Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Best Job in the World

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

The Best Job in the World

Postby AmandaWhaymand » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 pm

Iain McArthur, celebrated warehouseman at Lagavulin Distillery on Islay, is opening his doors for the first time to one winner to experience the best job in the whisky world and help create some of the world’s best single malt Scotch whisky.

To be in with a chance of winning an apprenticeship with Iain, applicants must apply via Friends of the Classic Malts (https://secure.malts.com/index.php/en_g ... apprentice), explaining why they would love to work with Iain for two days in June. The applications with the most votes will be in with a chance of winning, and 50 runners up will receive a signed bottle of Lagavulin™ 16 Year Old from Iain.

Under Iain’s expert guidance, the winning applicant will spend two days in June discovering the story of Lagavulin™ first hand along with the secrets and traditions behind making the definitive Islay malt.

Iain has been in the whisky industry for over 42 years and has become a celebrated figure to thousands of devotees of Lagavulin™, especially those who make the pilgrimage to Islay and participate in his warehouse tours.

Iain McArthur comments:
“I’ve spent 42 years working at the Lagavulin™ distilleries and now it’s time for someone to join me. Thanks to Friends of the Classic Malts, one lucky whisky-lover will join me and learn the secrets of Lagavulin™ as my very first apprentice. Duties will include peat-cutting, malt-advocating, cask-testing, whisky-tasting and tea-making - I like my tea with just a drop of milk, only joking! There’s plenty of work to be done but it’s worth it when you taste the whisky.”

Iain will handpick a winner from the 10 entries with the most votes. To enter, applications must be received by 31st March 2013.
AmandaWhaymand
Bronze Member

Re: The Best Job in the World

Postby Alans » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 pm

All person have to meet their dream job i mean to say best job.we must taking efforts to getting that job.
Alans
'Silent Still' Member

Postby peterad » Wed May 15, 2013 2:53 pm

AmandaWhaymand wrote:Iain McArthur, celebrated warehouseman at Lagavulin Distillery on Islay, is opening his doors for the first time to one winner to experience the best job in the whisky world and help create some of the world’s best single malt Scotch whisky.

To be in with a chance of winning an apprenticeship with Iain, applicants must apply via Friends of the Classic Malts (https://secure.malts.com/index.php/en_g ... apprentice), explaining why they would love to work with Iain for two days in June. The applications with the most votes will be in with a chance of winning, and 50 runners up will receive a signed bottle of Lagavulin™ 16 Year Old from Iain..

I certainly wouldn't mind giving this a go!
peterad
'Silent Still' Member

Postby rclark » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Shame it's not a full-time position! I'd consider a career change if it meant a career at Lagavulin. :D
rclark

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder