Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live Glasgow

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live Glasgow

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:20 pm

My friend read that there is a whisky live event in Glasgow in the autumn.

Is this really happening?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Whisky Live Glasgow

Postby Marcin Miller » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:04 pm

:D

Whisky Live Glasgow will take place on George Square on the 10th and 11th September.

More details will follow!

M
Marcin Miller

Postby Matt2 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:44 pm

Entry tickets are now onsale in the Whisky Store. More information about the tasting room and masterclasses will be coming in the next couple of weeks.
Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Tue May 11, 2004 9:23 am

Where : George Square. Glasgow. Scotland
When : Fri 10th & Sat 11th September 2004 12pm - 6pm

Whisky Live Glasgow is the whisky tasting event of the year, bringing the celebration of whisky to the heart of its production, Scotland. Held in George Square, Glasgow, Whisky Live will bring all the very best about whisky to one event, appealing to both the enthusiast and the novice alike.

With expert advice on hand and the opportunity to learn about the whisky basics, Whisky Live Glasgow is intended to provide the ultimate whisky experience. The event has two sections.

Whisky Live gives visitors the unique opportunity to sample the greatest Scotch whiskies in the world, whilst mingling with the producers and distillers, marketers and visitor centre staff, all under one roof. In addition to learning about the world of whisky, visitors have the opportunity to sample rare and sought after whiskies and meet the stars of the industry.

The Whisky Experience is the education and entertainment zone, filled with themed areas introducing the history of whisky, food demonstration, the tasting tunnel, discovering Scotland’s whisky areas, the mobile distillery experience and much, much more. With a dram always on hand the Whisky Experience seeks to educate and entertain the novice or someone who just wants to learn a little more about Scotland’s greatest export.

With live music, on site retailing and food from Scotland, Whisky Live Glasgow looks to bring the world of whisky to life for visitors from throughout Scotland, the UK and rest of the world. Many will seek to extend their visit to the show by visiting the whisky regions and exploring the distilleries within easy reach of Glasgow.

Public entry to both sections is by ticket only and projected visitor numbers are in the region of 4,000 over the two days.

http://www.whiskylive.com
Matt2

Who's going to Whisky Live in Glasgow?

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri May 14, 2004 3:13 pm

Just wondered who was going.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby susywong » Thu May 20, 2004 1:46 pm

Was just wondering why WM has decided now to hold Whisky Live in Glasgow? Are they cashing in on the success of Whisky Fringe in Edinburgh?
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu May 20, 2004 2:52 pm

Are you going to the event?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

whisky live glasgow

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Thu May 20, 2004 3:18 pm

I think you are wrong, suzywong, to suggest that Whisky Magazine is cashing in on the Whisky Fringe.

I happen to know that 3 years ago, following the successful launch of Whisky Live in London, WM was thinking of a similiar event in Scotland.

In fact. I think it is the success of WM over the past 5 years that has largely been responsible for creating the interest in whisk(e)y that has allowed other people to cash in!

Cheers

Rudolph :wink:
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby susywong » Thu May 20, 2004 3:27 pm

Surely then Rudolph, WM should work together with the existing Whisky Fringe event in Edinburgh, to increase interest in what is already an excellent forum to appreciate and enjoy whisky, rather than creating possible competition?
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu May 20, 2004 3:59 pm

Cheers Rudolph, I think you could be right :)

Susywong, it isn't just Glasgow, there are Whisky Live events happening all over the world now with more to come. Paris is on the 2 days following Glasgow, Tokyo in November. There are even talks of US, Asian and other European events.

Why Glasgow? Well Scotland is the home of whisky, it makes sense.

Do you think there should only be 1 event in Scotland ? Or should people have a choice of different events ?
Matt2

Whisky Live Glasgow

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Thu May 20, 2004 4:12 pm

And what's wrong, suzywong, with competition?

Think how many brands of whisky there would be if there was only one whisky producer.

The more events there are - providing of course they are well organised and spread throughout the year - the more whisky buffs will be able to get to and enjoy them.

If Whisky Fringe provides what people wants - and good luck to it -
it won't need to get together with Whisky Magazine or anyone else to be successful.

Cheers

Rudoplh
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu May 20, 2004 5:37 pm

Whisky Live and Whisky Fringe are a month apart and in different cities.

No clash between the two and any afficianados in the central belt can go to both.

Like me! I'm even on the pictures of last years event.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Thu May 20, 2004 6:23 pm

Got to side with Bruce here.

There's room for plenty more whisky-events. You have the regional ones in Speyside (spring and autumn) and Islay (spring) and the others like Fringe and Whisky Live. Not everybody has the time to go when the excisting ones are held.

Any event that focuses on whisky and maybe lets one or two newbies get to taste the good stuff are a welcome addition, IMHO.

Just to bad I can't make the trips over more often...
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:45 pm

Having been there and seen it, I think that Whisky Live would have done better in Glasgow if it had been Buckie Live and run by WM's sister publication, Buckfast Magazine.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby williammackinnon » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:05 am

BruceCrichton wrote:Having been there and seen it, I think that Whisky Live would have done better in Glasgow if it had been Buckie Live and run by WM's sister publication, Buckfast Magazine.

Ha ha! Your coming from Falkirk gives me the indication that thankfully you are only jesting!
williammackinnon

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:21 am

williammackinnon wrote:
BruceCrichton wrote:Having been there and seen it, I think that Whisky Live would have done better in Glasgow if it had been Buckie Live and run by WM's sister publication, Buckfast Magazine.

Ha ha! Your coming from Falkirk gives me the indication that thankfully you are only jesting!

Indeed I am. I am sure that no one in Glasgow has a Buckfast problem.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder