Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Robin Laing, The Whisky River: Distilleries of Speyside

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Robin Laing, The Whisky River: Distilleries of Speyside

Postby Iain » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:54 am

Got a copy today. Haven't had time to read it yet, but it's a handy size and well-presented.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:58 am

I'd really like to hear about this one!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Iain » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:59 pm

I'll write a wee review - it'll be my bed-side reading for the next few evenings.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Is this the same Robin Laing who sings so eloquently of the beauty of a dram?
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:10 pm

The very same...
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:29 pm

How do you go about purchasing a copy? Which shop has copies? I looked at LFW but no luck.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:59 pm

Lawrence wrote:How do you go about purchasing a copy? Which shop has copies? I looked at LFW but no luck.

Lawrence Amazon UK are listing it. But quoting 4 to 6 weeks. Do you have Amazon or similar in your neck of the woods.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks Les, I've ordered a copy, not sure why I didn't think of amazon.co.uk

:x

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Iain » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:38 pm

From what I've read so far, I can certainly recommend it. Especially as a handy-sized companion for folks visiting Speyside distilleries. A good, light balance of history, local folklore and tasting/production notes, and the author has a good, easy writing style. Along with a few songs, anecdotes and poetry at the end of each distillery section.

The artist Bob Dewar isn't to my taste, but I know lots of folks like his stuff - he does the artwork for the SMWS among other things.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Robin Laing is appearing in Dufftown at the Autumn Festival: http://www.dufftown.co.uk
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Re:

Postby corbuso » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:12 pm

Iain wrote:From what I've read so far, I can certainly recommend it. Especially as a handy-sized companion for folks visiting Speyside distilleries.

I can only agree with you and everyone will learn something in this book. Not too serious and too detailed, it reads easily and smoothly. A very good read and highly recommended, as his latest CD.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Re:

Postby corbuso » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:13 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:Robin Laing is appearing in Dufftown at the Autumn Festival: http://www.dufftown.co.uk

And he appreciated the Dregs Party quite well :-) He was amongst the last one to leave the shop.
corbuso
Gold Member

Re: Re:

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:37 pm

corbuso wrote:
BruceCrichton wrote:Robin Laing is appearing in Dufftown at the Autumn Festival: http://www.dufftown.co.uk

And he appreciated the Dregs Party quite well :-) He was amongst the last one to leave the shop.

I noticed him later and he was well refreshed. It was a pleasure to meet him and hear his songs and I have a signed copy of his bookwhich my mate is getting for his christmas.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Re: Robin Laing, The Whisky River: Distilleries of Speyside

Postby famork7 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:35 pm

Too much reference to Barnard (1887). There is so much happening today that history has its place for those who want to know it. There has been a clutch (too many - and why?!) of Barnard revivals recently. Let us keep him in his historical context.

'The Whisky River' is a book that lacks what Speyside is all about - an exciting area of Scotland with the river and hills yearning to be photographed. Cartoons of Dewar's particular style are not really relevant.

Yes, there are good tales and anecdotes, and poems and other literary goodies, but a new book in the oversubscribed world of books on Scotch whisky needs a purpose - a raison d'etre - and The Whisky River is not quite in touch.
famork7

Postby jmrl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:18 pm

It is certainly a point to ask what is there left new to be written on Scotch whisky and the ease of re-hashing of earlier offerings. However this doesn't mean there is no benefit from reference and comparison. Personally I like both Barnard's old fashioned use of language and Robin's style of writing. To talk about a distillery as part of the land and people is so much more engaging than mere facts bullet pointed. Although the latter style is just as valid in its own context. i would recommend The Whisky River to somebody looking for an informal and informative text on Speyside and its distilleries. I hope this is the start to a series. It would be great if every distillery had a contempory review in this style or the comprehensive and less poetic approach of Ulf Buxrud in his marvelous Rare Malts. The illustrations are perhaps too quirky for some tastes but by the same measure offer a refreshing break from the norm. In my opinion (obviously)
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:15 pm

I read the book and found it entertaining, though I was surprised that he missed out the distilleries near Huntly like Glendronach and Ardmore.

The book was light and enjoyable and describes a little about the history of the distilleries and the people who work there, plus a short piece, in some cases, about the whisky itself.

Recommended reading.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder