Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Appreciating Whisky - Phillip Hills

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Appreciating Whisky - Phillip Hills

Postby Frank D.Scott » Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:25 pm

Hi All,
Phillip Hills new book "Appreciating Whisky" is without question a classic.This book will raise the standards for all whisky writers to aspire.While I do not agree with all his inciteful ideas,his theories have me thinking about whisky in a whole new light.This is the best Whisky book I have ever purchased.
Frank D.Scott

Postby Xavier » Thu Jan 11, 2001 4:05 pm

Hi Frank,

I can only confirm what you wrote. It was the first book I read that is written from a whole other perspective on whisky. It is less commercially inspired so to speak. Pip shares his large experience with the reader, almost like inside information.
And I like his irony very much.

I'm now reading another book, "Scotch Missed", from another insider, Brian Townsend. This book too contains a lot of
interesting information on the history of Scotch.

Xavier
Xavier

Postby lexkraai » Thu Jan 11, 2001 4:36 pm

Agree with all that's said about Pip's book. It's the most refreshing whisky book I've seen in a long time!

Xavier, if you like "Scotch Missed", make sure you also get Brian Townsend other book, "Lost Distilleries of Ireland"; same set-up, but then for Ireland. Rumour has it Brian is working on another whisky book ...

Slainte, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Just started reading this book (6 years after this topic started) and it is great - goes into a nice amount of detail about why whisky tastes as it does, the different alcohol molecules etc.. And some nice charts and suggestions for making tasting notes. Well worth a read for beginners and the more experienced.
Matt2

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:05 pm

I don't know if I should thank Mr Hills or not, it was this book that turned me from a whisky drinker into a whisky 'anorak'. After reading it I just wanted to try to taste as many different malts as possible and I'm still trying.

It's a wonderful read and I recommend to anybody with an interest in whisky.
Last edited by Paul A Jellis on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:19 am

Matt Page wrote:Just started reading this book (6 years after this topic started) and it is great - goes into a nice amount of detail about why whisky tastes as it does, the different alcohol molecules etc.. And some nice charts and suggestions for making tasting notes. Well worth a read for beginners and the more experienced.

Quite a coincindence! My copy arrived from ebay this morning and I've devoured the first chapter this evening! Shaping up to be an enjoyable and informative read.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Pip's book

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:46 am

Matt & TheLaddie:
Pleased to realise that you've just discovered this book, which I too found a delightful and informative read. The tastings I've sponsored the last two years have drawn on Phillips' book for information and it has made them even more educational than they were before. You can go as deeply into the chemical equations as you want, which appeals to the more scientific oriented members. The 10 groupings are simple to understand and yet detailed enough for the more knowledgable to glean from.

Wait'll you catch yourself reading it a second and a third time, then you'll know you're hooked.

Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Fri May 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Just received "Appreciating Whiskey" as a birthday gift. From the previous comments I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Jobi
Gold Member

Re: Appreciating Whisky - Phillip Hills

Postby borgom » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 am

Has any of the forum regulars got a copy of this they're willing to part with for a reasonable price?
It looks like an interesting read but the online prices are ludicrous!
borgom
Gold Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:42 pm

borgom wrote:It looks like an interesting read but the online prices are ludicrous!

Just had a look on Amazon. It's either the book or a good bottle of whisky. Mrs Barleycorn will not let me have both, not with her hols coming up soon.
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby drinix » Fri May 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Why is this book so expensive?
You can hardly find it online, and when you do the prices are ridiculously high. Anyone can explain?
drinix

Postby MacDeffe » Fri May 14, 2010 6:34 pm

I guess it's time for a reprint :-)

(I got the book and its as good as they say)

Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby Maccy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:45 pm

I've just borrowed this from the Library £1.40

£16.99 cover price

£50-70 on amazon

£130 new buy.

What is going on? :shock:

P.S It's not that big a book!!!!!
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Maccy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:51 am

Just started to read it and I just have to comment on the brilliant simplicity of the first paragraph.

Mr Hills' evaluation of "Appreciation" just draws you in and you immediately want to read more.

Bring it on.
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Maccy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Now finished - A wonderful read with many fantastic insights into "Appreciation" - I am sort of reading it again putting a few gems into my whisky journal.

BTW the library are on to me. They have discovered the current value of this book and have put the Librarian Police onto me - I must not lose it and get it back to them soon, or I may just disappear totally from the Forum! :o
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Maccy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 am

Oh so tempted Nick, so tempted. :twisted:
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby ClubSmed » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 pm

I have just seen this book on eBay for only £24.75 delivered
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230552679223&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
I already have it otherwise I would snap it up at this price!
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder