Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Notes on a Cellar Book

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Notes on a Cellar Book

Postby jmrl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:25 pm

This title should be familiar with most whisky readers as it's entry on whisky is oft quoted for it's advice on how to fill and keep your own cask. Finding a 2nd edition for £5 was too tempting. Written in 1920 the style of language raises smiles. Each short chapter devoted to different catogory of ageing booze has the gent recall high and lows of his years quaffing. So if you want advice on wether the 1881 Lafitte or 1881 Lagrange was where the smart money is then this is your book. Also a jolly wheeze when comparing notes on the failings of staff in their efforts to suitably upkeep one's glassware. Unfortunately no greast insight into the drams of the time.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Notes on a Cellar Book

Postby Ian Buxton » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:51 pm

Now considered a classic of wine writing and very influential in its day. £5 for 2nd edition was good buy.
Sadly, very little on whisky.

Saintsbury was (retired) Professor of English at Edinburgh University. He taught Aeneas MacDonald (pseud George Malcolm Thomson) author of "Whisky" and is quoted in that book from 1930.
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Re: Notes on a Cellar Book

Postby jmrl » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:26 pm

I think he was head at Elgin Academy, my old school, although I went there when it was quite a different proposition.
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder