Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Distillery Fan Shows Love For Whisky With Tattoo Tribute

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Distillery Fan Shows Love For Whisky With Tattoo Tribute

Postby AmandaWhaymand » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:10 am

Norbert Tattoo 7.JPG

Scotland has always been known for its vast range of whiskies and people travel from across the globe just to sample a tipple with so much history. But for one visitor, tasting the liquid gold was not a big enough a statement of his love and fascination for the beverage. Norbert Leege is a huge fan of the Glenglassaugh Distillery near Portsoy in Aberdeenshire and has shown his allegiance by having a tattoo of the company logo etched onto his arm.

Norbert works as a commercial director in Germany but also runs a small whisky store called Whisky and Stone in the village of Betzigau in Bavaria. While attending a Whisky Fair in Munich, Norbert and his wife Ines met with Stuart Nickerson, the managing director of Glenglassaugh Distillery who then invited the couple to Scotland for a tour of the picturesque distillery - the most coastal in mainland Scotland.

The distillery, which lies on the boundary of the Speyside region, was closed in 1986 and mothballed. It lay silent until 2008 when it was bought by a group of private investors, and then recommenced production. Norbert says, "For me it was love at first sight when I visited Glenglassaugh Distillery. I loved the historic, traditional buildings and the location is absolutely beautiful. I was very impressed with the revival of the distillery and it was very exciting for me to see the development of their new whisky, Revival. The history of the whiskies which Glenglassaugh produces really interests me.

"In the past I had never considered getting a tattoo and at the age of 56 I never imagined I would decide to have one done. But for me, the Glenglassaugh company logo is the perfect symbol for whisky. You can see the barley, the water and the two birds together and after a lot of consideration I decided to take the leap and I couldn't be happier with the result.

"Unfortunately my wife and I don't get the opportunity to visit Scotland as much we would like although when we do have the time we always have a wonderful time and any holiday we plan we try and make sure Scotland is on the destination list. The staff at Glenglassaugh always give such a warm welcome and their whisky is so delicious. It's very difficult to choose my favourite, althoughI would say though that The Chosen Few 1976 was delicious and their most recent whisky, Revival is a definite treat!"

Ronnie Routledge, Glenglassaugh Distillery customer accounts manager, says, "Norbert and Ines have both been to the distillery many times and have fallen in love with the company. On their most recent visit they tried our Revival single malt for the first time and were blown away by it.

"Norbert told me that Glenglassaugh was his favourite whisky of all time and thought our logo was the best he had ever seen, then proceeded to roll up his shirt sleeve to reveal our company logo tattooed in fine detail on his upper arm. I think this may well qualify him as our most dedicated fan but we would be more than happy to have someone challenge it or better it!"

Glenglassaugh Distillery is located near Sandend Bay near Portsoy. Glenglassaugh products can now be found in over 20 countries around the world, including Africa, Australasia, Asia, Europe and North America. Revival is the first single malt Scotch whisky to be produced by Glenglassaugh since its reopening and was launched in April of this year. Glenglassaugh Distillery is now fully operational following its refurbishment.

More information about the distillery's award-winning range of aged whiskies and younger spirit drinks is available at http://www.glenglassaugh.com
AmandaWhaymand
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder