Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Michael Jackson's Malt Whisky Companion

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Michael Jackson's Malt Whisky Companion

Postby williammackinnon » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:46 pm

I see the 5th edition of this book has come out here in Australia, so being a good Scotsman I bought the vastly reduced 4th edition. :wink:

In the 4th, and I found out later also the 5th, I noticed that Lagavulin 16y.o. had the same score of 95.

I didn't have time to check too many others but what I am asking is this:

Hasn't the author re-judged the whiskies included in the 4th edition on 1999, or does he think the Lagavulin of today is just as good as 8 years ago?
williammackinnon

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:20 pm

You're just getting the 5th edition? :shock: Geez, it's Australia, not the moon!

We discussed this, oh, a year and a half ago. No, Jackson has not retasted everything, some maybe since the first edition. I don't think you can look to this any longer as a definitive guidebook--only Murray's bible even tries to do that, but I'm not sure it's realistic to think anyone can do that any more, with all the product out there.

Have a look in the 5th edition and see what he says about Bowmore 17.
Deactivated Member

Re: Michael Jackson's Malt Whisky Companion

Postby Oliver » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:55 pm

williammackinnon wrote:I see the 5th edition of this book has come out here in Australia, so being a good Scotsman I bought the vastly reduced 4th edition. :wink:

In the 4th, and I found out later also the 5th, I noticed that Lagavulin 16y.o. had the same score of 95.

I didn't have time to check too many others but what I am asking is this:

Hasn't the author re-judged the whiskies included in the 4th edition on 1999, or does he think the Lagavulin of today is just as good as 8 years ago?

William,
He has indeed rejudged some.
Its hard to tell which as some are bound to end up getting the same grade. The Balvenie 15' grade has changed over the years, for example. (In this case it went down!). I also think the Glenfarclas 105 lost a few points. SOme of the Mac 18 vintages got special atention this time around (surprise :cry: ); and Bowmore inexplicably lost a bunch of reviews and its introduction was drastically shortened. On the other hand the Bruichladdich distillery little introduction has shot up dramatically in size and content and so have the grades of the malts... I think the change might roughly correspond to the departure of Jim McEwan from Bowmore and his arrival at Bruichladdich.....
I agree with the OP in another thread that the Lagavulin is dire need of another tasting session; and MJ does say in the 5th edition that it is not as intense as earlier versions...Inexplicably the -- very high -- grade stays the same....
Oliver
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder