Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

DK EYEWITNESS COMPANION - "WHISKY"

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

DK EYEWITNESS COMPANION - "WHISKY"

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:41 pm

This book was published today.

Obviously, I've only flicked through it, but appears much like all the other books in the Eyewitness series.

High quality (if small) colour photography throughout.

Good looking sections on blended whisky and on whiskies of the world. "Generic" tasting notes on each distillery's 'core' best-selling single malt. Usual titbits on history/making of whisky. Usual titbits about distillery history.

Get this if you're a whisky book hoarder or a beginner. Not otherwise.

Be warned. The font is tiny. Not recommended for reading under a dim lamp at bed-time.
Deactivated Member

Re: DK EYEWITNESS COMPANION - "WHISKY"

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Returned to this after a break and am now half way through it. Smashing book. Just wish again that they'd made it twice the size, so that the font was bigger and the beautiful photos were larger.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:33 pm

I won this in a competition and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't looked at it as yet. I will dig it out tonight and have a gander!

:iwbrnt:

Only £8.44 on Amazon!
Deactivated Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Disgraceful!
I'm quite hurt actually.

:(
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:36 pm

I should have bought it when I was in New York in April! If it's the one I think I saw, but I was a bit rushed unfortunately.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:30 pm

Have now finally finished this book.

Font size apart, I can't praise it enough.

Lots of factual info. that was totally new to be. And I really loved the photography.

Just shows how wrong first impressions ( see my first post on this thread ) can be.
Deactivated Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:41 am

I just received this as a gift from a buddy , while we were involved in draining some drams. He was clearing up some of his older collection and invited me for an evening of pool and whisky tasting.

I've been perusing it in the "reading room" when time allows and quite enjoying it. It is not as detailed in the numbers of whiskies sampled a la Michael Jackson, but appears to touch on the most readily available (elsewhere than Canada) from each distillery. The font isn't a concern for me and I find it a generally decent rounded book to have in your collection.

I've even learned something I didn't know, that "Old Parr" really did exist! Poor devil died after he was summonsed to London to meet the King. At that age, the monarch should've gone to see him!

It's always a good day when you learn something new.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Had my morning chuckle reading page 177 today:
"Tullamore Dew ...very grainy and lacking much in depth. Best served over ice with a sweet mixer like cola" (Italics mine)
A most damning comment, gently phrased. Well played Charles, well played.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 am

Credit where credit's due.

Peter Mulryan wrote the Irish section.

It's the way he tells 'em!
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:28 am

Ian Buxton wrote:Credit where credit's due.

Peter Mulryan wrote the Irish section.

It's the way he tells 'em!
Sorry...
A most damning comment, gently phrased. Well played Peter, well played.

With a fine and noble name like Peter I can only surmise he is a fine judge of good whisky and fast horses. I had actually wondered who had written what and after I finished the book was planning on reviewing some of the articles in WM to decipher who wrote what.

An enjoyable collaborative effort, Ian, and since my eyes are in good shape, I have no problems with the font at all. Will this volume continue as an ongoing project from time to time? Or was it a "one off"?

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby davindek » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:27 pm

I'm embarrased to say I only just got to this book and I am quite impressed. This is the first book to buy anyone interested in whisky. Very comprehensive and far-reaching. I really recommend it.
davindek

Postby jmrl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Agreed, this is a top quality publication. Lots of little distilleries from the US and Europe get a decent mention which is great help as info on these guys is pretty thin. Otherwie the detailed round up of brands and stills, including grain, as well as insightful looks into the background to each nation's industry offers lots of new contrabutions.

I thought the printed text was challenging too but found when I turned the book the right way up things improved greatly.

Recommended.
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder