Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bunnahabhain

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Bunnahabhain

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:41 am

Here's something to look forward to if you are a fan of this gentle Islay malt..not tried it yet but will keep you posted.

The Bunnahabhain Distillery, which lies on the isolated north-eastern tip of the Hebridean Island of Islay has released a new Limited Edition - the Bunnahabhain Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky Manzanilla Sherry Wood Finish.

Via the Spanish sea estuary of the Guadalquivir River and the port of Sanlúcar de Barrameda, this selected spirit languished in traditional oak at the Bunnahabhain Distillery for twelve long years before being transferred into Manzanilla sherry casks for four more. This double maturation technique creates a fascinating variation to the famous Bunnahabhain gentle taste; the Manzanilla sherry casks from Spanish bodegas make for a beguiling complement to the crisp, fresh influence of the bracing Islay air.

This fine Limited edition, of 3,792 bottles is un-chillfiltered, natural in colour and of a higher strength (53.2% vol), with a wonderful taste of dark chocolate and dry sherry flavours, a developing roasted nutty maltiness with hints of liquorice and eucalyptus. The liquid is contained within a 70cl pack in oak glassware with a bespoke metalized gift tube.

Katherine Crisp, Brand Manager commented “This is a truly exciting new Limited Edition from Bunnahabhain, with a delightful taste profile. This is still Bunnahabhain, just a different and memorable expression”.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Re: Bunnahabhain

Postby Lucas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Tried it already. Oh it is memorable enough:D but in a nigtmarish kind of way...
Smells all right from the bottle, but in a glass its all Playdoh, sulphur, old bath tube and paint stripper.
Tastes more salty than any other whisky I have tried.
In my personal opinion a truly vile dram.
Lucas

Postby Aidan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:04 pm

That's a shame. I love Bunnahabhain. One of my favourites at the moment.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:46 am

Can anyone explain the 'oak glassware' thing?
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Aiden, if it's the 16yo at LFW it might not be such a disappointment:

..."Lively nose of (peachy) fruits. Then that lovely whiff you get when you spoon about in a brown of moist Demerara sugar, with time this become really engaging. Like 'Stairway to Heaven' it starts slowly (on the tongue) and raises to a crescendo, too complex to describe properly. Almonds is what I have towards the end, a fantastic experience!

Water does it no harm at all, that's the wee sample used up, we'll open a bottle and give tasters in the shop as we like to share a whisky that is an ace."

https://www.lfw.co.uk/acatalog/Bunnahabhain.html ...Is that the same one?
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder