Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Handbook of Whisky - Dave Broom

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Handbook of Whisky - Dave Broom

Postby lexkraai » Fri Dec 01, 2000 9:19 am

Hi all

Got a copy of Dave Broom's new book. He goes around Scottish, Irish, US and Canadian distilleries (a selection per country) and covers a number of blends, but his aim is not so much to focus on the whisky (although he does give some tasting notes), but more on the people making it. Nice idea and there are more quotes from DM's in this book than in a lot of other whisky books put together. Also, quite a number of photos I haven't seen published anywhere else. In summary, a neat little book and a nice addition to my whisky library.

Slainte, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby georgebarkman » Sun Dec 03, 2000 12:35 am

Within the last couple of days it has come to my attention that the Moss, Hume book "The Making of Scotch Whisky" has just been revised a printed by Canongate (Canongate.net). This book was originally published in the early 80's and it has become very difficult to find, until now. You can order directly from Canongate over the internet and at a discount at that. Now all we need is a reprint of the Philip Morrice book "The Whisky Distillires of Scotland and Ireland.

George
georgebarkman

Postby georgebarkman » Sat Dec 09, 2000 6:18 pm

Lex, I have just received the Dave Broom book and it is a nice volume. There are plenty of pictures and like you say the difference in this book and the many others that have been published in the last 15 or 20 years is its emphises on the people that actually make the whisky and not just Single Malts but other whiskies as well. It is really a nice book and I recomemd it
georgebarkman

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 18, 2000 1:03 pm

George/all

If you're looking for out-of-print books, try Bookfinder at http://www.bookfinder.com/

I found The Whiskey Distillers of Scotland, 1887 for $60 there.

On-line retailers like Amazon.com use Bookfinder to search for used books, but they usually add 60-70% to the Bookfinder price Image

Regards,

Martin Behre
Deactivated Member

Postby jeanmarcdanquigny » Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:41 pm

I think it is an extract from the 1987 edition.
I bought the centenary edition in 1989, it was edited by Mainstream Publishing, has almost 450 pages and ISBN is 1-85158-087-5
and price was £20.
Does anybody know how many were printed ?
Anyway there is a complete reprint of Barnard's book in Germany (Foreword only is in German)
jeanmarcdanquigny

Postby georgebarkman » Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:00 am

Martin, I do not know how many copies that Mainstream printed but the book is very hard to find in any edition but the "abridged" copy. I have two copies of that edition and it is poorly done with some of the print being very faint and impossible to read. A few years ago I wrote to Mainstrem in the hope that they had a few copies laying around but no luck. It has come up once on various search areas like ABE and Bibliofind in the 6 years or so I have been on line. I have recently ordered the new edition of the Barnard book and I will report on it when it is received. It is a bit awkard to order as it is on the Amazon.de. If you percervier and go to "Hilfe" that will guide you through the maze.
george
georgebarkman

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2000 10:45 am

George,
I'm looking forward to your Barnard report. I actually speak some german so ordering from amazon.de shouldn't be any problem.

thanks,

Martin
Deactivated Member

Postby georgebarkman » Wed Jan 17, 2001 1:57 am

Martin, I received my copy of the Barnard book. A very breif review can be found be found elsewhere in the Forum

George
georgebarkman

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder