left Ardbeg.
[[/URL]

The one on the picture is the version 2007. The first version was from 2006 with an uniform blue soft cover. From what I read, the first edition was revised at least one.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder