Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Shackleton's whisky

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Shackleton's whisky

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:19 pm

One of the world's most famous whiskies has been returned home to Scotland after spending more than 100 years untouched by human hand and encased in Antarctic ice.
Three bottles of the Mackinlays whisky which accompanied Ernest Shackleton on his 1907 expedition have been returned to brand owner Whyte & Mackay for scientific analysis.
The liquid is so rare and valuable that the Antarctic Heritage Trust and New Zealand authorities refused to let it travel unaccompanied and in the hold of any plane.
So Whyte & Mackay company owner Dr Vijay Mallya, the renowned Indian business mogul, stepped in to personally collect and fly the bottles back to Scotland using his private jet.
Whyte & Mackay's master blender Richard Paterson will spend up to six weeks in full laboratory conditions analysing, nosing, tasting and "deconstructing" the whisky before reporting back to the Antarctic Heritage Trust.
Once the analysis is complete, the bottles will be transported back to New Zealand by private plane for their eventual return back to Shackleton's hut on the Antarctic, unlikely to ever leave the ice again.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Re: Shackleton's whisky

Postby Hopkirk of the Still » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:31 am

I'm really sorry, but I can't seem to find the button to post a new topic on the forum. Odd. Anyway, You can try the Shackleton's bottling at the Pot Still now, and since Monday the 28th November, there's a good chance if you'd asked for one it'd be me serving it, as the Murphy's have taken on the Pot Still and we're delighted about it! I hope to see you all there eventually. I realise some guys have further to fly. :-)

Cheers
Frank Murphy
Proprietor
The Pot Still
Hope Street
Glasgow

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pot-S ... 1077954730
Hopkirk of the Still
'Silent Still' Member

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder