Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

No change as owners keep Craigellachie

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

No change as owners keep Craigellachie

Postby Sally Toms » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:54 pm

It’s as you were for the Craigellachie hotel. After weeks of sale speculation and fears about the hotel’s future, the current owners have decided not to sell it and its famous whisky bar.

And they announced the news at the start of the Speyside Festival with the announcement that they intend to provide funds for fresh investment.

Little is known about the reasoning behind the change of heart, but the owners have made it clear that they intend to channel much more into strengthening the hotel’s unique reputation as having the ‘best whisky bar in the world.’

The first of such innovations is the introduction of a monthly ‘exclusive collector’s dram’ when a rare and expensive bottling will be available to sample at cost price. First offer was a 1945 Macallan at under £40 a shot.
Sally Toms
News & Picture Editor

Postby Pipe and dram » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:15 pm

I guess this is good news since it is a great place to stay and sample a fine collection of whiskies - my suggestion is that they provide the more regular malts (10, 12, y.o, etc) at a more reasonable price. I know a lot of folks who end up having a dram and then heading over to the Highlander to Drink because they have about 80 malts at much cheaper prices!!
Pipe and dram

Postby Lawrence » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:03 pm

I read somewhere recently that the Craigellachie bought the Highlander.....
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby susywong » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:11 am

Was in the Highlander at the weekend. The Craigellachie haven't bought it, Duncan Elphick has. He's left the hotel to take over the Highlander. And i must say, he's already doing a damn fine job!

:D

Keep up the good work guys!!

Susy
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:33 pm

I look forward to visiting in October. Hope they're still pumping out the cask ale!
Deactivated Member

Postby susywong » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:24 am

They are indeed!! They're also thinking about expanding the malt selection. They've got great plans, and lets hope it makes a great pub even better!!
:D
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:34 am

I spent a great evening in the Highlander with some friends in 2000, a drunken fisherman who had some success during the day was celebrating and sang Frank Sinatra, badly, to us all during the evening. It was very funny and we met an employee of Bunnahabhain there who later in the week gave us an exclusive tour of Bunna. Fond memories.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder