Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live Toronto

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live Toronto

Postby MGillespie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:09 pm

I'll be taking WhiskyCast on the road to Toronto that weekend! Anyone else planning on being there?

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:57 pm

Still thinking...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:46 am

Come on, Frodo...you know you want to... ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:24 am

Frodo, how can you not?

Mark, can we look forward to interviews with all of the forum luminaries?
"Our distinguished panel of experts..."
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:03 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Frodo, how can you not?"

Well, I can understand Frodo's hesitation. It is an expensive night and until the Masterclasses have been announced, I can relate to his non commitment.

I have personally, and with all due respect, have committed myself to attending the Spirit of Toronto festival which is scheduled on October 21st. But, in saying that, I am toying with the idea of attending both events. One of my concerns is that with little info coming out on the Spirit of Toronto, I am wondering if it is still going to be held. I hope my concerns will soon be laid to rest. I think that there is room in Toronto for two whisky events (healthy competition, greater consumer choice etc is a good thing). But, in saying that with the events being scheduled one week apart is least preferable to me. The SoT has for the past two years held their event at the end of October beginning of November. This year was going to be no exception.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:50 pm

I think I am going to try and go this year. I have a friend who lives in Buffalo so that is an easy drive from there.

Scott
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:01 pm

Hi Mark/Tattieheid:

Yes I do admit wanting to go...

The thing is, it's $95 to get in, with more for masterclass tickets and sample cupons. It all adds up. For me, the value of the show is the masterclasses, as I've tried most of what the LCBO has to offer in terms of general list items.

I guess I'm thinking of "what else could I get for $120+"? Highland Park 18 perhaps? Yes, meeting forum members is a "pull" for me, but given that I work in social services, I don't have tons of disposable imcome lying around - thus my tightwad reputation. I could afford it at the expence of something else, my question is - is it really worth it?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Admission: $95

Masterclasses: $??

A chance to meet Diz? Priceless. But I suppose you can arrange to meet somewhere after.

Virginia Gentleman wrote:I think I am going to try and go this year. I have a friend who lives in Buffalo so that is an easy drive from there.

:shock: Two hours on the GDQEW hardly qualifies as easy! Suggest you take care what time of day you do it. Try to avoid any time between 6am and midnight!
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:39 am

Very funny, T...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:51 pm

The back ground clutter is that the SOT will be cancelled (I hope this is not the case) but the suppliers only have budget to support one event; the one conneted with their biggest custmer will most likely win.

Even though I was planning to attend one or the other I don't think I can make to either.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:23 am

Lawrence wrote:The back ground clutter is that the SOT will be cancelled (I hope this is not the case) but the suppliers only have budget to support one event; the one conneted with their biggest custmer will most likely win.

Even though I was planning to attend one or the other I don't think I can make to either.

Hi Lawrence!
Welcome back. I am sorry to hear about your eye misadventure while in Scotland. But, I couldn't help (good heartedly) but too shake my head and roll my eyes at you at the same time! When in Toronto if you ever ride the streetcars, don't ever stick your arm out the window however tempting that may be! :D

I read your comments and on both notes am sorry to hear that you have also heard some grumbling about the SoT being cancelled and that you won't be attending the festival(s). Roy Thomson Hall does not have the SoT billed on October 21st . It seems that a dance performance has booked the hall for that evening. I keep hoping it is an error and I certainly don't want to spread gossip or rumours. But, I would think it would be listed as an upcoming event by now. Lets stay tuned and hope for the best.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:30 am

Maybe they will reschedule for spring. That would resolve the entire mess. Wendy, can you not contact the person in charge of SoT and get the straight poop?
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:37 am

Hi Bruce:
I have tried, but I haven't yet received a response. I am sure she has been flooded with the same questions and concerns by well wishers and will answer in good time either through a general public announcement or personal response. Better yet, a notice for Festival Registration would do the trick to set us straight!

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:50 am

I've noticed that the SoT website has not been updated in some time, and my e-mails in the past have not been answered. To be honest, that played a role in my decision on which weekend to visit Toronto. I didn't want to commit to that weekend and then have the event cancelled or postponed.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:25 pm

I've been looking at the costs of flights for Carollyne and I to WL and it's a bit high but that's the cost of flying in Canada.

Has anybody noticed the small list of presenters on the WL website?

I suspect that we'll be going to Willow Parks' Whisky in the Warehouse in Calgary this November instead.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:34 pm

I too have been holding off. It looks like SOT is done so the choice, at least, is a little easier. It sounds like some people will be going so I may go regardless of the whisky (how's that for an attitude!). Overall, it looks like the same cast of characters that have been there previous years and per usual they will likely be slinging what's available at the LCBO rather than torturing us with stuff we can't buy.

Chris, the masterclass tickets will go on sale on September 14th so the picture might be clearer by then. $25 a class, ouch! Actually, the standard ticket is _only_ $75 though for an extra $20 the extra hour might be worth it (plus you can call yourself a VIP, yippee ;) ). As you say, for a peasant ticket, five drink tickets (three are included with entry now, two extra at $2.50 each) and two masterclass tickets it costs $130 which could be spent elsewhere. Oh and whiskies over 21yo are suggested to cost 3 drink vouchers so those 3 included vouchers may get you one drink only!!! Perhaps some exhibitors will be 'sloppy' and won't bother collecting tickets, who knows...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:06 am

Hello,
I know it is a little ways off, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to suggest another post WL venue that is literally in walking distance from the CNE or a very inexpensive taxi ride door to door. The venue can be checked out at: http://www.sphericalarts.com/

Regards,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:52 am

Looks great Wendy!

For me, the crucial issue for WL is the lack of value exposed by Harry. Not sure if I'm going, but I really hope SOT reschedules in July/August. It was a fantastic value, great venue, nice freebies, free - and great - masterclasses. Just a fantastic event worth every $$ paid.

I think at this stage, I'll be contemplating Vancouver's next whisky show unless the master classes in WL bowl me over...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:08 pm

Frodo wrote:Looks great Wendy!

For me, the crucial issue for WL is the lack of value exposed by Harry. Not sure if I'm going, but I really hope SOT reschedules in July/August. It was a fantastic value, great venue, nice freebies, free - and great - masterclasses. Just a fantastic event worth every $$ paid.

I think at this stage, I'll be contemplating Vancouver's next whisky show unless the master classes in WL bowl me over...

I hope you mean Victoria...... :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:54 pm

Wups! Sorry about that. What I get for posting at midnight after a difficult shift and a couple of beers...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:01 pm

Perhaps someone that has attended other WL's could help me out.

I was wondering what are the benefits of attending the VIP section which offers an extra hour for an extra $20 ticket fee VS the standard ticket minus the extra hour and VIP status. Does the VIP portion offer a less crowded pre peek to the event and/or an opportunity to sample special whiskies that are not going to be offered later on. I guess I would like to know what I am getting for that additional fee...because I am thinking that the extra $20 could go towards a masterclass instead.

As a general comment, I wish I already knew what Masterclasses were being offered. With today being September 9th and ticket sales beginning on September 14th, half of the fun is wondering ahead of time which classes are the most appealing and talking it over with friends!!

I am hoping that before the end of the weekend, we will have more info thrown into the Toronto Whisky Live ring to chatter about.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi Wendy, I think you've hit it on the head, an extra hour in less crowded circumstances, something I always appreciate and is similar to the Media Event we hosted just prior to the Comsumer Tasting at the VWF in January.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:52 pm

I couldn't agree with you more, Lawrence. The media tasting was a real highlight for me last year. It made the consumer tasting (which was excellent) seem positively uncivilized.

Cheers
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:56 pm

That's exactly it...the extra hour gives one a chance to actually talk with the distillery folks without having 50 people interrupting with their dram vouchers.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:42 am

OK...the master class list is out.
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:52 am

Hi Mark,

Indeed, it is now decision making time. Gentlemen, I would welcome any suggestions. I would like to attend two masterclasses, but not too sure which two I should choose.

Wendy :shock:
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:06 am

OF the Classes that would interest me it would be ..

5.30pm Liberating Taste with Rare Malts
Discover rare malts and liberate your taste as Scotch whisky Ambassador Evan Cattenach leads you on a tasting experience of Banff 21 Year Old, Rosebank 22 Year Old and Inchgower 27 Year Old, accompanied with food pairings.

6.45pm The Art of Oak
Join Ian Millar, direct from the Distillery as he explores the William Grant & Sons art of cask finishes with an interesting assortment of whiskies, including one whisky inspired by beer. The Masterclass will include a nosing of the Balvenie 30 Year Old.

8.00pm The Macallan & Highland Park
Two whisky heavy weights; Macallan takes on Highland Park, taking consumers into the world of two exceptional whisky brands.

MJ will be around flogging his book so you might be able to get a free chat with him :wink:

And also seems to be a Distillers Debate...

Oh I'm really Jealous now..
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:23 pm

Mr Picky notes that "Canada has been a home to whisky distillation for over 200 hundred years". That's a long time.

If I were going, I think I'd pick Jackson and Rare Malts as having something of interest worth paying for--in the latter case, food pairings, and in the former, MJ himself. Some of the masterclasses at events like this strike me as being nothing more than blatant adverts, and it galls me to think of paying for the privilege of sitting through such. There has to be something more edifying on offer than simply flogging product.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:23 pm

Thank you Adrian and Mr. TH:
I think the bottom line is that I don't think there is a wrong choice to be made as there is always something interesting to learn or experience at a festival of this sort. Plus, the opportunity to wade in the sea of other whisky enthusiasts should be quite fun.

For the record, I recently joined the ranks of WL VIP (all for the price of an extra WL hour). I registered for the WL event and two masterclasses. The Michael Jackson, The Whisky World of Michael Jackson, and The Art of Oak with Ian Millar. The From Tennessee whiskey to classic Kentucky bourbon also looks interesting...I could try to squeeze it in between the two other classes. There is still time to make that decision.

Now back to the VIP thing....mmm, where did I put that Hope Diamond?

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:48 pm

Wendy wrote:Now back to the VIP thing....mmm, where did I put that Hope Diamond?

I believe Mr Smithson is still holding it for you in DC.

I don't think you should be holding out much Hope yourself!
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:26 pm

I would much rather hold out hope to oneday sample the "Hope Diamond" of whiskies, MR. TH.

W
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:51 pm

Now there's a girl who has her priorities straight! 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:59 am

OK...now that we've given Wendy two weeks to double-check her priorities...who will be there tomorrow? I know I will...as long as airline security and Canadian Customs allow me through...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:20 am

I envy you, Mark...I'm in magical Orkney, but you get to meet the delightful Wendy! I'm looking forward to her interview on Whiskycast! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:58 pm

Unfortunately I cannot make it this year. Drink a few for me ;) I look forward to the reports.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder