Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

English Whisky

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

English Whisky

Postby Rob Allanson » Fri May 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Just been on the phone with the chaps down the road at St George's. They are currently bottling the next release. Chapter 9 (lightly peated) available from 7th June.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Re: English Whisky

Postby DavidUK » Fri May 21, 2010 7:03 pm

What happened to Chapters seven and eight?
DavidUK

Postby ClubSmed » Fri May 21, 2010 11:32 pm

[quote="DavidUK"]What happened to Chapters seven and eight?[/quote]
What happened to chapter 5?
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby sinclair » Tue May 25, 2010 3:04 pm

I thought chapter 5 was the same as chapter 6 but in a decanter type bottle.As for chapters 7 and 8 ???????
sinclair
Bronze Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Tue May 25, 2010 3:56 pm

I just checked on the website (it was a bad mobile phone line to Andrew) and it is definitely chapter 9.
So there's your first question when visiting the distillery....
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby DavidUK » Tue May 25, 2010 8:25 pm

This rings a bell now!!

I think they set aside special bottlings for investors and these bottlings are given a Chapter Number. In other words, not all Chapters are available to the general public
DavidUK

Postby St George's » Thu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm

I though I might try and clarify the Chapters for you all. All chapters without exception are made available to the public. Some will be readily available in reasonable volume whilst others will be fairly short runs. Chapter 5 & 8 were very small runs as they were both the first ever whiskies (unpeated and peated) made by the distillery and were sold in cases of 6 decateurs. Chapter 6 is our single malt unpeated whisky and is available from the disitllery or hopefully your favourite whisky seller. Chapter 7 will be a rum cask whisky which we hoped would be ready this spring but feel another summer of maturation wil be beneficial and so have held it back until this autumn (2010) Chapter 9 will be launched on 7th June 2010 and is our first lightly peated whisky available, we think this is a great whisky and hopefully one that you will have the opportunity to taste. For those of you who have missed out on the Ch5&8, it does pop up on Ebay fairly often - although the prices aren't for the faint hearted!

If any of you ever have any questions regarding the whisky feel free to email our distiller - David on distiller@englishwhisky.co.uk
St George's
'Silent Still' Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Well can report back from the launch today.
Tasting notes for Chapter 9, which is 46% and peated to 32ppm.
Nose: Light bonfire, gentle peat but only just. Very perfumed. Hints of bandages and slightly sooty. With water the peat unlocks a little and the nose becomes more burning tobacco leaf, humidor and a little seaweedy.
Palate: Loads of sweetness up front, caramel and burnt toffee then the peat opens at the back.
Finish: Liquorice.

Also got the chance to taste some works in progress including: a fully matured port cask sample (very soft, mince pies, drying with a little peat); a 14 month old 3rd fill Portuguese red wine cask (toffee, caramel and powerful peat); A one year old Portuguese red wine cask (unpeated, sweet toffee with cream, spices and cracked black pepper) and finally a First fill Portuguese wine cask for nine months then Bourbon for two years (more liquorice and like a good bourbon, caramalised bananas, open humidors.

Plenty of good stuff to watch out for.
Attachments
English_whisky3.jpg
English_whisky3.jpg (41.69 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
English_whisky2.jpg
English_Whisky.jpg
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Gooner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:14 pm

hi, dominic roskrow was also there yesterday and we tasted it today. Our blog entry is here, hope its ok to post links? If not, let me know and I'll just cut and paste it in.

http://thewhiskytastingclub.co.uk/Blogs/
Gooner

Postby Gooner » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:27 am

hi,

Dominic Roskrow has interviewed the English Whisky co. master distiller David Fitt and blogged about it here

http://thewhiskytastingclub.co.uk/Blogs/domblog/2010/12/11/england-expects/

he has written notes for the chapters 7 (rum finish) and 10 (sherry) too. Personally I'm sticking with the chapter 9!

Tony
Gooner

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder