Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wm Grant's The Whisky 'Companion'

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Wm Grant's The Whisky 'Companion'

Postby jmrl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 pm

Being a bibliophile when it comes to whisky books I bought this when it first came out in 2004/05 then just dumped it on the ever growing pile. I assumed it would be full of marketing. On picking it up recently I was very pleased to find a well written book by a clutch of different authors. Jumping from familiar names in whisky writing circles to members of staff at William Grant and other worthies a balance was struck between writing styles and experience. The detail paid attention to in the varying topics is a refreshing change from the same old material. Particularly illuminating for me were the passages on sherry and grain distillation.
I'm not sure if this is still available, from distillery only I believe, it may even have been updated.
I don't like to make recommendations as people's tastes, budgets and needs all differ but I think this title deserves a good look.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Wm Grant's The Whisky 'Companion'

Postby Ian Buxton » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:30 pm

A greatly under-rated and not at all well-known little book. I don't think it was promoted as it should have been, but there was a change of personnel at Grants about the time it came out and it suffered from 'not invented here'.
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder