Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Compass box unleashes a monster of a whisky

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Compass box unleashes a monster of a whisky

Postby Sally Toms » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:26 am

Scotch whisky pioneers Compass Box has launched its latest whisky creation: The Peat Monster. It has been described as a ‘frightfully smoky-tasting malt whisky that really delivers on the promise of its name’.

“You’ve got to give the people what they want,” says John Glaser, the American founder and whisky blender at Compass Box. “And many of the most ardent fans of Scotch malt whisky are in love with peaty and smoky-style malt whiskies. So The Peat Monster gives them what they’re looking for, in spades!”

Compass Box has also released a unique, limited edition whisky
called The Double Single exclusively for the Craigellachie Hotel in
Speyside. For this whisky, Glaser combined a single cask of 12 year old, American oak-aged Clynelish malt with a single cask of 15 year old grain whisky from the now silent Cambus distillery. This is where
the name The Double Single derives from.

John Glaser explains the connection between Compass Box and the Craigellachie: “In my former job I stayed at the Craigellachie Hotel often, and I spent many nights in the famous Quiach Bar, admiring their vast collection of great Scotch whisky. It was there in the Quaich Bar that many of my first ideas for starting Compass Box originated. It’s an inspirational place!”

The whisky costs £39.75 ($70) and is only available from the hotel.
For more information on either of these new releases, go to http://www.compassboxwhisky.com or tel: +44 (0)20 7486 3400
Sally Toms
News & Picture Editor

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder