Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

I'm wanting to start a small collection of books.

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

I'm wanting to start a small collection of books.

Postby r900p » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:16 pm

Wanting to start a collection of both old and new books related to whisky.

Can anyone recommend bookshops (high street or second-hand) known to deal with whisky books both old and new. I'm based in South Yorkshire but i often travel.

I know its a hard one but thought i'd try asking.

Thanks, Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:30 pm

rob, prob best trying on ebay.
i buy the odd vintage engineering books etc on ebay, it save scouering through bookshops i think.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

collection

Postby r900p » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:34 pm

i've seen a few on ebay. i just like to take time in shops like i do in whisky shops. like making the effort to do something. But i suppose, ebay, then i can sit in in front of a nice open fire, with the dogs, whisky in one hand seraching the web. and order tesco online for the girlfriend.

cheers vitara7
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:36 pm

vitara7 wrote:rob, prob best trying on ebay.
i buy the odd vintage engineering books etc on ebay, it save scouering through bookshops i think.

Vitara7

Your probably bidding against me on those engineering books, I have quite a collection of Ketchum books on my shelf right now. Most have been obtained through ebay. I will agree it is a great place for old books.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:47 pm

yeh, when you think of all the book shops, the scowering them etc, you can just type in a few words and search loads, including worldwide. i do the same for collectable bottles, theres a lot of whisky thats overpriced on ebay, but theres also a bottles that isnt overpriced. ive got many bargin bottles of whisky on ebay. i got a bargin glen flagler last week in fact.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:57 pm

I've got to agree with the overpriced and the bargains, you can get both on ebay. You just need to know the value of what you are shopping for.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:32 am

Amazon have a fair selection too including some vintage books.

If you are in South Yorkshire you could borrow some of mine if you like. Not got a huge selection though... :wink:

There was a very good second hand bookshop down Division Street in Sheffield back when I was a student but I haven't stopped by for a few years. Can't remember the name of it though. It's just opposite where the grassy area is at the university end.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:21 am

Searching "whisky" in "books" at http://www.amazon.co.uk gets 358 results. There's a start! I'd think a good place to begin would be with Barnard and Aeneas MacDonald, and now that I think of it....
Deactivated Member

Division Street

Postby r900p » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:35 pm

TheLaddie,

Its still there the book shop though never been in, will now though. Ofthe walking down there from uni into town.

Thanks
r900p
Double Gold Member

Re: Division Street

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:16 pm

r900p wrote:TheLaddie,

Its still there the book shop though never been in, will now though. Ofthe walking down there from uni into town.

Thanks

Excellent. Let me know how it is nowadays and I may be tempted up there myself some time. Like all good second hand bookshops it is a maze of small rooms.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:49 pm

Continueing the on-line bit

Play.com have a good selection of WHisky books too and the stated price includes delivery so sometimes works out much cheaper than amazon.

a quick selection

Whisky - Aeneas Macdonald
In stock.
Usually dispatched within 24 hours.
our price: £7.49 Delivered

Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - Jim Murray
In stock.
our price: £7.49 Delivered

Malt Whisky Companion - Michael Jackson
In stock.
our price: £12.99 Delivered
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:13 pm

The Laddie

I went into that shop on division street, room after room after room, great, the smell is pretty good too, well it beats the smell of the library at unu anyway. As requested i'm letting you know what i found, Scotch - The whisky of scotland in fact and story by Sir Robert Bruce Lockhart. for £2. Some late night reading after reading journals for my dissertation mind. Planning on trying the book shop uo in Broomhill.

But before that i want to get down to Mainly malts, got a Bruichladdich 12 2nd Ed when i was last in (first time in mind). See the private cellar bottling of Bruichladdich and thought if it a good one i'll try a bottle of that.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:31 pm

r900p wrote:I went into that shop on division street, room after room after room, great, the smell is pretty good too, well it beats the smell of the library at unu anyway. As requested i'm letting you know what i found, Scotch - The whisky of scotland in fact and story by Sir Robert Bruce Lockhart. for £2. Some late night reading after reading journals for my dissertation mind. Planning on trying the book shop uo in Broomhill.

Excellent. The way you describe it makes me want to go back over and renew my aquaintance with a few haunts. Is Jack's Records still open down there? Perhaps the main drain on my grant at the time... :D

r900p wrote:But before that i want to get down to Mainly malts, got a Bruichladdich 12 2nd Ed when i was last in (first time in mind). See the private cellar bottling of Bruichladdich and thought if it a good one i'll try a bottle of that.

Ron gave me a sample of this from the stock from a tasting I missed (I was at a symposium on the management of oesophageal cancer in London, not much keeps me away from the tastings...) A sweet Laddie (unlike me...) Slips down very easily. Don't suppose you got yourself a ticket for Thursday night did you?
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:38 pm

i got a bottle of bruichladdich enlightenmanet and it came with a ltd edtion book, (isnt everything from bruichladdich ltd edtion lol) anyways, its a reprint of a bok from a couple of hunderad years ago and its a very good read if you can geta coopy. if i remember it was the first real attempt at standardisation within the distilling industry as a whole.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:05 am

Vitara7 i think i got that one too, whisky shop in York mne came from, but don't know about the enlightenent bit, its just got limited edition on the bottle and the book and bottle are both numbered and presented in an orange box.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:10 am

TheLaddie,

Jacks is still there, although i'm only in shef for a year doing a masters, think they sell gig tickets there etc. But fropp is a new cd, vinyl shop which is cheap, most people appear to go there.

Another good place i like is the dram shop up thrugh crookes, got some nice things there, run of the mill mind nothing too special, but the prices certainly cater for the students.

But thursad night i haven't heard of, but this time of year i' permantly sat at the computer working, thank god for this forum i may have lost may mind, although i may loose my girlfriend as im always ont eh forum.

But no rest assured Jacks is still there.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:16 am

the enlightenment bit comes from the fact that the book was written during what was known as the period of enligtenment within the distilling industy.
if i recall the englightenment is on the front of the box and on the label on the bottle.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:18 am

ah well don't think mine is the enlightenment then, all i know is it accompaies malcolm greenwoords book.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:27 am

ah thats a diffrent one.

that was a valinch that was done for the print of malcoms book.

they done some with the book and some without.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:41 am

r900p wrote:Another good place i like is the dram shop up thrugh crookes, got some nice things there, run of the mill mind nothing too special, but the prices certainly cater for the students.

Yeah. Been a couple of years since I went in there. Went downhill a bit when I was there in the 90s. Used to be a lot more "dram" in the dram shop. I remember looking up at the high (unreachable) shelves at 1960s Glenlivets wondering how on Earth anyone could ever want to spend more than £100 on a bottle of whisky...(I have since done this three times) They used to have a brilliant selection of dusty old vintage ports as well.

The shop is much more wine orientated now and, as you say, more Lambrini than Dom Perignon.

r900p wrote:thank god for this forum i may have lost may mind, although i may loose my girlfriend as im always ont eh forum.

This is a good place to get your mind off stuff sometimes, or just give your brain a rest without letting it switch off entirely, but don't go losing your girlfriend over it. You could always cut back on the work to give her more of your time.... :roll:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am

Looking for a book ?

Live in the UK?

Well try here ......

Hay-on Wye (seemingly more book shops than people :wink: )

http://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:15 pm

Take a look at http://www.classicexpressions.co.uk for 2 great whisky classics available right now!
:P
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder