Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live London 2010 (26-27 Feb)

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Re: Whisky Live London 2010 (26-27 Feb)

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Any Reports?

I was just wondering the same
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:26 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Any Reports?

Willie it was brilliant so many good experiences. I've not long got up just had some breakfast, taking Mrs Les out for a bit, will report later. I may have some piccies as well. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby biglads » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 pm

I was there for about 3 1/2 hours yesterday. It was good but overall I thought there were too many guests / not enough exhibitors.

To get to some of the tables involved a bit of a bunfight at times, I still managed to come home with 4 bottles though :)
biglads

Postby breathecosse » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Like Biglads said a low turn out from the distillers.
I would like to know peoples opinions here.
Having being going from the start, i wonder if it has really ran its
course. The first few years there was a lot of people there just to get bladdered, then it got to be those that respected and enjoyed a dram.
Friday was a good change for me but yesterday again was people there
just getting bladdered.
The distillers have been dwindling away and i had hoped that it being the 10th anniversary some of those there originally would have returned.

Also the anniversary bottles were not even available for collection, they will be available next month, what is that about?
breathecosse

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:59 pm

breathecosse wrote:
Also the anniversary bottles were not even available for collection, they will be available next month, what is that about?

On this point, The bottles are being shipped from Japan and have not been UK custom stamped yet. There will be here in a couple of weeks I have been told.
Sorry for any inconvenience, but they will be worth waiting for.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby breathecosse » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Cheers Rob. The girl at the counter was not to sure.
Will the Whisky Shop notify us then post them out?
breathecosse

Postby JimP » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:05 pm

I had the opportunity to attend the Saturday and have to say was left disappointed. This is my third year and since its moved to the new venue, find it difficult to get there. I only travelled from just outside Brighton and it still took me nearly 3 hours with the travel changes that I had to make. There seemed to be a drastic lack of the attending distilleries and I'm sure that some disappeared before the end. I past the Ardbeg table, but when I went back to it, Gone.
I feel there was more going on at the old venue, when it was easier to get to. Last year it dwindled and this year, well. I wander if the distilleries feel the same and that would explain the absence.
We don't need such a prestiges venue to entice us in , we need convenience of travel.
I had a feeling when I left that this could be the last year I attend, however, I really hope it's not.
Sorry about the rant, but i felt quiet deflated when i left there. Hope i haven't offended anyone. :( :( :evil:
JimP

Postby breathecosse » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 pm

[quote="JimP" This is my third year and since its moved to the new venue, find it difficult to get there. [/quote]

For me it is an easier journey than that of the Horticultural halls. Trip to paddington then tube to putney bridge. :lol:

As for the venue, it is lacking the atmosphere that the halls had but is in nicer surroundings.

Would be great to see the distillers that were there in the past return but the costs for some are just too much.
breathecosse

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 pm

I had a great day on Saturday, I had concerns that the morning tickets would make it as busy before lunch as it is after, but it wasn't so.

After finding my way there last year, I found the venue with no trouble this year, I actually arrived at Putney Bridge an hour and half early, so had time for two breakfasts to set me up for the day.

After an initial stroll around the hall to see who was there, I started the day with a 40yr old Ben Nevis, which was a great start. I did notice that Bowmore were missing, although I thought that they had confirmed they were attending, also that Ardbeg/Glemorangie only had a small table that looked like a last minute thing. Did bad weather on Islay prevent them from coming?

It does seem to be getting smaller each year, but I hope it will continue. I enjoy talking with the guys (and girls) on the stands and meeting up with so many great people that go each year. Hi Les! For me it's as much a social gathering as it is a whisky tasting, but the two together are fantastic.

Some intersting drams were the new Glen Morays, Springbanks and Dalmors, as well as some old friends like Glenrothes and Strathisla. There may be less stands but I still didn't get to all of them, sorry Highland Park.

I did see more people this year looking 'tired and emotional' by the end of the day and an ambulance parked outside is not a good sign. That could just be an influx of new people, one young man I met outside said he had had too much, too soon and wished he hadn't. It was his first visit. It took me a few years to get the balance right, between talking and drinking. Overall, it was a friendly day, even the walk back to the station and the journey to King's Cross was like a party.

Sorry for the lack of tasting notes, I don't do that sort of thing, I will say that my dram of the day was the 40yr old Ben Nevis. It's the sort of whisky you need when your slouched in a big leather armchair, with a roaring log fire and the wind howling outside.

Well done Whisky Live, long may you continue.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 pm

My report is that it was a goodish show, but not great. Not a patch on the early days, but sadly with the increase in the number of whisky events throughout the calendar, and ever increased costs of exhibiting, it's inevitable.

Highlights from the show for me were the people. Having an animated conversation with Willie Tait (Jura) about the hogwash that is talked about chill filtering and what Bruichladdich did with his fine spirit.

I found a Glenfiddich which I didn't hate (mostly because it didn't taste of Glenfiddich), and got to taste their new make spirit which tastes of the pear drops which I hate so much. Thanks to Ian Murray.

I learnt from Gerry (Tosh?) of Highland Park what went wrong with their Amassador's Cask #2, and why the Whisky Live 10th cask would be SO much better. However I couldn't taste it on their stand as they were only allowed to exhibit 1 bottle, and so had to tast it on the WL stand with someone who knew nothing about whisky! GREAT!

As others have said the Glenmo/Ardbeg whisky / food pairings were poor, and disappeared part way through the show. Shame!

I discovered Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon and liked it alot. Lots of bourbon sweetness BUT with a dolop of rye bite. Spoke with a charming girl from Standstead travel retail and tried to convince her to look at stocking it.

It was also great meeting up with familiar faces, too many to name, but thanks for the craic and whisky.

Whilst the exhibitors were few, the day disappeared in a blink, and last pours were called too soon. Except for the first 20 minutes I never felt "now what", and there were a couple of stands I forgot to visit.

Les -> I bumped in to a brother of your friend (I think that's the right way round) who was trying to blag a 13YO Glenlivet off Ian without a silver card! He mentioned that you and friend may not have used your Friday tickets! :iwbrnt:

Apart from the chap having a lie down on the steps who needed the ambulance, and a few random idiots I thought it was pretty good natured.

Good to see the vouchers working as well as previous years :thumbsup:

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby RufusA » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:15 pm

How rude of me. Pippa thanks for organising a great day, and don't take the odd bit of sniping to heart. It was a great event, just not as great as some years!

R.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Pippa Tomson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks Rufus - you're more than welcome and thank you for your comments. It's always very disheartening to hear people complaining when I've worked so hard to make the event enjoyable and run smoothly but when I get a nice comment it makes it all seem worthwhile again so thank you for cheering me up! I hope you'll come again next year.
Pippa Tomson
Whisky Live Events Manager

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Sorry for the late report it's been a mad week with deadlines to meet. Although we were kindly invited to the Friday and then we'd booked for the Saturday as well, in the end work commitments would only allow one day, As two of our party had not been before and we decided in the end to accompany all the guys and go on the Saturday.

What a great day, for us Hurlingham is so easy to get to and such a lovely venue. I went across to my brothers and we got the train from Hemel Hempstead, once an hour there is a Brighton service that stops at West Brompton instead of going into Euston.. So one change on the tube to Putney Bridge and Bob's your Uncle and you're there.

Thanks to Steve as well who allowed us to have our tickets early so that we didn't have to queue up when doors opened, so we went for a nice double espresso round the corner.

Our first stop was to visit the whisky mag stand and wet the whistle with a Evan Williams. Fist voucher of the day and I'm thinking 1 voucher down and it's only just started.

11.15 was an absolute treat with the Highland Park Masterclass. Gerry Tosh told us that he'd up until 5am, I have to say he must have stamina because he was excellent. As I said before that 2 of our guys had not been to whisky Live or any Masterclasses before they really enjoyed it. Gerry pitched just right for newbies and those that have a bit more experience. It was a very interesting presentation of every thing Highland Park it's history location and unique taste,

We had to taste HP 12, 15, & 18. Then the stars of the class, Earl Magnus 15 which is edition 1 and completely finished and sold out. Earl Magnus 12 which is nearly there, and finally Earl Magnus 18, which in it's raw state is very citrus, but extremely enjoyable we all agreed that it was already a cracking dram, but Gerry assures us that there is more work to be done on this.

What was nice was that Gerry took the time to chat informally and meet many individuals after the class had finished.

When we were about to go into the show I bumped into Colin Dunn who I think is one of those people it is always a pleasure to meet as his enthusiasm is just what whisky live is all about. Colin invited us to a private tasting later in the day after out Highland Park tasting. This was an outdoor event next a fountain in the grounds. We tried these Rare Malt whiskies, Banff 21y.o. . Brora 20y.o. Rosebank 20y.o. Millburn 35y.o. Glenury Royal 23y.o.
For me the most outstanding was the Banff 21yo. So many thanks to Colin for his hospitality and his time and knowledge. The guys that were with me thought that this was a real highlight of the day.

Topped up with the beautiful handmade chocolates that a charming lady had made and shared with us all.

Then of course it was time for lunch and a regroup. So about 3.15 it was time to hit the floor again. Ian Logan was his normal brilliant self and had a little something extra for us to try, and a little parting gift for my bag at the end of the day. Thanks Ian .

We enjoyed very much the El Dorado Rum but didn't have time to get back to purchase a bottle. Frank at Springbank was very hospitable and we enjoyed the Springbank 18 and CV. Michael at Cooley was as good as always but had run out of things to try by the time we got there. Our fault not his. John Glazer at Compass Box had a demijohn of something for the show called Decadence which was really nice.

We met up with an Old Stalwart of the show Paul Jellis and all in all about 20 of our friends from Bedford Welwyn , Hatfield, Harlow, St Albans , Swindon & Hemel Hempstead.

Now there has been some negative comments about the show, I tend to think that its easy to criticize but you enjoy it more if you go with a positive frame of mind and set out to enjoy your self you will. There has also been comments about the amount of exhibitors at the show, sure there could be more, but you know we didn't have time to visit all that were there this year, so sorry to those that we didn't get to visit.

After the show we went to Le Relais De Venise in Marylebone Lane for a steak. And of course conversation got to what we thought to the show, everyone enjoyed it and all want to come again next year. I did say hello to Pippa and RoB at the show it was nice to see you. And from all our group it's a big thumbs up and thanks for a really good event, It's much appreciated.

No time for pictures today but if anyone would like to see any I'll post some next week. Off to Mundeseley for the weekend, but that's another story.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 pm

les taylor wrote:Now there has been some negative comments about the show, I tend to think that its easy to criticize but you enjoy it more if you go with a positive frame of mind and set out to enjoy your self you will.

I have to admit, when giving feedback I tend to concentrate on the so called "negative". This is because I always look out for this in feedback I get because it is the area I can improve on. I tend to feel that feedback without criticism is not very valuable. I understand that this is just my view and others do not see it that way so I do sometimes cause upset with my feedback though none is usually intended.
I know I did not attend this years London Whisky Live, but I attended last years, and after re-reading my feedback I can see how it could be taken badly.

So in summary, what I am trying to say is, "Pippa, you do an amazing job! Whisky Live is an amazing event that you should rightly be proud of. People may have criticism but this is just an opportunity to keep improving the event so it does not become stagnant.
Keep up the good work."
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Pippa Tomson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks Clubsmed. We take all the comments and try our best to improve for the next year. Sometimes we manage it and sometimes we don't!
Pippa Tomson
Whisky Live Events Manager

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:50 pm

les taylor wrote: We met up with an Old Stalwart of the show Paul Jellis and all in all about 20 of our friends from Bedford Welwyn , Hatfield, Harlow, St Albans , Swindon & Hemel Hempstead.

Thank you Les, I've been called a lot of things, but, Old Stalwart makes me sound like a cheap blended whisky. It was good to see you there again my friend, it was a fantastic day.

Pippa, I hope my comments did not come across as negative, Whisky Live is an event that I really look forward to. I think the new venue is working well, the layout makes everything very easy to find, the Masterclass rooms, the food hall, toilets etc all off the main hall is great. I only had the roll that is included with the ticket price this year (still full from my two breakfasts), but the meal I had last year was very good. I have found the staff very helpful and very friendly.

So, thanks for all your hard work, it is appreciated. I'm looking forward to coming again next year.

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder