Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live Glasgow 2006

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live Glasgow 2006

Postby Matt2 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:23 am

Whisky Live Glasgow is Scotland’s whisky tasting event of the year, bringing the celebration of whisky to the heart of its production. Held in George Square, in the very centre of Glasgow, Whisky Live brings all the very best Scotch whisky to one event, appealing to both the enthusiast and the novice alike. With expert advice on hand and the opportunity to learn about the whisky basics, Whisky Live Glasgow is intended to provide the ultimate whisky experience. Whisky Live Glasgow has much to offer with the varied tastings available, the whisky experiences, masterclasses, live music and regular nose-off competitions.

:arrow: More information

:arrow: Book your tickets

8)
Matt2

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:30 pm

Matt - Any word yet on who'll be giving masterclasses this year?
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:12 am

Sorry, not yet. Think they will be announced at the end of July. Exhibitors seem to like to leave it till the last minute...
Matt2

Whisky Live Glass go

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:37 pm

Will they be exempt from the glass ban that's swirling around Glasgow? :D
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:40 pm

Does anyone know if there is there any recommendable but reasonably priced accommodation within walking distance of the venue, please?

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:15 pm

Friends have stayed here and found it comfy, reasonably-priced and convenient for city centre and other attractions (it's just along the road from Glasgow University and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, and about 15 mins walk from the WL venue).

http://www.sandyfordhotelglasgow.com/
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:13 am

Thanks Iain,
I will be looking to see if I can get there for Whisky Live and will consider this hotel if I do, it looks just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:36 am

Flights booked, entry tickets too.

Now I just need to sort out accommodation then I'll be all ready.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:36 pm

Hi Folks -
Crieftan's back in the land of whisky after a few weeks of gardening.
Anyone else as well as MT going to Glasgow this year? Malt-teaser - did you get accommodation?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:31 pm

Yes, I trawled the web but found nothing that looked better than the previously recommended Sandyford.

They didn't have any single rooms left, so I have a nice spacious double room just for me, at a reasonable price too!

I do hope others from the forum are going and I would love to meet up with anyone!!!

The best rates for flights was for me to return on Monday 11th, so I even have a full day free in Glasgow (or the area) on Sunday 10th if anyone has any free time????

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:34 pm

I'm also booked on two masterclasses:

Highland Park on Friday afternoon and Fab at forty on saturday.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:10 pm

It looks like it will be a good couple of days. I notice that the masterclass tickets name the venue as the Millenium Hotel. Much better idea. We should be able to hear the presenters this year!
I'm going to those two mastercalsses as well. I've also plumped for the Walk in the Woods. DB is always good value.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:06 pm

Crieftan,
I do hope we can meet at some point and perhaps have a dram together.
I was looking at the "Woods" one too, maybe if there are tickets available at the event I could be tempted.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:00 pm

I'm going to the Highland Park masterclass as well.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:28 pm

Excellent, can we all arrange to meet up, even if only to say "Hello"?
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:55 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Excellent, can we all arrange to meet up, even if only to say "Hello"?

Why not?

I'm going to stop about 5pm, for something to eat.

Probably in the bar that was unique, by being smoke-free, two years ago.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:55 am

Sound like a plan to me. It would be good to put faces to names.
Anyone else going?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:02 am

Bruce,
is that 5pm Friday or Saturday?

According to the info on here, the HP Masterclass begins at 6:45 on Friday evening and I need to be in there, did you say you will be in that too?
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:04 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Bruce,
is that 5pm Friday or Saturday?

According to the info on here, the HP Masterclass begins at 6:45 on Friday evening and I need to be in there, did you say you will be in that too?

That's Friday. I was planning on popping out, having a meal and something non-alcoholic to wash it down before coming back for the masterclass.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:05 am

Excellent.
That would work for me too.
Deactivated Member

Really looking forward to my 1st Whisky Live...

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:09 pm

Have tickets for both days plus will be attending the following Masterclasses with my colleague: -

Glen Grant
Highland Park
Fab at Forty
The Benefits of Wood
Behind the Iconic Malt

Hope to really increase my knowledge of malts and use it to benefit the customers and staff of the bar I work at.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:12 pm

Oiler,
come and meet up whilst you're there.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:26 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Oiler,
come and meet up whilst you're there.

MT

Will do. Looking forward to meeting my fellow malt afficienados from around the globe
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Can we agree a specific time and place (or corner of Whisky Live) to meet.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:08 pm

I shouldn't be too hard to find.

My picture, and reports, are at this site:

http://www.dufftown.co.uk
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:36 am

I'll not be too hard to spot either. I'm the big lad on the right of this photo.
http://www.whiskylive.com/gfx/scotland/2005/photos/masterclass/masterclass2.jpg

See you all there :D
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:36 pm

I will be going both days - attending the Pulteney and Glen Grant masterclasses and spending the rest of the time idling. My mobile number is xxxxx xxxxxx if anyone fancies saying hello.
Last edited by Deactivated Member on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:09 pm

I'm just about to start packing my bag as my journey starts early in the morning.

As of Thursday evening (until Monday morning) I'll be at The Sandyford Hotel on Sauchiehall Street.
I will certainly be saying "Hello" to as many people from here as I can.

Thanks for the number Nick.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:32 pm

What did you all think?

What drams were your particular highlights?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:35 pm

I have literally just arrived home and will post more later, but the "Fab Forty" tasting with the four "yet to be bottled and released" superstars was real highlight.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:38 pm

Yes, this Masterclass was a real highlight as it included four drams which will be bottled over the next few months:

Whyte & Mackay 30 years old Blended (51%)
Isle of Jura 33 years old (52%)
Whyte & Mackay 40 years old Blended (48%)
Dalmore 40 years old (40%)

That Dalmore 40 y/o was a giant!
It was still coming back to hit me about 6 hours later and it was at this time when I realised exactly what presence it has, which I say most definitely not in a bad way. However, at the time of tasting, my immediate favourite was probably the 40 y/o blended.

Or was it the 33 y/o Jura which was smoother than anything I have ever tried before, which includes anything you care to mention wrapped in velvet!
Or there again could my favourite have been the Dalmore 40 y/o?

Oh honestly, how can anyone name a favourite out of these unique masterpieces?
It's just a shame that my wallet won't allow me a repeat tasting of each by buying the four bottles. The estimated prices of these giants are said to be in the region of 450-500 GBP for the cheapest, through to somewhere around 1200 GBP for the dearest, if my fuzzy memory serves me correctly.

That Masterclass was 13 GBP well spent!
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:17 pm

It was a great couple of days. If I had to choose a highlight it would be Richard Paterson's masterclass. Even ifthere had been nothing to taste, just to listen to this guy is worth the fee. The Whisky, as MT has mentioned was out standing - just outstanding and the aromas of the 40yo Dalmore stayed with me until I woke up the next day.

There were a couple of things that were better last year, but they still haven't got teh materclass venue right. There was too much faffing about getting to the hotel, and if you were in the last masterclass of the day, by the time it had finished there was no time to finish off going round the stalls. The 15 min no pouring rule at the end was a nonsense, though I suspect Glasgow Council were to blame for that. Time to move the event to Perth :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:47 pm

Highlights?

Rather a few.

Glenfiddich 12 'Toasted Oats' was a great, and sweet, way to kick off the day. Provenance and Connoisseur's choice Blair Athol back to back was a delicious comparison of sherry and bourbon casks.

Benriach 16 is wonderfully soft and bears little resemblance to its 12 year old expression. Fascinating.

Scott's selection 1977 Pulteney (55.9%) is wonderfully sweet.

The HP masterclass was entertaining and informative but my tastebuds were a little too fried to fully appreciate the difference.

Glad I got a miniature of HP 25 in my goody bag.

Anyone try Ballantruan for the first time at Whisky Live?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:59 pm

There were many highlights - although I would say the two masterclasses were special as they gave an opportunity to try products that aren't on general sale. At the Glen Grant one, I felt very decadent hoovering up the unclaimed drams of 46yo - and the Pulteney class gave a great opportunity to tray their full range, but at cask strength! The new make and 30yo were added bonuses! I especially liked their approach of following whisky over the past 150 years rather than dramming in order of age.

Of the general drams, the Bunnahhabhain 25yo was stellar. It was nice to try the Whisky Shop Glen Mhor again, and I wish I'd not had such a jaded palate when I tried the DL Ardbeg with a rum finish. The Loch Ewe sma' still new make was an experience, but perhaps I wish they hadn't poured such a generous measure! I had never tried Glen Rothes before - and the 3 different drams I had (1994, 1991 and 1985) presented a profile of a superb distillery that would be well worth getting to know better. The Speyburn 25yo was a very pleasant surprise, too.

Another highlight was the opportunity to meet others - particularly those from the distilleries who knew about their products and processes. And yer man Jimmy with the bald heid and pony tail who plays real life dungeons and dragons. I'll not forget him in a hurry.
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:10 pm

I saw a report of the event in which Richard Paterson said "Having been married for over 30 years I know the secrets of making a marriage work and I apply these same principles to making whisky."

I thought the secret to making a marriage work was to shut up and do as you're told. Is that all it takes to make Whyte & Mackay? :wink:
Iain
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder