Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live London 2009 (27-28 Feb)

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Re: Whisky Live London 2009 (27-28 Feb)

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Another great Whisky Live! Thanks must go the team who organise it and to the exhibiters who were there (and sucks yah boo to those who were not!). Come on guys you need to be there, it really does affect my spending over the next few months.

It was great to meet some old friends and make some new ones. I liked the new venue, and so did some of the exhibiters that I spoke to. It was a longer tube jouney but a much shorter walk at the other end.

See you there next year!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 am

Really enjoyed the day, tried a whole range of drams listed below. I will get a whole day ticket next year and make some tasting notes maybe. The food was very reasonable as well. A great day thanks WM.

Drams Savoured...

1. Ardbeg Blasda
2. Ardbeg Uigeadail
3. Glenmorangie La Santa
4. Bowmore 18
5. The Glenlivet Faemussach
6. Pappy Van Winkle's 15 Year Old Family Reserve
7. Pappy Van Winkle's 20 Year Old Family Reserve
8. Van Winkle's 13 Year Old Family Reserve Rye
9. Benriach Curiositas 10 Year Old Peated
10. Benriach 13 Year Old Maderensis Madeira Finish
11. Mackmyra - The First Edition Swedish Whisky
12. Yamazaki 18 Year Old
13. Connemara Cask Strength
14. Glenmorangie Nector D'or
15. Ben Nevis 10

The ones that really stuck out for me were the Van winkle bottlings - especially the rye (thanks for the recommendation Rob), the connermara, Benriach madeira and the Faemussach. These will all (apart from the last as it is not for sale) be added to my cabinet in the near future :thumbsup:
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:44 am

les taylor wrote:What a fantastic day. Venue was superb. Met many lovely people. Full report later. Great thanks to Whisky Magazine and all it's staff for putting on such really good event in bueatiful surrondings. :)

Totally agree and I was delighted that I could meet with Les and Bamber. I also had a nice little conversation with Rob about the Michael Jackson bottles but as some of my group were in a panic at the end of the day I missed the auction. Any one have details of how it went.

I found the exhibitors were helpful and informed and if they did not know an answer nobody tried to b/s us. The hall was full of enthusiasm and there was a great athmosphere ... I enjoyed spending an hour in the whisky lounge listening to some live jazz reclined in an armchair with a few drams.

Over all a success for me .... I just need to try and recall all I tasted :oops:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Pippa Tomson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:45 am

HI All

It's great to hear so many positive comments about the show and I'm so pleased you enjoyed yourselves after all the hard work we put in.

Hope to see you again next year or on September 12th in Glasgow.

Pippa
Pippa Tomson
Whisky Live Events Manager

Postby bamber » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Had a great time. Was well worth it and the people I took along who'd not been before are definite converts.

Was great to meet up with Iwc, Les and Paul.

Highlights:

Van Winkles, Heaven Hill, Benriach / Glendronach, Douglas Laing and the Japanese section at Bowmore.

Slight winge: great venue, but preferred the old one as it was less cramped and far easier to get to.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:45 pm

I got around to try

Ben Nevis 40 Years Old Unique" 'Blended at Birth (Lovely but short but for 140quid a bottle not bad for a 40yo) :thumbsup:

Cooley: Greenore 8yo & 15yo (These grain whiskies were a little lost after a good fwe singles but te 15 is great and we should of tackled them first thing) Connemara Sherry Cask (hiding in the back ground) A sherry finish and not a huge impact of sherry which is a good thing.

Glenlivet Nadurra & Faemussach (sic) must admit I preferred the Faemussach :thumbsup: but te Nadurra was good but I was a bit underwhelmed by it as I had heard so much good talk about it.

abunadh batch 21 (much light colour than usual but a cracking dram all the same :thumbsup:

Longmourn 16yo a fairly mute nose but plenty of flavour :thumbsup:

Glenmorangie.... Original, Lasanta, Quita Ruban, Nectar D'or the base original does not appear to be overpowered by the finishes and it was very interesting to taste them all in a row.

Nikka/Yoichi: Yoichi 10yo Single Cask, Coffeey(sic), Nikka White (Peated)

Old Pulteney 12yo, 17yo & 21yo the 17 won for me hands down :thumbsup:

Springbank 18yo one of the best of the day (Thanks bamber :thumbsup: )

Suntory .... Yamazaki 10, 12 :thumbsup: & 18 (The 12 was the best for me and probably will get a bottle as I already have a 18yo. The Hakushu 12yo was also a winning combination :thumbsup:

However my favourite of the day was a 12yo Coal Ila independent bottling and it was new company on me and I've forgotten it's name already. I ended up buying a bottle but left it in my friends house to be posted. They also had a lovely Arran 12yo

I'm sure I had one or 2 more but they'll probably come back to me at some stage ....

I did not get around to Evan Williams / Compas box or Van Winkle which I really wanted to get to :cry: but some one prematurely ordered a Taxi :headbang: (But the Englishman in question was forgiven later when we beat them in the Rugby :wink: )

I also totally missed The BenRiach Distillery and for the life of me did not notice their stand at all :o

Highlight was one of our group of four was a non whisky drinker and was a total convert :smoke:

It was very busy for the second half of the day so that was also why I put a few on the long finger but really enjoyed the day and did not get totally blathered which was a plus ....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Ye lucky b*ggers!!Would love to have been there... :cry:

Gigs have been a little thinner on the ground of late, but as sod's law would have it, I was working both nights, and no point spending all that time and travel money to...not drink!(sob, sniff)and who can afford NOT to work these days?

Shaun: "My wife is drivin' me ter drink!"
Seamus: "Yer lucky b*stard! I have ter walk!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Ye lucky b*ggers!!Would love to have been there... :cry:

See you there next year then - :thumbsup:
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby arkle » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Had a great time at WL, the new venue was a great success and felt more relaxed and welcoming and although the number of exhibitors was down,I still found plenty to taste!(and one offer of marriage!)

In the order tasted....................(with plenty of water in between!!!)
Glendronach 15
Glendronach 18 (sulphury nose but good old fashioned whisky,long peppery finish)
Glendronach 33yo disappointingly thin ? due to 40%
Glen Scotia 9yo
Springbank 18,I was underwhelmed by the short finish
Duncan Taylor 34yo grain,rich and fruity,long finish
Duncan Taylor Caperdonich 36yo,sweet like combe honey
OMC Glenfarclas 43yo oaky,fruity with long finish of sherbet lemons
Glenmo Astar sweet and long,loved it.
Glenmo Sonnalta grewonme,fruitcake,ginger,pepper,honey,oranges,herbal
Aberlour Abundah #24
Aberlour 18
Glenlivet 13
Glenlivet 18
Glenlivet 21 really loved it, fruity oak, sherbet lemon finish ,long and warm
OMC macallan 19yo rum finish
Benromach 16 sauternes finish
Compass Box Hedonism 2009
Compass Box optimism
Pultney 17 Pultney 21
Ardbeg Blasda (is this really only 8ppm? did I taste from a wrongly labelled bottle, it tasted much more peaty than I would expect at that concentration)
BenRiach 13 Madeira
Ben Riach curiositas
Ben Riach 16
An Cnoc 1993 much nicer than the 1994
An Cnoc 1994
An Cnoc 1975
Duncan Taylor 38yo blend was a fantastic dram,it went on and on and on
Springbank 1997
Glenkier Treasures Mortlach
Also I have written down Glenmo Nectar D'or, but I dont remember tasting it (cant think why!) :dead:

Looking forward to next year already and hope to get to say hello to a few forum members(where were the red carnations Les?) :wink:

Arkle
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:49 am

Hi Arkle glad you enjoyed the day. Sorry Arkle I left my Carnation pinned to my coat in the cloakroom. :wink: I'll do my report later when I've down loaded my pictures.

But one thing to say. And this is a heartfelt plea from MR Colin Dunn and all at the Diageo Masterclass. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Whisky Live event organizers can you make the masterclasses longer. 45 minutes is just not long enough time to do justice to 6 bueatiful aged whiskies .

For many the masterclasses are the highlight of the day and to be rushed out with indecent haste so that the next class can be set up is a real shame. And an experience hurried.
les taylor

Postby Pippa Tomson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:44 am

les taylor wrote:But one thing to say. And this is a heartfelt plea from MR Colin Dunn and all at the Diageo Masterclass. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Whisky Live event organizers can you make the masterclasses longer. 45 minutes is just not long enough time to do justice to 6 bueatiful aged whiskies .

For many the masterclasses are the highlight of the day and to be rushed out with indecent haste so that the next class can be set up is a real shame. And an experience hurried.

Apologies that the masterclasses were only 45 minutes long. This is because we need time to set up and clear away for each class. If they had been an hour long there would have been fewer classes. Your comment has been noted though and we will try to sort things out for next year.
Pippa
Pippa Tomson

Postby les taylor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Pippa it was obvious to see that you and your staff were working very hard behind the scenes to make the event a success and it was very much appreciated. Thanks for your comments. :)
les taylor

Postby fishboy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Pippa Tomson wrote:HI All

It's great to hear so many positive comments about the show and I'm so pleased you enjoyed yourselves after all the hard work we put in.

Pippa

Hi Pippa,

So is WL Glasgow taking place on September 12th as you indicated above, or October 30/31st as the WL webpage seems to suggest? :?

Cheers

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby JimP » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm glad you asked because I notice the date have now been changed. I was looking at flights and hotels for the 30/31st a few days ago. Glad I didn't book anything. I was thinking of going this year. The London event was great and don't want to wait a year.
JimP

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Finally figured out what my Fav drink at WL London was :oops:

Carn Mór Cask Islay 12yo :thumbsup:

http://www.purespiritdrinks.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_60&products_id=833
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Adrian I never saw that. Where was that? I'm convinced that one day is never enough at these events.
les taylor

Postby JimP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:13 pm

I have been following this forum for a couple of years now and ventured out to the whisky live last year and this. I get back, both last year as well as this one, look at the forum pages and find out about all the stuff I missed. I didn't know there was a lounge with jazz and whisky. I would have been in heaven. Still, next time I will try and drag myself away from the tables and the fine whisky and look into the side rooms. Second thoughts dragging myself away from the whisky, I think not :D
One thing i did miss on the forum is the change in start times, couldnt believe it when the tables started to pack up at 5.
Can i just say though, Pippa, it seemed that there wasn't as much this year, but non the less the whisky was fine and the venue, i little out of the way, but great.
Thanks alot for the efforts put in.
JimP

Postby Pippa Tomson » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

fishboy wrote:
Pippa Tomson wrote:HI All

Pippa

Hi Pippa,

So is WL Glasgow taking place on September 12th as you indicated above, or October 30/31st as the WL webpage seems to suggest? :?

Cheers

FB

Whisky Live Glasgow is definitely on Saturday 12th September this year - think Matt has updated the website now.
Pippa Tomson

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:21 pm

les taylor wrote:Adrian I never saw that. Where was that? I'm convinced that one day is never enough at these events.

One day is long enough if you don't drink anything!!

My dram of the day was AnCnoc 1975.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby JimP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:17 pm

I had a small sample of the An Cnoc 1975 and i would also say that it was a sample to boast about. But for me it was the 43 year old that could not be named (Glenfarclas) on the Douglas Laing table. Outstanding

:angel:
JimP

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:05 pm

les taylor wrote:Adrian I never saw that. Where was that? I'm convinced that one day is never enough at these events.

I missed a couple of things myself Les :roll:

From the entrance it was up to the top of the venue and in to the right of the T. Basically if you were leaning on the bar of Fullers it was in the corner to the left as you were looking across to the wall at the other side. One small table with a single person manning it. He seemed to get more confused as the day went on the poor soul but he was very nice.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:05 pm

Cheers Adrian, I did go in there just before we went off for our masterclass but as time was pressing didn't get to see all the stands. One to look out for next time.
les taylor

Postby Hereward » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:20 pm

My favourite, somewhat to my surprise, wasn't one of the really old and rare drams, but Aberlour 18. I had to go and buy a bottle at TWE. Lovely.
Hereward

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Anyone Do the Ardbeg Masterclass ?
How was Davinia and what were the drams ?
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:23 pm

SOI,

Didn't do the class but saw Davinia who (looked) was great :oops:
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:Anyone Do the Ardbeg Masterclass ?
How was Davinia and what were the drams ?

The drams were:
New make spirit
10 Year old
Uigeadail
Supernova
Blasda, and
a cask strength that was filled during the festival week (I forget the year).

Davina was a delight!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks Paul , i think Davinia is doing a Masterclass at the Newcastle Whisky Festival and was wondering what might be on offer . That CS from the festival week sounds interesting , wonder if it was one we filled in 2002 ? They let you fill casks of Ardbeg on their festival day in 2001 and 2002 , great fun but never been able to persuade them to let me see how it's progressing , need to have a word with Mickey again if they are throwing it around at tastings !
Further Proof......
caskfilling.jpg

caskrolling.jpg

I even know where it is in the Warehouse.....
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:06 pm

Now that you've said, I think it was 2002. It was very, very good!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Paul ,
Been talking to a man in the know , yes it was a 2002 filled on Ardbeg Day , doesn't think it was the one i filled (Cask 1452) , so someone's from that day has been cracked !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Nice picutres SOI :thumbsup:
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder