Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

You wait ages for an English distiller, then...

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

You wait ages for an English distiller, then...

Postby Sally Toms » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:42 am

Just weeks after the announcement was made that an English distillery was to be built in Norfolk, it has surfaced that plans for another English distillery are well under way.

Lakeland Distillers is planning to build a single malt whisky distillery at Staveley near Kendal.

The distillery, called Barley Bridge Distillery, will be housed inside the buildings of a former 19th century bobbin mill on the banks of the River Kent, England’s fastest flowing river.

The river’s water will be key to the process of producing the new English spirit.

Andrew Currie, former marketing director Isle of Arran Distillers, is a founder and managing director of Lakeland Distillers.

It is expected the distillery will have only a small production capacity, and orders are already being taken for the first cases and casks.

Meanwhile, things are getting underway at the Norfolk Distillery Company. The copper stills have been purchased from Forsyths and a first payment of £500,000 has been made.

And in what is a major coup for the distillery, highly respected distiller Iain Henderson has moved to Norfolk and starts work at the new business later this summer.

Iain’s previous distilleries include Strathisla, Glenlivet, Bladnoch, Ardbeg, Laphroaig and most recently Edradour.
Sally Toms
News & Picture Editor

Re: You wait ages for an English distiller, then...

Postby trappist » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:22 pm

The Lakeland distillery is no more.

Here is confirmation from the "Westmoreland Gazette" from October 2007:-

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/ ... id=1790455

Sadder, wiser and poorer .....
trappist
'Silent Still' Member

Re: You wait ages for an English distiller, then...

Postby TheTross » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:58 pm

I thought that too at first Nick, but I think whenever the BBCode's disabled then your post count can't increase.

EDIT: Yup, BBCode is currently [i]OFF[/i] for me, and even though I just posted this my post count didn't go up.

On topic, it's definitely a shame about the distillery, seemed that a lot of effort was put into it in vain :(
TheTross
Gold Member

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder