Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

WHAT ARE YOU READING NOW? (whisky books only)

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

WHAT ARE YOU READING NOW? (whisky books only)

Postby The Dazzler » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:27 am

What are you reading now as far as whisky books? I am looking through a Whisky Mischellany by Iain Slinn and I find myself flicking forward looking for bits to read. I think the Jackson Companion is the best book out there at the moment, it has a wee bit of everything from history to how whisky is made and then the stuff on distilleries and tasting notes. Jim Murray, his bible is by far the most comprehensive as far as tasting notes from distilleries from around the world. (And up-to-date) The Whisky Year book is good as it reminds me of getting the Broons annual each Christmas. And Charlie MacLean is the best when it comes to history and knowledge of the industry.

Are there any smaller named books which should be reccomended, I have Pip Hills, Appreciating Whisky, Misako Udo, The Scottish Whisky Distilleries and The Making Of Scotch Whisky by John R Hume and Michael S Moss that I would reccomend as some lesser known books available.

Salinte!!
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:32 am

Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. Amazing to think it was first printed in 1930. He never used the pseudonym Aenas Macdonald again after writing this book. His real name was George Malcom Thomson.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 am

les taylor wrote:Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. Amazing to think it was first printed in 1930. He never used the pseudonym Aenas Macdonald again after writing this book. His real name was George Malcom Thomson.

Finished that a couple of weeks ago ... can't recomend it enough... handy sized book and nice easy read and still very relevant today.

Don't think I'd take it as my desert island book though, as Charles McClean suggests, as it is a bit too short for that.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:45 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
les taylor wrote:Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. Amazing to think it was first printed in 1930. He never used the pseudonym Aenas Macdonald again after writing this book. His real name was George Malcom Thomson.

Finished that a couple of weeks ago ... can't recomend it enough... handy sized book and nice easy read and still very relevant today.

Don't think I'd take it as my desert island book though, as Charles McClean suggests, as it is a bit too short for that.

IWC it could be a very small Island that you're only going to spend a short period of time on. :wink:
les taylor

Postby Ian Buxton » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:02 am

...or maybe Charlie MacLean is a very slow reader!

:mrgreen:
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Haigblend » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:13 pm

:P Yesterday bought myself a small book by Gavin D. Smith Whisky a Brief History published in 2007.
The book looks to me more intended for the novice.

There is some other stuff:

The Whisky Men
Gavin D. Smith

and

Peat, Smoke and Spirit (about the Islay whiskies, it's history, present and past of all the distilleries)
Andrew Jefford

I enjoyed them very much !!!!!

There is more to enjoy, not only in how one enjoy the taste, but also history :thumbsup:
Need some othet titles just let me know.

Haigblend
Holland
Haigblend

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:35 pm

Currently reading the latest issue of the Malt Advocate, WM Issye 64 and The Whisky River by Robin Laing.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby corbuso » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:24 am

Lawrence wrote:Currently reading the latest issue of the Malt Advocate, WM Issye 64 and The Whisky River by Robin Laing.

And enjoying the whisky river? I have ordered last week, but I don't really know what to expect.
Currently, trying to finish reading "Scotch: The liquid History" from MacLean, but the book is not the most motivating one to read and will be glad to start a new one.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:55 am

I now have a few unread whisky books, but due to work overload and time pressures, they are having to remain unread.

:(
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:04 am

"Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. "

Les, how do you pronounce "Aenas?"

Methinks someone's parents were a tad unkind...not to mention "heinous"!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:18 am

Reggaeblues wrote:"Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. "

Les, how do you pronounce "Aenas?"

Methinks someone's parents were a tad unkind...not to mention "heinous"!

RB it's pronounced Aenas. :wink: His real name is George. Aenas was what he chose for himself. I've postponed my reading of it until my holiday later in the month.

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:10 pm

Mr Picky sez that's spelled "Aeneas". Not at all sure of pronunciation, but would guess "N e s" (say the letters).
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:01 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Mr Picky sez that's spelled "Aeneas". Not at all sure of pronunciation, but would guess "N e s" (say the letters).

Mr Picky is quite right.

So would that be pronounced Ae Nes then?
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:41 pm

Say it out loud, Les: N e s. Enn-ee-ess.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:35 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Say it out loud, Les: N e s. Enn-ee-ess.

So you mean N- E- S.

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:19 pm

No, I mean N e s...accent on the first syllable. For all I know, though, it could be n A s. (No age statement!)
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:52 am

Picked up a copy of Misako Udo's Scottish Whisky Distilleries book a few weeks ago. A great book, packed with information.

Perfect for the smallest room in the house
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Back in Paris, I happened on a a box of old books from my youth, and am now reading the bluffers guide to Whisky. Prescient and very amusing!!
Anyone else read it?
Oliver
Silver Member

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING NOW? (whisky books only)

Postby jmrl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:45 pm

Just finished Hans Offringa's The Road To Craigellachie. An easy and engaging road book of whisky. Most of us could do this if we could string a sentence together. Trust he got the spelling right for the new book on Laphroaig! A bit like Tom Morton's Spirit oif Adventure. Also reading Robin Laing's Whisky River, again a pleasing read without the depth of Ulf Buxrud's excellent Rare Malts but with much more readability.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re:

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:57 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:No, I mean N e s...accent on the first syllable. For all I know, though, it could be n A s. (No age statement!)

According to my classicist daughter it is pronounced eye-nee-ess. I believe her. She is nerdy :) .
Willie JJ

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I have been waiting for Peat, Smoke and Spirit which I ordered from Amazon a month ago. They are out of stock and wont have any until next year Jan 2008.

I received my copy of Whisk(e?)y Magazine but I am reserving to read this in the plane on my way to San Francisco for the Christmas holiday with families.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Re:

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:24 pm

corbuso wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Currently reading the latest issue of the Malt Advocate, WM Issye 64 and The Whisky River by Robin Laing.

And enjoying the whisky river? I have ordered last week, but I don't really know what to expect.
Currently, trying to finish reading "Scotch: The liquid History" from MacLean, but the book is not the most motivating one to read and will be glad to start a new one.

Reading 'The Whisky River' just now. It is an enjoyable read and contains interesting nuggets of info. I think the subtitle 'Distilleries of Speyside' is more accurate though. It is really just a compendium of distillery profiles. There is not much to contextualise the distilleries into Speyside as a region (if such a thing exists).
Willie JJ

Postby hook55 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:01 am

I'm reading 3 books the first is Michael Jackson's WHISKY World Guide, and Jim Murry's Bible 2006, ( Yes I know I'm behide the times!) the last one is Michael Jackson again the Whisky Companion, I am enjoying all three. (in between drinks of course.) :D :o
hook55
Silver Member

Postby jmrl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:27 am

Two thirds of the way through Stuart Delves' Great Brand Stories - Scotch Whisky. Although some of the content won't be new to most readers it is the refreshing approach to the subject which makes this book such a good read. the author genuinely has a flair for imaginative writing. His chapter about the angels share is really inspired. He tells the whisky story as a product representing a country's real and manufactured identity. Some passages are enlightening from an historic point of view, more than my B pass at O' grade History managed. If you want a break from the fine but formulaic distillery descriptions and bottling reviews then I can recommend this- hopefully the last third isn't pants.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:15 am

I just (this minute) finished Arthur Swinson's Scotch on the Rocks. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed reading a book related to whisky that much. It is the true story of the SS Politician which grounded in the sound of Eriskay in 1941 with a reputed 24,000 cases of whisky aboard. It is of course the story on which Whisky Galore was based, and Swinson's account is, if less lyrical, just as entertaining as Compton McKenzie's novel. Maybe it means more to me because I know the place as my brother-in-law lives on South Uist, but regardless, the book is great.

I looked for a picture of the sound, which is now bridged by a causeway, but couldn't find one. This pic is from the West coast of Eriskay looking North to South Uist.

Willie JJ

Postby mikeymad » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:49 am

I have been poking at the Whisky Yearbook 2008. I really like it.

I always have a Jim Bible and a Michael book around for reference.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Ryguy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:59 pm

I've been reading through my latest purchase. Michael Jackson's Whiskey - The Definitive World Guide, what a great book with some really good information. I'm enjoying it so far. :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:50 am

Last night I finished reading Allen Andrews' The Whisky Barons. Great bios of Jimmy Buchanan and Tommy Dewar alongside a fascinating account of Francis Berry's role during the prohibition in the US. Also had me thinking about seeking out a range of blends to explore. There's so much to learn and so little liver.
Willie JJ

Postby jmrl » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:23 pm

I liked the touch of quirk and irreverance the author had. Never heard of him before or since.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 pm

I've recently gotten Kevin Erskine's book "Instant Expert's Guide to Single Malt Scotch, 2nd edition" and am looking very forward to diving in sometime soon.
Di Blasi

Postby Iain » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Last night I finished reading Allen Andrews' The Whisky Barons. Great bios of Jimmy Buchanan and Tommy Dewar alongside a fascinating account of Francis Berry's role during the prohibition in the US.

Great book - can't understand why it's not better known. Unlike many others, it gives lots of previously unpublished info and a fresh, original approach. So many others just rehash Craig, Moss & Hume and a few other books.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby dylanf84 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:57 am

Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch 5th Edition. I'm going to buy the Whisky Bible 2008 and the Malt Whiskey Yearbook 2008 in the near future probably, so I can have the 3 most popular ones up on my bookshelf for my reading pleasure.
dylanf84

Postby Maccy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:44 am

I am half way through Philip Hills' book Appreciating Whisky; and a very fine book it is indeed.

I've just picked one up called "The Whisky Men" which looks like a bit of an historical insight into the distilleries - I shall wait and see.
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 am

Bourbon, Straight

by Charles K. Cowdery

Good book about american whiskey, enlightning me about an area I didn't know much about

/Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby jmrl » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Belles, Bluegrass and Bourbon from 1967, political incorrectness a sign of the era but otherwise okay, lots of references to what must be vanished distlleries and previous owners compared to today.

Whisky Men agreat rad especially about Delme Evans and George Christie. Appreciating Whisky seems to be difficult to find a copy of.
jmrl
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder