Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Distillery village for sale

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Distillery village for sale

Postby Matt2 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:38 pm

An entire village of houses next to Tormore Distillery near Grantonon-Spey, Moray, are being sold at offers over £550,000. Originally built to house distillery workers, the new owners will have to learn to live with the distillery clock tower, which plays four different Scottish songs every 15 minutes!
Matt2

Village for sale

Postby Rich » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:38 pm

Where do we bid for it!
Rich

Postby susywong » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:01 pm

I remember the clock from my childhood, my mum used to make sure we passed by on the hour for the different tunes! It used to drive her crazy!! :D
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:57 pm

I dont think you will find it on Ebay :wink:

They are owned by Allied Distillers http://www.allieddomecqplc.com , but I couldn't find a contact for the sale. Try the main number..
Matt2

Postby Iain » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:34 pm

Matt, this is new indeed, but is it more "corporate communications" than news?

Recently we've had a strike at Edrington and a legal move by the SWA to stop Glenora using "Glen" in its name. But nary a mention here.

Would it be possible to include news such as this in the "latest news" section? Rather than the stuff that's come from (and been "neutered" by) company pr/corporate comms departments?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:00 am

More on SWA's clumsy attempt to bully Glenora into submission.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotlan ... 1033682004

I wonder if people think Glen Ellen wines are made from grapes grown in Scottish vineyards? How about Glen Isla?

The British wine industry should seek legal advice immediately!

But seriously - this sort of bully-boy behaviour surely doesn't do the reputation of Scotch whisky industry any favours?

Sorry to post this under an inappropriate heading, but it's not possible for non-WM folks to start a new "Latest News" thread.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:15 am

Iain wrote:Matt, this is new indeed, but is it more "corporate communications" than news?

Recently we've had a strike at Edrington and a legal move by the SWA to stop Glenora using "Glen" in its name. But nary a mention here.

Would it be possible to include news such as this in the "latest news" section? Rather than the stuff that's come from (and been "neutered" by) company pr/corporate comms departments?

Sorry Iain, I disagree with you there. Most of the folks who frequent this board are malt whisky fans, not shop stewards. Matt and the WM crew are spot on publishing this type of thread, rather than whether there was a strike at Edrington. Anyone who has been to Speyside on a whisky pilgrimage will likely have passed Tormore, so will be able to relate to this piece of "news" much more than some union/Edrington issue. Keep it up, Matt and the others.

Sorry again. :oops:
Ash

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:00 pm

Well, that's a fair point. Especially re the union issues - I agree they don't interest many folks other than the parties involved, and I only mentioned it cos it was in the news as I wrote. So apologies for not expressing myself clearly.

But room for both, I think?

I think that the Glenora story must surely interest a lot of whisky drinkers, not only in Canada. If only because expensive legal actions can drive small distillers out of business.

Which would be an unwelcome development for folks who enjoy what Glenora has to offer, or who just sympathise with their uncomfortable position.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:01 pm

And to get this thread back on-topic (as the one to blame for taking it miles off):

Tormore is probably the most attractive but is not the only Speyside-area distillery village to become surplus to the owners' requirements.

A few years back there were plans to sell the distillery houses at Minmore, situated between the castle and TheGlenlivet Distillery. The buildings are not so picturesque as those at Tormore (!) but it's a lovely setting nonetheless.

Anyway, i don't know what became of the sale plans once Pernod took over the company, but I notice that at least one house is currently available to let for visitors:

http://www.roomfinderscotland.co.uk/map ... townid=432

(scroll down to Torvue)

for those who would like to stay next to the distillery but can't afford to room at Minmore House!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:58 am

At the moment these news items are just taken from the latest copy of the magazine. I am trying to get more postings between issues and covering topics that have been missed. There is plenty of room for both.
Matt2

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder