Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"GOODIE BAG" AT WHISKY LIVE

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

"GOODIE BAG" AT WHISKY LIVE

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:00 pm

Went to "Whisky Live" yesterday (Friday) and had a really great time. Not only did I taste some wonderful malts, but got to meet some of the greats of the whisky world.

One complaint though. The pre-event publicity mentioned a (direct quote from Issue 38 of Whisky Magazine):- "goodie bag packed full of miniatures......"

To me, the expression "packed full of miniatures" implies that there will be a fair few. However, mine contained just two - a Talisker 10yo and a Dewars 12yo.

Perhaps, next year's publicity could be a little more accurate - so that people aren't disappointed.
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:39 pm

:lol: I thought Whisky Live was truely brilliant.

Meeting the stars, trying stuff you would never try again. Fantastic stuff.

OK Minitures were exactly overflowing, but thats like saying a Brand New Ferriari, top of range is crap because the stereo only goes up to a Volume of No7 when your own crappie Mondeo goes up to 8.

Great egvent, great people!
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

ONLY A TIDDLY COMPLAINT

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:05 am

Don't get me wrong. I too thought that the whole event was truly brilliant. A great afternoon out.

As to the "Goodie Bag", I think that there are two real options.

The first is to drop it altogether, saving the organisers time and effort. I don't suppose for a moment that it would impact on ticket sales.

The second is to make it worthwhile taking away. Last time that I went to "Whisky Live" (2001 or maybe 2002), my Goodie Bag was heaving with miniatures and all sorts of memorabilia.
Deactivated Member

Goodie bags

Postby Marcin Miller » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:10 pm

I think you are spot on.

We'll either drop goodie bags altogether (and find something else to entice you with) or have to ensure they are worth the billing.

The trouble is that at the first Whisky Live it was all rather new and there were fewer visitors. So all the distillers saw minis as a great promotional oportunity (that's what they are for anyway).

However, as the event grows (and there are more of them), there is understandably a greater reticence amongst distillers.

Thanks for the kind words about the event itself and look forward to seeing you next year!

M
Marcin Miller

Postby Hendriks » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:21 pm

Dear Marcin,

I must agree on all what Eelbrook said.
I was at the event for the 4 th time ,from day one.
I'll try and make it to the 5th and even the 1st scottish one.

I must say the event developed very well and it's great to see so many industry people there.

I again persuade some friends to fly in on Saturday not to miss the event and yhey had a great time,They were slightly dissapointed to get there Goodie bags as Eelbrook.
Even i was, the past few years where very good and was a great extra for a lot of people to make this even t truely a great event.

Now i got my goodie bag on Friday, and was a little surrprissed to find a bottle of beer and only a Dewars minature.

The next day it was 'packed' with 2 minatures and a bottle of beer and water, strange.
We even had to ask for the whiskymag copy as it wasn't standerd in there.
Now i'll get my subscription copy probably in about three weeks anyway but for the non-subscribers it missed it's goal.

Maybe you shpuld talk to the exhibitors because there were lots of promo's availible at the stands, so some did get a lot and some (novice) didn't get anything.

I'm not there to get stuff fot myself but i always try to get more people to the event and into whisky drinking/enjoying so it would be nice if those people got what it's all about.

The faces i come across every year will take care of their own ,i guess allthough i'm not surethat helps the event aswell.

Good luck with the next event and the improving of getting the magizine ontime at the faithful subscribers

The event and magizine looks like their slipping the outstanding quality because of the succes

Dennis Hendriks
Holland :wink:
Hendriks

Postby Rudy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:12 pm

Hi All,

never had a goodie bag before.

But I only go to events to meet friends from abroad, have some masterclasses and get acquainted with the people from the industry. Yeah, almost forgot, and also to taste some interesting whiskies!

So if you don't visit masterclasses, you have 12 hours to sample more than you can wish for. I even saw people sitting around wishing they tasted not as much as they actually did :wink: .

Checking out the next day, it turned out that the lady from the hotel likes whisky, enjoying Jack Daniels and the Grouse in her pub.
Then it's great to have a goodie bag: we left her a half dozen or so miniatures, so she might appreciate her first steps in the world of single malts.

But for most visitors, I guess there is not so much added value.

Cheers,

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

"Googie bag" @ whisky live in Glasgow

Postby BillHutcheson » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:32 pm

I have to agree with the sentiments. I also was a bit disapointed.

The advance publicity not only commented on the expectation of lots of goodies but also that Glasgow was to be a premier event. Given the absence of some exhibitors (as attedned in London), not quite up to the mark[quote][/quote]
BillHutcheson

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder