Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ugly Betty

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Ugly Betty

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:56 pm

"An oversized, upside-down dustbin made of copper" Tom Morton described it in his excellent Spirit of Adventure.
Bruichladdich is pleased to announce the installation of an unusual fifth still during recent still house renovations.
A Lomand still, a defunct experimental cross between a Coffey and a pot still, was designed with a thick column-like neck with removable sections inserted.
The aim was to create more character and variety of styles of spirit by imitating the effect that different lengths of still ʻneckʼ would have.
The versatile still had plates, like Roman blinds, which could be ʻopenedʼ and varying the angle of the lyne arm for lighter or heavier spirit.
The first Lomand, a spirit still, was installed in 1956 at Inverleven, part of the ginormous Dumbarton grain distillery complex, on the banks of the Clyde.
Inverleven was closed in 1991 and razed in 2004. But not before the chaps at Bruichladdich nipped in and removed, among other things, the Lomand.
So, fittingly, the first shall be last: the original, the only authentic Lomand in existence, lives to fight another day.
True to its founding principal, it is being fitted with Jimʼs newly designed neck section, the "Silver Gattling".
It may be the only one of its type left, but sheʼs no oil painting.
Attachments
mark0028.jpg
Rob Allanson
Editor

Re: Ugly Betty

Postby jmrl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:39 am

Wonderful news that the still is back in use. I always thought it was 'LomOnd' and that a wash still of this style was in use at Scapa. Any news of the resurrectionb of Port Charlotte /Loch Indaal distillery?
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:10 pm

You are correct Mark the original Lomond still from Dumbarton is now in use at Scapa as a wash still, so this is not the only one. There's also the Lomond type stills at Loch Lomond which are actually used as full Lomond stills rather than as basic pots like the Scapa and (perhaps) the Bruichladdich stills.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Danmag » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:03 am

i've not been on line for a few days but when I read this one the thoughts that crossed my mind were the points that you gents made. But when you recall the discussion a few months ago about Loch Lomond Single Malt, how will the S.W.A. react to this one?
Dan
Danmag

Postby corbuso » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:30 pm

[quote="jmrl"]Wonderful news that the still is back in use. I always thought it was 'LomOnd' and that a wash still of this style was in use at Scapa. Any news of the resurrectionb of Port Charlotte /Loch Indaal distillery?[/quote]
It is indeed a LomOnd and not a LomAnd :-)
For the news regading Port Charlotte, have a look here:
http://www.whisky-news.com/En/Report.html review of 2009.
They don't have anymore the money so the Lomond still planned for PC has been now moved to Bruichladdich in the meantime
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder