Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Malt Whisky Yearbook 2008

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Malt Whisky Yearbook 2008

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:25 am

Yes, the Malt Whisky Yearbook 2008 is out already (at least, I just got my advance copy in the post, ahead of the strike).
Looks to have moved on from last year and has improved on an already good job.
Great writers :mrgreen: (but I would say that, wouldn't I?)
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Re: Malt Whisky Yearbook 2008

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:17 pm

This year's edition is, as ever, a classic. Well worth getting.

Ian - your article's excellent. Well written and captivating. In a class above some of the other articles.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:29 pm

I cannot but agree! What a discerning reader.
:oops:
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:58 pm

Got mine had no time to look at it yet. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Really glad a friend ordered an extra copy, cause now I've been introduced to it. I haven't purchased it in the past, big mistake, cause now I've perused it a bit, I know it's one I will continue to buy in the future. With Ian Buxton among one of the many top writers of the book, it's to be respected, praised and followed by any passionate whisky fanatic looking for the latest and most accurate information and assistance from the top in the field that know first hand what's going on! Great work, looking forward to diving deeper into it!
Di Blasi

Postby corbuso » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:39 am

I have ordered this book from Amazon November last year and the delivery estimate is 2-6 October 2008.
I think that I will delete my order.
The MWY 2009 is scheduled for October 2008 or?
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Ha?? Weird they're already selling or taking orders for next year, or this coming year's edition. Maybe you've ordered the future one, but that 2008 edition is available and fantastic, great reading!!
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:42 pm

I ordered 2 copies in November for my brother and I. They came within a couple of days. No problem.

:)
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:24 pm

I'm glad a friend ordered an extra copy, got it from him, introducing me to it and now I'm a fan and will continue buying it.
Di Blasi

Postby mikeymad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Got mine from Amazon (late Christmas) just the other day.

Great book, highly recomended.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby corbuso » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Problem fixed! One of the other book that I ordered with the Malt Whisky Yearbook had been delayed from Dec 2007 to October 2008! As soon as I deleted that other book, my order was processed immediately, so I should get my hands on it very soon!
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:14 pm

corbuso, usually Amazon is good about sending things out separately when they realize delivery dates vary, and don't even charge the extra delivery. It's been my experience anyway, fantastic! So they would've probably sent out the Yearbook and delayed the other eventually.
Di Blasi

Postby corbuso » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Di Blasi wrote:corbuso, usually Amazon is good about sending things out separately when they realize delivery dates vary, and don't even charge the extra delivery. It's been my experience anyway, fantastic! So they would've probably sent out the Yearbook and delayed the other eventually.

Most of the time yes, but unfortunately not in my case.
Anyway, I finally got it and read it within a week and just posted my review (http://www.whisky-news.com/En/literature2.html). I was positively surprised by the book, since I haven't had the feeling of reading a simple update of a previous version, like for all other books which are updated on a yearly basis or so. I am up now for the 2009 version!

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Yes, I too am very impressed so far, and find it's the best source for current info after the online world which is of course tough to compete with. I'm looking forward to the 2009 edition already too. :thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:39 pm

This was sitting on my desk at work waiting for me on my return from Canada. Not had any time to do anything more that quickly flick through it but I love the photos and distillery descriptions although I see that it probably will need to be used in conjunction with the Bible as it doesn't quite have as much content.

Nice to see photos of actual bottles, though.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:10 pm

butephoto wrote:This was sitting on my desk at work waiting for me on my return from Canada. Not had any time to do anything more that quickly flick through it but I love the photos and distillery descriptions although I see that it probably will need to be used in conjunction with the Bible as it doesn't quite have as much content.

Have a closer look, it's a great book! It differs to the bible as the bible focuses on tasted whisky and some good info on whisky news past and upcoming, etc, whereas The Malt Whisky Yearbook focuses on more recent news, (published in October), and more about the history and current status of the distilleries. :thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Jonathan I'm with you. I think it's an excellent addition to whisky reading material. I like the fact of having up to date bottlings along with other material for each of the distilleries. :thumbsup:
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
butephoto wrote:This was sitting on my desk at work waiting for me on my return from Canada. Not had any time to do anything more that quickly flick through it but I love the photos and distillery descriptions although I see that it probably will need to be used in conjunction with the Bible as it doesn't quite have as much content.

Have a closer look, it's a great book! It differs to the bible as the bible focuses on tasted whisky and some good info on whisky news past and upcoming, etc, whereas The Malt Whisky Yearbook focuses on more recent news, (published in October), and more about the history and current status of the distilleries. :thumbsup:

I agree, which is why I said I will use it in conjunction with the Bible. Both good books, both covering a different angle.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm actually enjoying and am finding the articles of interest. Well done.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:11 pm

A little question: in the little map at the back which has all the distilleries pinpointed, it tells you whether they are open, closed, dismantled or demolished. Thing is, (d) and (dm) could both be either dismantled or demolished. Anyone know which is which?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:12 pm

S'okay, I worked it out from Littlemill (d).

:wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:16 pm

D is for demolished
DM is for dismantled.

:)
les taylor

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder