Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

new book : Whiskey and other spirits for dummies

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

new book : Whiskey and other spirits for dummies

Postby jmrl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:27 pm

spotted this in mainstream book store today. Couldn't get a proper look at it as bairn was with me. Part of 'For Dummies' series Amazon got it knocked down from the rrp £13.99
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: new book : Whiskey and other spirits for dummies

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:29 pm

I skimmed it once in Waterstones over a coffee. Wasn't at all impressed by the whisky section. Too general to be of any interest to most on this Forum.
Deactivated Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:10 pm

This book is shocking. The credits listed many editors. They are not worth what they get paid! The book offers the opportunity to feedback. I spent time feeding back alerting them to their (serious) shortcomings. No reply to date. Whiskey by Dummies. I don't understand as the gentleman writing it is more than qualified to comment. But peaty flavours are not generated by burning peat under the still. It would be amusing if they weren't making so much money under false pretences. Is US litigation laws something I should worry about?
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby John McGill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:59 pm

jmrl wrote:But peaty flavours are not generated by burning peat under the still.

After a crap day followed by the evening being ruined by being on call and having to spend the evening doing remote support your post brought a smile to my face :thumbsup:
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby longboarder11 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:51 am

Last night I stumbled across my copy of Complicity by Ian Banks. Not entirely a drinker's companion but chapter 3 is called Chill Filter and is essential reading for any fan of non-chill filtered. I completely helped me get my head properly around the whole straight from the cask thing.
Cheers.
longboarder11

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder