Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Canadian whisky industry honours its 2008 Icons

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Canadian whisky industry honours its 2008 Icons

Postby Matt2 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:53 am

Canadian distiller Kittling Ridge Estates Distillery has been voted the best distiller in this year's Icons of Whisky Canada, held by Whisky Magazine. The independent company, based in Ontario, faced stiff competition from a shortlist of Canadian distillers.

To celebrate the people and places behind the greatest whiskies in the world, this year's judging process will also include regional heats in the U.S., Japan, Ireland and Scotland.

Other big winners included John Hall from Kittling Ridge Distillery who became Ambassador of the Year, and Diageo scooped the Innovator of the Year award.

The icons will now go forward to the final world Icons which will be announced at an awards ceremony at the Cafe Royal, London, 28th Feburary 2008, held to mark the opening of Whisky Live London.

The full list of Icons of Whisky are:

DISTILLER OF THE YEAR
Winner - Kittling Ridge Estates
Highly Commended - Diageo

VISITOR ATTRACTION OF THE YEAR
Winner - Canadian Club Visitor Center
Highly Commended - Glenora

INNOVATOR OF THE YEAR
Winner - Diageo
Highly Commended - Glenora

AMBASSADOR OF THE YEAR
Winner - John Hall, Kittling Ridge
Highly Commended - Dan Tullio, Beam Global

RETAILER OF THE YEAR (MULTIPLE)
Winner - LCBO
Highly Commended - Alcool NB

RESTAURANT OF THE YEAR
Winner - Via Allegro Ristorante

WHISKY BAR OF THE YEAR
Winner - The Whisky Cafe
Highly Commended - The Lunar Rogue Pub
Matt2

Postby hpulley » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:10 pm

OK, so who voted for these and what exactly was the criterion for retailer of the year? I can't for the life of me imagine how the LCBO won...

What innovations did Diageo win for?

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:54 am

Well, hats-off to John Hall and Kittling Ridge. I believe we are going to see greater things in the future from Forty Creeks with John Hall at the helm. This weekend, a few of us will be heading to the Distillery to collect our bottles of the new release Small Batch Reserve, ltd edition. It will be lovely to congratulate Mr. Hall in person. I also want to acknowledge Joseph Cassidy and his team at Via Allegro Ristorante which was voted "Restaurant of the Year." I have written about this restaurant a few times and it is fantastic.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby mogilny8 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:09 am

I am with you Wendy
Congrats to Mr Hall

I cannot wait to pick up my special reserve this weekend.

Here is another link to this story
http://www.bestofwhisky.com
mogilny8

Postby hpulley » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:55 pm

Are you going Sunday or Saturday? We'll be there Sunday and are booked into the 2pm tour which I'm looking forward to as last time traffic made me late for the chance to view the distillery proper. Congrats to John for his award.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Just so you know the industry were asked for nominations which were then voted on by an editorial panel - myself in the chair.

For the innovations it is based on what has happened in the last 12 months - Diageo was chosen for its work with Crown Royal XR.

LCBO was chosen for its work constantly promoting whisky in the area.

I was at Kittling Ridge on Tuesday with John - great set up. Hope you like the small batch. :thumbsup:
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby hpulley » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:00 pm

That explains it then I guess. It was not at all from a customer perspective, certainly no local customers voted. I see very little whisky promotion here, maybe one or two per year at most (Whisky Live and Whisky Rocks). I guess the other retailers promoted whisky once or zero times?

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:26 am

I guess the key word is "multiple". Hard to see the LCBO being a more noteworthy promoter of whisky than some of the Alberta retailers.
Deactivated Member

LCBO award

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:17 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I guess the key word is "multiple". Hard to see the LCBO being a more noteworthy promoter of whisky than some of the Alberta retailers.

It's 'cause there'r more of US than THEM. The LC being one of the largest alcohol purchasers in the world, would have impact on the voting, and they do push the promotions up here. As every City, town, village, (even) hamlet has an outlet, we have more LCBO's than we do police detachments!
:)
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:22 pm

And that's why the ROC loves you so much!
Deactivated Member

Hidey ho good neighbour!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Y'know, I've really missed you this past week Bruce. Nice to spar with you again.

Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Canadian whisky industry honours its 2008 Icons

Postby scotchguy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:49 pm

With respect to the LCBO, there may be more of you then us(Alberta shops), but our selection is far greater and your prices are out to lunch!

There are 3-4 shops in this province which have a far better selection than even the best of the LCBO's... Many of the suppliers bypass Ontario because the LCBO is difficult to deal with. You may be the biggest bulk purchaser of alcohol in the world, but you have an ego to match!
scotchguy

Re: Canadian whisky industry honours its 2008 Icons

Postby Peter Alcamo » Sat May 03, 2008 8:02 pm

[quote="scotchguy"]With respect to the LCBO, there may be more of you then us(Alberta shops), but our selection is far greater and your prices are out to lunch!

There are 3-4 shops in this province which have a far better selection than even the best of the LCBO's... Many of the suppliers bypass Ontario because the LCBO is difficult to deal with. You may be the biggest bulk purchaser of alcohol in the world, but you have an ego to match![/quote]

The way I see it, the LCBO is one big wine store with a few token premium spirits at super premium prices. The whiskies are way overpriced in comparison to the US and other provincial licquor boards. The Bowmore 18 at $118 - most private shops in the US sell this for under $90 - how does that happen with the bulk buying power vs a private shop. I recently saved $36 on a premium rum from Nova Scotia ($109 vs $73). I thought with the parity (close enough) of the dollar, there would be better deals especially on new stock arriving.
I wish the LCBO and its old boys network would break-up.
Anyways, how does a monopoly win retailer of the year. Here's one I can't forget. About 2 years I went to an LCBO scotch tasting offering 5 cask strenghth whiskies at $75 and the only food they served was a few token crackers. I felt so light headed - nobody said to me that I should have eaten first - at $75 I expected some food. And then the have the nerve to promote "drink responsibly" "in moderation" blah blah blah. Yes they paid for my cab ride home but I had to take a cab back the next morning to fetch my car.
Excuse my rant. But I have a hard time with the LCBO winning anything except possibly the "Most poorly run Monoploy" - bunch of lazy fat cats that are not in touch with its consumers.

I feel better now.
Peter Alcamo

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder