Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Magazine Tastings - First 10 Years

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Postby Matt2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:32 pm

All great ideas have to have a starting point, a genesis, the moment of conception. Whether this is written on the back of a piece of paper during a discussion in a bar and considered coolly in the light of all the pertinent facts, there is always such a point in time.

Whisky Magazine started with the former. A discussion between its founders 10 years ago with the notion to create a magazine that celebrated the wide world of whiskies. Now published in four languages, English, French, Japanese and Spanish, Whisky Magazine has established itself as the magazine to turn to for information, education and above all authority.

Many readers have asked us to bring the tastings together in the ultimate tastings book, so here it is. The book forms part of the 10th anniversary of Whisky Magazine. In that time the rise of the single malt, blended malt and blends phenomenon has been something no one could have predicted. Aficionados and beginners alike have proved hungry for knowledge and experiences to bring them closer to their favourite drinks, and Whisky Magazine has been at the forefront of this.

Similarly no one, other than those championing the cause, would have seen the meteoric rise of bourbon and indeed Japanese whisky, which are now taking the world by storm.

Entwined in this increased interest in everything whisky, the cocktail scene has seen some innovative uses of spirits as the distilling world has become smaller.

Out of Whisky Magazine evolved the tastings pages, which review all the latest releases and put them under the scrutiny of some of the best noses in the business. In10 years we have featured some of the best tasters in the business. Normally there are three tasters in each magazine.

Over the years the pages have featured some of the best whiskies available in the market place reviewed by some of the giants of whisky writing. Some of these whiskies are no longer available, the demand on stock has increased running some barrels dry, but what has lasted is the tasters' opinions.

It is this unbiased, independent stand point, not being afraid to pull the punches if needs be, that has made the tastings pages some of the most influential and widely read pages.

Whisky Magazine has constantly supported the independent bottling sector, allowing readers to explore different bottlings from their favourite distilleries.

To this end you will find nearly every tasting ever published in the last 10 years, uncut and organised in a manner where you can find what you want when you want it.

Where the same whisky has been reviewed more than twice over time by the same tasters we have removed the earliest tasting. Where they have been tasted by different tasters, we have left them all in. Occasionally there are notes where just one taster has tasted the whisky.

One of the most interesting parts of the book is looking at how distilleries, particularly in Scotland, and the various whisky categories have gone through several changes in the time Whisky Magazine has been bringing readers all the best bottlings from the industry.

Looking back you can see how some distilleries have risen to prominance, while others have been closed, and how some styles have experienced a resurgence, for instance rye and Irish whiskey.

The tastings book is laid out in easy to navigate sections with each geographical area containing whiskies according to its style, all sorted alphabetically.

Whiskies that appear with blue headings are proprietary bottlings whereas those in green represent offerings from the independent bottling companies. Every year we also hold a competition involving all the world whiskies. This has been done under several titles but is now the World Whiskies Awards and selects the best whisky in the world from all those on the market.

Some of the peated whiskies were tasted together to look at the effect of peat and how it develops over the years. As a result they were scored differently to the usual tastings, but were included for posterity. Our tasters are listed below, and we hope you enjoy their findings as much as they enjoyed writing them.

Buy it now
Matt2

Re: Whisky Magazine Tastings - First 10 Years

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi LSD here's a couple of pictures for you. One shows a Japanese distillery. To be honest there are not many pictures mostly text. So it is very informative.

The page of text is Bruichladdich. For me I love the book ,one of the magazines features that I enjoy is the tastings notes, so to have them all together is very much appreciated.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:09 pm

Yes it looks gerat but I do have reservations about the editorial.

Some inclusions are missing the abv and there are multiple inclusions for some whiskies which I feel should be dated. I feel it is slightly sloppy but other than that it is worth the money.

A nice touch is the medal winners listed by country at the back and a list of producers and their web addresses as well as list of Retailers listed by country.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby whiskyhibby » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:57 pm

No need for the book I have subscribed since day 1 :P :D :D
whiskyhibby

Postby Rannoch Moor » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:00 am

It is indeed worth the money. Only reservations I have, part of which mentioned above. No Year dates are shown, batches can differ from year to year (see Aberlour Abunadh). And what I see in most books is that there is a map for all whisky distilleries and most maps are inaccurate, also the map in this book shows wrong data. Apart from that it is a nice book to have.
Rannoch Moor

Postby corbuso » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 am

I haven't bought the book, but I have heard that the details about the bottles are rather limited and it is very difficult to identify which bottle was tasted (e.g., in the Douglas Laing OMC)?

True or not?
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby si_peacock » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:25 pm

Received my copy a looooooong time after ordering. Reasonably pleased with it but a few niggles... occasionally the scoring system is out of 5 rather than 10 which scews the results slightly when flicking through the book randomly.

Also, as mentioned before, the maps aren't the most accurate. However, it does what it says on the tin and reproduces the listings in the mag so happy to have it for reference and completeness...

Si
si_peacock

Postby Klas » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:00 am

I just ordered a copy. I look forward to it.
Klas
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder