Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

World Whisky and Cigar Challenge 2006

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

World Whisky and Cigar Challenge 2006

Postby Matt2 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:58 am

What is the best combination of whisky and cigar? Rob Allanson joined a large panel of judges to find out.

For a cigar smoker this year’s World Whisky and Cigar challenge was not just about drinking and smoking. Being a judge at the event, held at Boisdales Restaurant in London, it was more like being a football manager presented with four different pairs of strikers.

Do you choose something big up front that might have problems finishing, a timid starter that packs a punch at the end or a good all round crowd pleaser?

Read the full results and review at the Cigar Buyer web site.

Winning Combination

Don Ramos and
Whyte & Mackay 30 year old
Matt2

Re: World Whisky and Cigar Challenge 2006

Postby HAPPYTURIST » Fri May 09, 2008 9:07 pm

Thank you guys to your nice post, I love habanos and whisky, of course
As a toursit due to my duties at work, here is a story want to share with all of you,

A couple of days ago at B.W.I Airport with my boarding pass in the hand and almost ready to board the plane to fly from D:C to Connecticut something really annoying happened to me, with almost two hours before my plane take off went to have a cup of coffee and some donuts in a cafeteria in the boarding area, asking for some extra napkins to the cashier and this woman with no manners in a very rude way, told me that I got enough at the time paid her my order.-
Really annoying that at International Airport, with thousand and thousand of tourist crossing every day, something stupid like this situation occurred, just got my solocigars habano and went to take a seat in one of the boarding pier area watching TV until my plane finally took off. No complains about airline staff, but some people working at the Airport are far away to know how to made the tourist and installations users, feel comfortable before start sometimes a long fly.'
HAPPYTURIST

Postby longboarder11 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:28 am

Strange I treated myself to one of my best Malts - a 27 year old and I had a cigar with in for the 1st time. The smoke I found deadened my taste buds to the complexity of the malt for about 3-4 mins after each puff. While both were enjoyable I think I'm not going to mix and match when I'm drinking the best my cabinet has to offer.
longboarder11

Postby UUNetBill » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:06 am

I seldom have a cigar when I'm enjoying one of my finer malts. I'll pour a dram of the Dalmore Cigar Malt (the power of advertising, I guess - but it's reasonably priced) or one of my mid-bodied malts - but generally, I prefer bourbon or Colorado whiskey with a stogie.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby mikeymad » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:31 am

Well welcome to the forum HAPPYTURIST and longboarder11....

I was after a related pursuit a while ago with a thread about pipe tobacco and whisky... until SOMEONE came along and crapped all over my thread... so I dropped it......

I have enjoyed several nice cigars and whisky combinations, Some of my favs were Cubans(very rare for me to try in the US) and cask strength Sherry aged malts.

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder