Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Distillery only Glenfiddich

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Distillery only Glenfiddich

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:39 pm

For the first time, Glenfiddich released its 15 Year Old 'Distillery Edition' single malt in a handful of selected domestic markets around the world.
Glenfiddich's Malt Master, David Stewart, commented: "Glenfiddich Distillery Edition is a classic expression of Glenfiddich with a higher strength, 51% ABV, which adds complexity.
"Characteristically, we have married the matured single malts for Distillery Edition in Glenfiddich's unique oak marrying tuns to ensure a consistently, well-balanced and elegant signature malt. We have married Glenfiddich single malts in this way for almost 40 years and remain the only single malt distillery to do so."
Matured in American and European oak casks, including Oloroso sherry casks, which add to its truly exceptional and distinct character, Glenfiddich 'Distillery Edition' boasts a deep, golden barley colour. Its delicate floral aroma is punctuated with hints of freshly ground black pepper and vanilla. Creamily smooth on the palate, these floral and spicy black pepper notes gently mingle with luscious fruit and a hint of sherry wood, lazily lingering to a sweet and warm, velvety finish.
Previously available at selected airports around the world, this newly packaged 'Distillery Edition' is available in selected retailers and retails at £37.99 for a 70cl bottle.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Re: Distillery only Glenfiddich

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:42 pm

Yum! Does this amount to CS Solera then?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:01 pm

That's exactly what it is Tim. Yummy!
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:39 am

[quote="Reggaeblues"]Yum! Does this amount to CS Solera then?[/quote]
Well no I don't think it does.
Tastes to me to be more of a CS 12 or 18 as it has less vanilla than the solera which is probably due to the lack of "new wood".
To my taste has less sherry matured whisky than the 15 but maybe a little more than the 18.
I'm really enjoying it so far and will definately purchase it again.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:51 am

Hi there,

and I am wondering what they are talking about.

A new name obviously.

http://blog.glenfiddich.com/2006/05/29/ ... ry-edition

The 1 ltr. travel retail version has been on the market for a while already.

As their own blog says the name has changed not the whisky.

If that is so and I don`t doubt it I bought a bottle under the name of 15yo cask strength in Ambleside, Lake District at Victoria Wine in 1997.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 am

Hmmm...

I'm doubtful now. I seem to remember trying something like this at duty free. Obviously I wasn't bowled over as I didn't buy it. Whereas I must get through a Solera per year! Always lovely.

JM rates a "15 YO" at 51% all the way back to 2006 and gives it 80, creeping up to 85.5 in 2009.

Sounds like a different animal. The solera 15 gets 93/94.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 am

Hi there,

indeed there is a 15 yo Distillery Edition 51%.

That is not a Solera.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Danmag » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:34 pm

I've tried this one as well, I like it. And I have it on good authority, from a senior member of staff, that it is Solera. Any one who knows me that I used to complain bitterly that at 40% Solera was a waste of time, it didn't have the richness or complexity of the vat strength. This one does, so it's worth buying.
Danmag

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 pm

If it is the distillery edition that they sell at the distillery then it is Solera.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 am

Solera wasn't 51%.

I own a 15 CS 1 liter from New Zealand duty free. A friend has a 15 CS from the 90s when it used to be on the shelves over here. While similar they have some striking differences. While similar to the former Solera (no longer labeled Solera) the extra proof adds a dimension. Here's to cask strength Glenfiddich making it into my local.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Danmag » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:04 am

In the U.K. Solera is sold at 40%, I don't know what it's export strength is. The triple wood they are selling at the distillery is vat strength Solera. It would seem, and I have heard this from other sources, that this triple wood is being made available in a limited number of other outlets. I hope there is one of them near me in mid Cheshire
Danmag

Postby borgom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:18 am

It seems to me that a few different whiskies are being mixed up here.
Distillery Edition is not Solera nore is it a CS Solera.
I read this as a simple announcement that they've decided to sell the duty free bottling in some retail outlets.
They may or may not use a solera type vatting system but this doesn't mean it's a CS version of the standard 15 which contains the mixture of sherry, ex-bourbon and new wood.
borgom
Gold Member

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder