Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team
Related whiskies : Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX

Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm

The Glenmorangie Company pays tribute to its art of whisky creation with the launch of the Glenmorangie 'Private Collection' - a series of innovative whiskies for the true connoisseur. The launch revives the Company's popular tradition of limited edition releases. From now on, a 'whisky gem' will be released every year as part of the Glenmorangie Private Collection; Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX is the first expression in this series and is available now for a limited period of time.

Creating delicious, innovative and special whiskies is an integral part of Glenmorangie's history. Head of Distilling and Whisky Creation Dr Bill Lumsden travels the world sourcing inspiration for Glenmorangie expressions, as well as different kinds of wood in which to mature the delicious Glenmorangie spirit, experimenting and creating new enticing whiskies.

Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX is a great reflection of The Glenmorangie Company's passion for innovation and exploration. Its name perfectly describes the beautifully absorbing, full-bodied and generous taste of this special single malt and is taken from the Gaelic translation of "generous" (Sonnalta) and PX (Pedro Ximenez) for the "PX" ex-sherry casks from Jerez in Southern Spain into which the whisky is transferred for extra maturation.

Dr Bill Lumsden comments: "Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX is an extraordinarily rich, dark and absorbing malt whisky. I regularly travel to Spain to select the very best PX casks to use alongside our outstanding bourbon barrels from the US. This is our first release in the Glenmorangie Private Collection, with more rare, delicious releases to come in the future."
Rob Allanson
Editor

Re: Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX

Postby vision*R » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:24 pm

This was already released one year ago if I remember correctly. Or is it now available outside of travel retail as well?

I've bought a bottle several months ago. Great stuff.
vision*R

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 am

Now available outside travel retail.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Jim Beam » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Hello guys.
I'm actually new to this forum, but Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX happens to be my latest purchase and it is something else. Very sweet and fruity, but with the floral bourbonlike quality which I also taste in the 10yo: lovely.
Not classic sherry either (I mean, obviously it isn't as it's Pedro Ximenez, but it's not that "winey" either).

Jim
Jim Beam

Postby AshDLS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:12 am

[quote="Rob Allanson"]Now available outside travel retail.[/quote]
Thank goodness for that. I planned to pick up a bottle last weekend whilst in transit at Singapore Airport. I sat in the airport lounge for a while, waiting for my 9:00pm flight to Melbourne, and at about 7:30pm I decided to head off to the duty free store to take a look around and pick up the Sonnalta... and I wasn't able to buy one! >:( Turned out I would've had to purchase the bottle before 7:00pm as they have to deliver the bottle past the security checkpoint (instead of putting it in one of those clear sealed plastic bags)... I wasn't entirely clear on the explanation of the guy at the duty free store, but it seems it has something to do with flights to Australia? Argh, so frustrating. :-\ I wasn't aware of this policy at all. He also said they'd lost a lot of business due to this nonsense.

Wasn't much in the way of choice at Melbourne Airport, just picked up a Caol Ila 12.

My brother's coming back home through Kuala Lumpur in a week or two, might ask him to look around there to see if they have it.
AshDLS

Related whiskies : Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder