Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Michael Jackson's malt whisky guide

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Postby Lawrence » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:36 pm

It would seem that most of the more prominent whisky writers receive free bottlings from nearly all the distilleries, please refer to MJ's column in issue 39.

MJ writes "Bottles are sent to me everyday with a view to my tasting them my for books or for this magazine. My cellar is impassable with cases of full bottles".

:D Poor fellow!

Even the Malt Maniacs receive malts for scoring/rating for free.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:12 am

Well, Lawrence, that would seem to rule out MJ writing more about a particular producer's products in return for a few bottles!

So perhaps his extended coverage of some brands - and the exclusion of some other brands - really is just a reflection of his personal taste.

And that seems reasonable.

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby bond » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:21 pm

Lawrence,

Can we be of some help in clearing his cellar of some unwanted stock?? Some Bowmores perhaps??

Cheers,

Bond
bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:29 am

I finally did manage to pick up MJ's 5th edition over the weekend. Apart from echoing Admiral's sentiments on Macallan, I am a little annoyed to find frequent analogies to wine in most of the informative sections in the book.

This extends to comparisons on process (e.g.Malting to Crushing), regions, similarities on trivia (Californian Wine to Japanese Malts) etc . Surely whisky has enough to hold its own and does not need wine to lean on??

The recent commercial popularity of wine notwithstanding, such an exercise was perfectly avoidable and has annoyed at least one whisky lover.

Slainte,

Bond
bond
Gold Member

Postby maltcollector » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:46 pm

Couldnt live without my MJ guides, thanks to MJ the 5th edition is fabulous and has helped me immensesly to choice my next new malt.
Fantastic!
maltcollector

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:33 pm

In the most recent issue of the Malt Advocate during an interview MJ alludes to the abundance of Macallan listings in the 5th edition but no word on the missing Bowmores.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Previous

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder