Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live VIP?

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live VIP?

Postby RufusA » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:12 am

I notice for WL London a new category of ticket has appeared - "VIP".

From the descriptions the difference from a standard ticket appears to be:

- 2 extra vouchers
- Access to the VIP lounge
- VIP Dining
- VIP Entertainment
- Goodies

[All] this for an extra £31!

For me the vouchers are unlikely to be needed ;-) and access to a seating area doesn't really appeal unless it also contains a cracking live band in it.

For me I'd happily pay extra if it meant a few exclusive tastings, or removal of the voucher farse, or a chance to talk to the whisky makers in a VIP area away from the elbows and slurred speach!

But if it's just a warm rather than cold food and a couple of 5cl bottles in a bag I question if it's worth the extra money?

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Re: Whisky Live VIP?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:18 am

Rufus:
When I attended WL Toronto, the VIP ticket also got me into the venue two hours before the general admission attendees. This gave me the opportunity to wander the various booths with my buddies and enjoy some one-on-one with the presenters that wasn't possible once the general admission group flooded in.

It was well worth the extra fee and I think you would appreciate it more if you pay the extra fee, if you want to get motre bang for your buck. And I'm not referring to the dramming, it's the actual interactions that were worth the price.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:28 pm

When I went to WhiskyLive Glasgow last year on a VIP ticket I did not get to go in early, I did however get:
Excellent food
The food on offer in the VIP area was outstanding, think of high class restaurants, add to that the excellent selection of real ale also available inclusive
Impromptu Tastings
In the VIP area you get to relax and chat with other VIP attendees round a table and there are also Whisky ambassadors going round the tables and doing imoromptu tastings of some of their range. If like me you go to these events for the people as much as the whisky, this is great!
Extra goodies
In the goodie bag there were miniature bottles of Big Peat and there may have been another one. There was also a WhiskyMag Tasting Journal and other bits over and above the standard bag
Free Masterclass
When we arrived the first Masterclass still had quite a few spaces left so instead of letting the Masterclass run half full they gave places to this free of charge to VIP ticket holder. You of course will not be guaranteed this but it is good to know that you do get preferential treatment over and above what is promised
Mini Masterclasses
There are organised Mini Masterclasses in the VIP area included in the VIP ticket price, I would recommend going to the VIP room first off to see what the schedule is like so you can work around it

All in all I would highly recommend it! I think that the cost of the VIP ticket at Glasgow was only £20 extra and I thought that the extra would give me more than just one Masterclass extra and I was right.

Hope this helps.

Matthew
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:24 am

Quick follow-up for this, I'd say for the London venue the extra £31 for the VIP on balance wasn't worth it.

The VIP lounge was up two flights of stairs, so was away from the main throng of the Whisky event, and consisted of a comfortable room with chairs and coffee.

Food seemed nearly identical to the non-VIP food, just served in small bowls and not on plates ;)

Extra vouchers to go with the other ones I didn't use. Including one special gold one which no-one knew what to do with, although a couple of exhibitors had some fruitily worded suggestions!

No VIP entertainment that I could see.

And (probably because of the stairs), very few exhibitors seemed willing to visit, if they did it was 10-15 minutes after schedule usually with a bottle of something freely available from their stand.

With the limited time available at the event, I don't think the hour I "wasted" in the VIP lounge was worth the money, I'd have been MUCH better off spending it on a masterclass!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby breathecosse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Glad i never bothered with it then Rufus. I had thought about it as it was our tenth visit to the London show and not sure how much longer one of our group will be able to attend.
breathecosse

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder