Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Sazerac launch is a rye run...

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team
Related whiskies : Sazerac Rye

Sazerac launch is a rye run...

Postby Sally Toms » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:24 am

After more than a century, an old face is making a welcome return to the drinks shelf.

The Sazerac Company in New Orleans has decided that after a 116-year absence Sazerac Rye, bottled in the original late 1800s package, will be made available once more.

Sazerac Rye is distilled, aged and hand-bottled at the company’s award-winning Buffalo Trace Distillery. Each bottle from the initial production run of 1,000 bottles will be specially numbered.

Charlotte Conner-Plute, brand manager, said the rye whiskey was a traditional ingredient in cocktails.

“We began aging the whiskey for Sazerac Rye in 1998 and after seven summers this whiskey is at a perfect age for drinking,” she said.
“With the resurgent demand for American rye whiskey and for classic cocktails, it looks like our limited supply will sell out quickly.”

The reintroduction of Sazerac Rye coincided with the launch of Phillip Collier’s Missing New Orleans book.

The publication pays tribute to New Orleans’ rich traditions and history, and includes a history of the Sazerac Company.

The firm is one of the oldest family-owned companies in New Orleans, dating back to 1850 and there was a coffee house of the same name.
The rye whiskey grew in popularity as the primary ingredient of America’s first cocktail – the Sazerac.

For more information visit: http://www.sazerac.com
Sally Toms
News & Picture Editor

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:48 pm

The 1,000 numbered bottles were reserved for employees/VIPs and distributed by Buffalo Trace. The total initial run was 3,600 bottles. It has been in distribution in the U.S. from as early as last December in some places.
Originally, it was intended to be distributed solely in its namesake New Orleans/Louisiana region, where the Sazerac cocktail originated, but Hurricane Katrina made that unfeasible. Thus, it achieved wider distribution.
I posted a tasting note here:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/s ... php?t=4786
Deactivated Member

Sazerac

Postby greengene13 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:16 pm

After reading about this development, I happened to be out with a friend and we stopped into Noonan's in Larkspur California. They had a bottle and I had a few. Very nice whiskey. :D
greengene13

Postby lbacha » Tue May 16, 2006 8:22 pm

Well I have 6 bottles on order through the Ohio state liquor board. It's been a while since I ordered it but they did say they will get it, so now all have to do is wait in antisipation. It's a shame it is so tough to get liquor in Ohio. They won't let you mail order liquor in and they are picky about what they sell.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Richiyaado » Wed May 17, 2006 2:33 am

Just thought I'd mention that a fellow I work with, a very talented designer, created the label designs for the new Sazerac ryes... he also created the labels for Buffalo Trace's standard bourbon, as well as several of their specialty bottlings.
Richiyaado

Postby MGillespie » Wed May 17, 2006 3:05 am

Digging back in the archives...there's an interview with one of the Sazerac folks about this whiskey in Episode 17 of WhiskyCast...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Sazerac Rye

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder