Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New web site updates

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

New web site updates

Postby Matt2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:41 pm

We have been working hard to make some changes to the Whisky Magazine web site and much of this is now online.

We hope you like the improvements and will continue to finish up the changes over the next couple of days.

Certain forum and subscription features may not be working (Tokens, Articles and My Whisky) but we will have these fixed tomorrow along with any missing content and tastings.

Thanks, and we look forward to your comments.

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Re: New web site updates

Postby Matt2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Ps.. I will be changing the forum templates soon so don't get too comfortable with it :?
Matt2

Postby anationonfire » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:36 am

Awesome, Not that I really had any thing to complain about before but it does look a little more tidy so far.
Really enjoying the new lay out for the Tasting Section.

Thanks for your hard work guys!
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:40 am

First impression: very nice lay-out !
Great job, thanks !
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:04 pm

C57 - I think the news forum doesn't allow bbcode in replies, and it shouldn't let you put it in.. will look into it. Active topics still not working..

Lots of other tweaks to get done today, like making sure the online subscription activation works so you can read all the articles online.

We also have the systems in place now to keep it all upto date, no more missing issues or tastings etc..

Glad you are liking the new look, should be much easier to navigate and find what you want.

I will let you all know as the forum bits get finished.
Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:51 pm

There will be more announcements about this later but for now...

Subscribers to Whisky Magazine can now access ALL articles from ALL back issues online.

Simply enter your Surname and Subscriber Number in the box provide in your Profile / Control Panel. It should look something like SURNAME1234567.

We are currently uploading the subscriber data and this may take a few days before all subs are active.

To help us test this feature you can email me (matt@whiskymag.com) with your Surname and Subscriber Number and I can activate it for you now.

:smoke:
Matt2

Postby matteo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:33 pm

"Remember me" function doesnt work properly
matteo

Postby matteo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 pm

"My Whisky" list error page:

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Unknown column 'Whisky.whisky_locid' in 'where clause' [1054]
matteo

Postby johan brugge » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:17 pm

I really like the new lay-out! Well done!
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:04 pm

[quote="Matt Page"]There will be more announcements about this later but for now...

Subscribers to Whisky Magazine can now access ALL articles from ALL back issues online.

Simply enter your Surname and Subscriber Number in the box provide in your Profile / Control Panel. It should look something like SURNAME1234567.

We are currently uploading the subscriber data and this may take a few days before all subs are active.

To help us test this feature you can email me (matt@whiskymag.com) with your Surname and Subscriber Number and I can activate it for you now.

:smoke:[/quote]

Matt it must be me being a bit thick I'm having trouble finding the box to put in my subscriber number.
les taylor

Postby Matt2 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Les,

It's on your profile page in the control panel
ucp.php?i=164

Well I hope it's there, it was last night ....

Cheers

Matt
Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:09 am

Active Topics is now working and so is New Post.
Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:13 am

And I've added some of the active subscriptions to the system so you should be able to get all the articles now...

If it still says your code is inactive then email us and we will add it in.
Matt2

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:09 pm

[quote="Collector57"]It was there when I looked Matt. It's Les being thick :P[/quote]

Okay done that. Entered my number. I'm still thick nothing happened.
les taylor

Postby Matt2 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:11 pm

Visit the Magazine section and you should see that you can read all the articles. :thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby ClubSmed » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:10 pm

What time zone it the forum supposed to be on?
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby kyorke1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:48 pm

New design looks good Matt, Cheers.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby DavidUK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Listings of members who have a particular expression seem to have disappeared.
DavidUK

Postby lockejn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:40 am

Collector57 wrote:The only thing I don't like so far is the courier font in the test box when I'm writing a post. Fixed fonts just don't really work for me. But that's a very small thing in the scheme of things.

+1
In general, a really nice overhaul, though. :thumbsup:
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:36 am

Matt,

topics in the bar don't seem to show up in active topics, is that due to it going away soon? Thanks
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Secesh » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Am I missing:

1. Finding a whisky anywhere besides the home tab? Don't see it anywhere.
2. It was nice having recent forum threads along with the whisky listings & reviews. Maybe I'm one of the few who use this area to search out expressions I find and haven't tried before.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:44 am

Hi,

The Bar will not show in active topics, and I still don't know whats happening to it...

1. Finding a whisky anywhere besides the home tab? Don't see it anywhere.

You can try the Tastings tab (I think it should be called Whisky but others liked the word Tastings)

2. It was nice having recent forum threads along with the whisky listings & reviews. Maybe I'm one of the few who use this area to search out expressions I find and haven't tried before.

These will all be added back in, and will be appearing in new places as well. The tasting page has it back, just working on Brands etc..

DavidUK - It's coming back with the other bits

C57 - Courier font will go soon

ClubSmed - It's in the Whisky Magazine timezone, can't fix everything, it just wouldn't be whiskymag.com then :dead:
Matt2

Postby Secesh » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks Matt
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't know , i go away for a fortnight and everything changes !
As nice as the new format is , any chance of centring the thing as it looks even odder now being to one side and a great white space to the right ?
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:47 pm

The new forum design looks really good. I have one small suggestion though; the forum should be IPhone native. Many of us use smart phones and accessing the forum is s lot easier throug an app such as "Tapatalk" rather than the usual browser. I know this might be stretching it but still...
Mr Fjeld

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:59 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:The new forum design looks really good. I have one small suggestion though; the forum should be IPhone native. Many of us use smart phones and accessing the forum is s lot easier throug an app such as "Tapatalk" rather than the usual browser. I know this might be stretching it but still...

I
I somewhat 2nd mr field that it should be mobile phone native. About half the time i sign on and post it os from my droid x.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:32 pm

The Bar is gone with all its threads? Surely this is just a mistake?
Mr Fjeld

Postby mikeymad » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 pm

If you don't give anyone a place to post a random topic then I guess that you are free to post it anywhere.

Just with the knowledge that if it is not whisky related they will probably remove it in the future...

I don't mind the purging of old (dead for a long time) non-whisky related threads... but to kill active threads because they are not whisky related is not very nice.

Oh well..
mikeymad

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:30 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:The Bar is gone with all its threads? Surely this is just a mistake?

I don't see them either but I was under the impression that they were getting a slight name change and moved to a different area? Matt are they coming back?
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:01 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:The Bar is gone with all its threads? Surely this is just a mistake?

I hope not becuase it'll mean that I will have to write ANOTHER 200 posts to get to triple gold member for the 4TH TIME in the last few months!!!!!!!
dramtastic

Postby lockejn » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:47 am

Perhaps if it were more precisely communicated what the magazine hopes to gain from these forums we could more effectively accommodate.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Yes, as announced over a month ago The Bar has gone. Kept some of the topics but really can't see where they fit into the site. Will see what happens over the next week or so.

Other changes are - Website reviews has gone, because no one really reviewed any web sites. Wanted and Valuations have moved back into Collectors Corner. Cask Buying Club has been removed (if anyone needs the info in that forum let me know ASAP before it's all binned later this week)

Coming changes - Distillery Images, not sure whats happening but it will change or go. Live Tastings will be revamped or merged back into Whisky Tastings. Whisky Polls will either merge with Q&A or be revamped with only polls. Post ranks and counts will probably go, and theres a bucket load of old posts and stuff to delete from various forums.

Mikey - If your posts aren't whisky related then they probably shouldn't be here, and will get deleted very quickly.

Lockejn - They want a whisky forum where people can come and talk about whisky.

There are so many other places, forums and sites where people can chat in general about anything and everything. This forum is just for whisky now, there aren't enough hours in the day to run a general chat forum and the headaches it causes.

There won't be an iPhone specific site, however there are discussions about a generic mobile site which will work better on small screens and many phones. It may be a Subscriber only service depending on what's offered.

And someone mentioned RSS feeds for the forum , these won't be activated anytime soon, want people to actually visit the site not just get the content stripped out. Again would probably be a Subscriber only feature if it is done.

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby bcrossan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:29 pm

I love the new format and layout

Is there any way in the Private Messages notifications to actually get the message in the email alert and not just tell you there is a PM? Other forum board systems are able to do this and I was wondering if it could be enabled here as well. It helps greatly when trying to get the message from a phone.
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Matt Page wrote:There are so many other places, forums and sites where people can chat in general about anything and everything. This forum is just for whisky now, there aren't enough hours in the day to run a general chat forum and the headaches it causes.

I hear what you're saying and it's your forum - and I have no problem understanding that running and moderating a forum is a tedious task. I've always enjoyed being here; talking about whisky, films, food and other things not pertinent to whisky. And that is precisely what defines whisky drinkers as we are multi-faceted social beings.
I'm sure it's still going to be a nice place for many whisky drinkers - but I don't think it's interesting enough for me unless there is room for a non-whisky conversation.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Matt2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Glad some of you are enjoying the updates and changes. There are a few more to come over the next couple of weeks (well, mainly fixing My Whisky, Live Tastings and a few other bits).

Now, some of you will be a little too happy about my next bit of news, but I do like putting a smile on your faces ....

I have now finished Rob's forum training and he is now a fully fledged Administrator. This means I can finally be released from the asylum and back into the general population. I will be giving up my Admin status tomorrow and will have very little to do with the forum from now on.

However, before you all get too excited and kick off, Rob has also been trained on the use of the BAN button and is eager to give it a go. All rules still apply and existing hidden Admins still remain to boot people off without warning or explanation. Some of the existing bans will also remain permanent as we appear to still have problems from a certain corner of the web, but most have now been lifted.

So, I wish you all the best and hope you can enjoy the forums just as much without your favourite Admin around to keep things interesting.

:mrgreen:

Good luck Rob and a fond farewell to the forum members. I'm now off to find out what to do about all the grey hairs I have acquired over the last few years.

:dead:
Matt2

Next

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder