Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky walk – update

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Whisky walk – update

Postby Sally Toms » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:45 am

A team from Whisky Magazine is set to raise hundreds of pounds from its 40 mile sponsored walk in aid of the Make Poverty History campaign.

A team consisting of contributing Editor Dave Broom, former Editor Marcin Miller, current Editor Dominic Roskrow and the Scotch Malt Whisky Society’s Annabel Meikle targeted distilleries in Speyside to support the walk. Several other walkers have also joined in.

In addition to the walk the group have persuaded distillers in the region to contribute a small amount of whisky aged more than 20 years old for a one off Speyside Live Aid commemorative bottling to be auctioned over the summer. An equivalent bottle using Islay whisky is also planned.

The walk, designed to raise awareness of the Make Poverty History campaign, which urges politicians to call for the cancellation of third world debt, attracted the support of distilleries, celebrities and politicians.
Sally Toms
News & Picture Editor

Postby Oliver » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:55 pm

I think that's a grand idea. I am all for the cancelling of the third world's debt, and hope the event is a resounding success. Cheers to the folks at whiskymag for participating in such a positive and progressive event!

Oliver
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:56 pm

Oh, and could you let us know which distilleries decided to participate? I'd be very interested to find out. Thanks!

Oliver
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Sally Toms » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi Oliver

Thanks for the kind words :)

We've had a lot of interest from the Speyside distilleries, but no specific details have been finalised yet - I'll keep you posted.

Sally
Sally Toms
News & Picture Editor

Whisky walk - great idea

Postby si_peacock » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:49 pm

Hi Sally

Yes - as soon as you have details please let us know. I'm planning a trip to Speyside soon and it'd be great to see the guys on their trip - maybe sort out a collection at each of the distilleries on the route...

Look forward to hearing more...

Si
si_peacock

MORE DETAILS

Postby Sally Toms » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:44 pm

More details regarding the walk are to be finalised early this week - I will keep you posted.
For now I can tell you the walk will start at about 8am on Thursday from Buckie and finish at the Craigellachie (of course!)
On the Friday, local politicians have been invited to join the walk for an hour or so from the Craigellachie to Dufftown. Should be a good photo opportunity for their pre-election campaigns!

Sally
Sally Toms
News & Picture Editor

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder