Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Norfolk Whisky Company

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

The Norfolk Whisky Company

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:42 pm

The first British distillery outside the Celtic fringe is to be built this year in Norfolk, just down the road from the headquarters of Whisky Magazine.
Map - http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dl ... 78&A=Y&Z=5

The Norfolk Whisky Company has been given the green light to start work on the distillery at a village in the south of the county and is aiming to start production this September.

It has already drawn up plans and is set to use Forsyths to build the stills. It is also in talks with a 'well known' Scottish distiller with the aim of employing him to run the project.

Norfolk could well be the ideal place for an English distillery. It boasts some of the best barley in Britain (which it already 'exports' to distilleries in Scotland) and the new distillery will be built on an underground source of pure spring water. East Anglia's favourable climate should also benefit production.

The new distillery will have a shop, café and visitors' centre. There is no other registered distillery in England but St Austell Brewery in Cornwall is producing an amount of whisky in partnership with a local farmer.
Last edited by Matt2 on Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt2

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:44 pm

Has this anything to do with WM? An in-house distillery for use by staff and subscribers perchance?? :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:47 pm

There is no link to WM, but I am sure we will be visiting for a dram or two :D . It is also a great chance to see a distillery being built from scratch, I'm sure the magazine will follow this with interest.
Matt2

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Shame :wink:
Looking forward to reading how things progress. It will be interesting to see how it is received North of the Border - I'm sure there will be a few heads shaking at the thought of an "English Scotch" :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:16 am

Wow!!

My grandparents used to live in Norwich City and I use to visit all the time. Too bad I don't get up there anymore.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Striped Weasel » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:52 am

I think its absolutely brilliant. Think I may see if I can build one in my back Garden!!!
Striped Weasel

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:37 pm

Definitely looking forward to an ongoing story along the lines of "Birth of a Distillery".

Maybe one of my future UK visits could take in the distillery visit along with meeting Matt, Marc, et al at WM.
Deactivated Member

Postby lexkraai » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:44 pm

Just to add: there's a second English distillery being built in the Lake District, which hopes to start distilling pretty soon as well. Web-site is here:
http://www.lakelandwhisky.com/

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Re:

Postby Blackjag » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:57 am

See 'English Distillery Launched' Forum for latest news
Blackjag
'Silent Still' Member

Re: The Norfolk Whisky Company

Postby trappist » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:18 pm

The Lakeland distillery is no more.