Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Maps of Scotland - help finding some please

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Whisky Maps of Scotland - help finding some please

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:54 pm

Not quite whisky books, but what I am looking for is a supply of Scottish whisky / distillery maps.

Every time I run whisky tastings I am being asked about the locations of the distilleries that we are sampling.
I have an old whisky map which I bought on a trip to Scotland at least 15 years ago, probably more, which I now use at the tastings. But people are asking if they can get hold of one for themselves.

Basically, I am looking for a supply of maps which I can offer to the participants at my tastings.
I have tried various Scottish sites and Google, but not yet found what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know a bookshop / map shop / whisky shop where I could get a supply sent over to me?

Thanks in advance for your help,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby M.B » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:58 pm

The Whisky Store has a great whiskymap called Scotland's Distilleries.

Regards,
M.B
M.B

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:04 pm

Do you mean WhiskyStore 'de' Theresia Luning?

I have looked through that catalogue and the website but can't find any maps.

I also tried some Scottish tourist board sites and also drew blanks.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby M.B » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:36 am

Yes. But I see now that it seems as this poster isn't for sale there anymore, sorry.

M.B
M.B

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:50 am

Late yesterday evening I found an Amazon seller offering a version of whisky map that looks to suit my requirements. I have now mailed a question asking about supplying more than one and am awaiting a reply.

I also saw that 2 sellers on Amazon are offering the same Bartholomew map that I already have as a personal copy.

For €154 and €235 respecitively! :shock:
What's all that about then? :?:

Should I be offering mine for sale as a special collector's item? :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:22 pm

If your looking for a handy travel map collins do a whisky map, i shall be taking it up to Islay at the end of the month.

Collins Whisky map of scotlland, it features notes on over 30 ditilleries as well as showing where they all are. Its conpiled by Andrew Elder, the webiste on the mpa is http://www.fireandwater.com, but cost was £3.25. It folds away into the size of an Ordance suvey map, or 3 inches by 10 estimate!

Found is very useful and highly recommend it.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:31 am

I know it's not what you're looking for, but I found this interactive map while googling around, and thought it might be of interest.
Deactivated Member

Postby Photon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:34 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I know it's not what you're looking for, but I found this interactive map while googling around, and thought it might be of interest.

Sounds like the perfect activity to enjoy with a rare old Glen Googly.

:wink:
Photon
Bronze Member

Re: Whisky Maps of Scotland - help finding some please

Postby Bullie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:17 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Does anyone know a bookshop / map shop / whisky shop where I could get a supply sent over to me?

Thanks in advance for your help,
MT

At Neil Wilson Publishing you'll find this one:

The Angels' Share Malt Whisky Map Of Scotland
Author: Neil Wilson
ISBN: 1903238420
Price: £ 7.99

There have been whisky maps before, but this new map is the best to date. In full colour (with a wealth of distillery information on the reverse) the map gives a full view of the whisky producing regions of Scotland. James MacEwan has redrawn the regional boundaries of these in an attempt to simplify this aspect of the industry.

Jim's unique notes are incorporated on the reverse along with a distillery directory, website addresses, cooperage notes, cask information, Landranger OS map refs and some interesting distillery terms and a Highland distilling licence from 1793.

So if your interest is purely academic, or that of an enthusiast and whisky lover, this new map will be essential for your bookshelf or library wall.

For the first time the Speyside distilleries are incorporated into the body of the map and not as an inset. The new Campbeltown, Shetland, Islay and Fife distilleries are featured for the first time.

The map will also be available in flat format for wall hanging.

I have a copy myself and do find it useful sometimes.
Here's a link to the site:
NWP
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:19 am

MT I bought a map from Amazon a couple of years ago Its called The malt Whisky Map of Scotland. Its published by Angels Share.

It has an ISBN 1-903238-42-0

Its excellent its like a michelin or Ordanance survey map and has all the current distilleries and those closed since 1960 on it. On the pack are the addresses and phone numbers of the distilleries.

It might be the sort of thing you are looking for.

Les.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:21 am

I can't believe that Bullie has posted the same post as me whilst I was typing it up.

:shock:
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:33 am

Thanks for this as so far, I have recieved no reply from my prospective Amazon seller.

Strange, but I never had any problems with Amazon itself as a supplier, but I have only had problems or no responses from individual sellers using Amazon as a platform.

So, although this "Angels Share" seems quite expensive, I shall follow-up and report back.

Thanks,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:41 am

les taylor wrote:I can't believe that Bullie has posted the same post as me whilst I was typing it up.

:shock:

;) Magic.... 8)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:00 am

MT my map cost £7.99

:)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:36 am

Someone in my work just gave me a spare copy he had of the Collins Whisky Map. Very nice it is too and it has £1 off on Amazon.
Deactivated Member

Postby MTy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:37 am

Hi,

I am a new member here. I have been wondering about participating this forum for quite a long time. Even if the thread was started by a name MT I am a totally different person :)

As I was looking at my storage a while back I found a good reason to sign in and participate the discussions.
I found a Malt Whisky Map from my closet and remembered I bought it around 10 years ago or so (give or take few years). It is unfolded map of “Malt Whisky Map of Scotland and Northern Ireland”. There is a Angels Share logo on the top. I noted this old thread and assume the mentions for this map here refers to a folded on, yes ?

I was looking into net also otherwise and found some more mentions about the folded version. Seems however that there is a very little information about the unfolded poster size one, its size is around 67,5 x 97,5 cm. Was it normally sold in stores or just from certain places? Or was it an exclusive for some? Anyway I was thinking is there any more infromation about the map itself and is it rare?

Sorry if this is something basic that I just “should know” but don’t.

Br,
MTy
MTy

Postby Drmjrossmba » Fri May 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Ive just published the Scotch Malt Whisky Investment & Enjoyment guide on Kindle which gives a few links to good historic maps:

www.leap-gallery.com/gallery.html?page= ... egory_id=6
blogs.nls.uk/bartholomew/?p=41
www.lfw.co.uk/1902.html
Drmjrossmba

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder