Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live London 2007 - Who's going?

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Re: Plan of attack?

Postby RufusA » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Steve Rush wrote:Last year I felt that there where a few stands run more from a PR persepctive than a knowledge and passion perspective. At the end of the day I know PR is what these guys are here to do but just hoping this year the stands are more passion powered.

I think I know which stands you mean. Last year I remember speaking to one of the PR girls on one of the stand and she confessed to me she'd never even tried any of the products belonging to the company she was promoting. I strongly suspect he presence was chosen on height, hair colour and figure rather than whisky knowledge!

Sadly as WL gets bigger, some brands will feel the need / have the budget to try and attract people to their stand with PR rather than whisky knowledge and passion.

For me having a Distillery manager, a simple stand (with space to talk / drink) and a few special bottles drawn from the top of casks in their store-room is worth 100 of the PR stands.

Did get a nice free cap though!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:24 pm

Who are you most hoping to meet / talk to.

Last year I had long chats with Tom Aitkin (Dewers), Richard Paterson (W&M, Dalmore) and a guy on the Classic Malt stand who told me all about the planned expansion of their range, which has since happened. I hope to meet similar people this year, plus some of you lot!!

What are you most looking forward to taste

Fish and chips from the chippy around the corner! I think the street is called Strutton Ground.

And what are you going to actively avoid?

American and Japanese whiskies!
Last edited by Paul A Jellis on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby ikendal » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:27 pm

I'll be there, from 3.00pm with two others. I'll be the one in the corner sulkiing about the vouchers!

Also booked in for the Highland park master class.

Does any one know of a good food place to fill my stomach beofre hte abuse sets in? Do not fancy Fish and chips. had investigated ALBANNACH but at £22.00 for a main course felt it was out of my league some what. any suggestions of where I can go to line the stomach?

What am I loooking for, anything that I have not tried, something new to tickle the taste buds.

Compass box seems to be a must. and a flitter around D&L is on the cards
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby RufusA » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:04 am

ikendal wrote:Does any one know of a good food place to fill my stomach beofre hte abuse sets in? Do not fancy Fish and chips. had investigated ALBANNACH but at £22.00 for a main course felt it was out of my league some what. any suggestions of where I can go to line the stomach?

um - No!

I tend to either have Fish & Chips (it is a Lent Friday so both fasting and abstinence are in order - ooopps), or make freely with the Pizza Hut lunchtime "all you can eat" buffet round the corner in Victoria Street to stock up on carbs.

With this years new "food voucher" we will of course be fed to ample sufficiency and want for nothing :roll:

Around Victoria there are plenty of pubs that serve food, but having drunk / eaten in a number of them I can recommend none. The Wetherspoons oppisite the station is as good as any, and food is better value than most (but you do lose the poncy side salad dressings, bleached floor boards and bottled Czech fizzy beers in the process).

If you are willing to go further afield there are plenty of places that will cater for the most diverse of palates, at a variety of costs from expensive, to eye watering! "The Bleeding Heart" next to the SMWS in Greville Street serves good food (though have only eaten it in the SMWS rooms), but I suspect the prices may be distinctly London. You will probably have better luck hitting a copy of Time Out London, or one of the online review sites to get the real gen!

HTH - Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

The Japanese are coming

Postby Steve Rush » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:58 pm

I have to say I'm very pleased to see that there is a big Japanese contingent at this years WL London which kicks off tomorrow.

There are some absolute blinding Japanese malts and great to see that Suntory, Nikka and the Number One Drinks Company are going to be there.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Well, here I am, nobody else logged in ........ is everyone at WL?
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:34 pm

I will not be attending
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:03 pm

I was at work today but I'll be at WL tomorrow :)

No idea whether I will meet any forum members, we didn't think about arranging anything :roll:
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder