Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Question mark over The Craig's future

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Question mark over The Craig's future

Postby Sally Toms » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:45 am

The on-off saga of Speyside’s Craigellachie Hotel is set for another twist with the news that it has had to cancel a bourbon tasting later this year amidst claims that it has been bought by a national hotel chain.

As Whisky Magazine went to press it was rumoured that the award winning, four star hotel, a popular destination for whisky enthusiasts, had been snapped up by the Swallow Inns group.

A spokeswoman for the company, which runs more than 35 hotels and inns across the country, remained tight lipped about the possible acquisition.

She added: “It is not possible for us to say anything until everything has been finalised.”

Swallow Inns recently added the Carnoustie Hotel and Gleddoch House to its books.
Sally Toms
News & Picture Editor

Postby weespeydram » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:37 pm

I had it confirmed to me this week from another Speyside Hotel owned by the Swallow Group, that they have purchased the Craigellachie.
weespeydram

Postby The Fachan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 am

Folks,

The Craig is now being run by Oxford Hotels and Inns having been taken over 2 days after Swallow went into recievership.
Management are in the process of working through all aspects of the handover and we should see the hotel back to what it was very soon.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:55 am

Hopefully the Quaich Bar will be kept as is, or even improved. I know the Highlander is expanding shelf space for a larger range of malts, and that is to be welcomed, but the Quaich is Speyside's malt mecca.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:13 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hopefully the Quaich Bar will be kept as is, or even improved. I know the Highlander is expanding shelf space for a larger range of malts, and that is to be welcomed, but the Quaich is Speyside's malt mecca.

It's not in any danger, the new owners know a good thing when they see one.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:36 pm

It seems I was wrong. The Scotch Whisky Review reports that the new owners have cut 200 bottles from the selection in the Quaich Bar.

It seems there have been unconfirmed reports of continuos laughter from the Highlander Inn across the street.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby dram_time » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:41 am

Lawrence wrote:It seems I was wrong. The Scotch Whisky Review reports that the new owners have cut 200 bottles from the selection in the Quaich Bar.

Thats a shame, I wonder why the would do that??
The sheer amount of whisky on offer must be a real draw for customers to come and spend money there. I wonder how many people that stay in the hotel are there just for the whisky in the bar?? quite a few i would think.

But I guess that they still have around 500 - 600 bottles on the shelves right?

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:39 am

It's nice to have a bazillion bottles, but I should think that any pub owner would have to consider turnover and spoilage. I've been in the Craig a few times, and of course it's always in October, but it has always been pretty quiet when I've been there; the place is not, as you might think, hopping with malt enthusiasts every night all year round.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:21 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:It's nice to have a bazillion bottles, but I should think that any pub owner would have to consider turnover and spoilage. I've been in the Craig a few times, and of course it's always in October, but it has always been pretty quiet when I've been there; the place is not, as you might think, hopping with malt enthusiasts every night all year round.

I've been there a few times as well and can only agree, and the last time we were there for 3 or 4 days. We were the only malt drinkers in the bar all that time, the only other visitors a group of golfing Danes who were ordering screwdrivers each evening...

I did hop in to the manager of Amrut though, which was a really pleasant surprise.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby dram_time » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:05 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote: I've been in the Craig a few times, and of course it's always in October, but it has always been pretty quiet when I've been there; the place is not, as you might think, hopping with malt enthusiasts every night all year round.

I find that quite suprising!! I allways thought that would be THE place to go for a malt enthusiasts and allways imagined it to be fairly busy, even in the winter months.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:26 pm

I'll bet they move more volume at the Highlander these days--they don't have near the selection, but they do have a nice pub atmosphere. Competition can be a good thing. If I found myself in possession of the Craig, I'd certainly be thinking about making some changes.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:48 pm

as with everthing, difffrent folk have diffrent ideas on how they think the place sould run and each have there own ideas for trying to impove somthing.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Was in the Craig a few days ago and I would say the 200 de-listed bottles is over the top, there are some spaces but considering the financial problems that followed on from the previous owners they are fighting back.
New agreements have been put in place with suppliers so hopefully we will see The Quaich Bar back to its full glory soon.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:06 pm

The Fachan wrote:Was in the Craig a few days ago and I would say the 200 de-listed bottles is over the top, there are some spaces but considering the financial problems that followed on from the previous owners they are fighting back.
New agreements have been put in place with suppliers so hopefully we will see The Quaich Bar back to its full glory soon.

That all sounds more promising. I'll be up in Speyside in a few weeks time so will certainly stick my head in and see how it's all looking
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:36 pm

deleted
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:47 pm

Lawrence wrote:deleted

How :!:

Earth quake / bulldozer :?: :?: :?:

:wink: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:19 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Lawrence wrote:deleted

How :!:

Earth quake / bulldozer :?: :?: :?:

:wink: :lol:

I became sligthly ahead of myself....... :roll:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:25 pm

There are effective therapies for that.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:05 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:There are effective therapies for that.

I'm working on it, one dram at a time........ :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder