Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky live Glasgow 2007

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky live Glasgow 2007

Postby fishboy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:13 pm

Can anyone tell me why the dates for WL Glasgow this year have moved from the traditional second weekend in September to the first weekend in November?

Cheers

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:52 pm

Yes, we are moving it to a new venue and some other exciting changes are happening. Full details will be announced next week sometime once it is all confirmed.
Matt2

Postby fishboy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:57 pm

Thanks Matt.

That sounds great. Hopefully the new venue will be indoors - A marquee in Glasgow in November could be cold!

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:06 pm

thats good. as for the last few years ive always been away on holiday when its been on, so hopefully this year i wont be ;)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi Matt,
Any news yet about dates for Whisky Live Glasgow?
Cheers
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:54 am

Hi Matt,

Any news on the Glasgow event yet? I realise you are all probably really busy with WL london, but some details would be good as i need to protect the dates in my diary.
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:16 pm

Maybe I'll get out there this year too! Look forward to the details...
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:07 pm

As long as it's not being held in the SSEC!
Deactivated Member

Postby GreyArea » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:44 pm

Do we have official dates/venue information for this yet? I'd quite like to book a hotel.

Thanks.

Jim.
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby Steve Rush » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:37 pm

Well judging by the dates that some of the exhibitors are pre advertising such as Whisky Shack, it will be the 2nd & 3rd of November.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:32 am

I'm sure I was told that Glasgow Whisky Live was being held at the same time as the BBC Good Food Show which is scheduled to take place at the SECC, Glasgow from 2-4 November.

I maybe wrong.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:36 am

BBC Good food show is normally at the NEC birmingham around that time of year unless there is a scottish version as well.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:03 am

There is this year, for the first time I think. I'm sure I was told this last Saturday, the guy who told me thought it would attract more people to Whisky Live. I wish I could remember more . . .
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:07 am

This is what I can tell you at the moment.....

Whisky Live Glasgow 2007
2nd - 3rd November
SECC Glasgow

And we will be doing some joint offers with the BBC Good Food Show Scotland.

More info coming in the next couple of weeks...
Matt2

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:11 pm

Pheeww! I was begining to think I'd imagined it. Thanks Matt
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Steve Rush » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:09 pm

Hoping to tie in this years Whisky Live Glasgow into a bit of a Whisky road trip as it were. The plan at the moment is to be at the first day of Whisky Live Glasgow then spend a week in and around the delightfull Inverness. Hope to get in as many highland and indeed speyside distillery visits under the belt.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:20 am

Matt Page wrote:This is what I can tell you at the moment.....

Whisky Live Glasgow 2007
2nd - 3rd November
SECC Glasgow

And we will be doing some joint offers with the BBC Good Food Show Scotland.

More info coming in the next couple of weeks...

Alas :cry: It is a horrible place - an overheated, overcrowded cattle market situated in a grotesque part of the town.

Yeah OK, I will probably go, but at the moment I'm not feeling my usual surge of excitement and to be honest, I want to go to a Whisky festival - not a joint venture with gambling (as dangerous an addiction as smoking, drugs and alcohol) or food. It strikes me that Whisky Live has lost its confidence in whisky as a crowd puller in the UK.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:29 pm

I'm hoping to get up this year. Still not done a WL as they have always fallen on weekends when I have family or work commitments. I'll make damn sure I keep this weekend free (and may need to book the week after off work too...)
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Please keep the whisky and food apart as there's nothing more frustrating than trying to nose a rare whisky in a room full of cooking aroma.
Deactivated Member

Postby williammackinnon » Thu May 17, 2007 2:25 am

:cry:

My wife & I went to the first two Whisky Lives in Glasow, 2004 & 2005.

Missed last year & will miss this one (probably) due to the very temporary problem of being in Australia.

It's a real shame that the SECC is the only place available to best suit the needs of the organisers, because I for one don't see myself getting motivated in the future to attend it if it remains at the SECC.

Not "moral principles" or anything as strong as that, it's just that the SECC is crap.
williammackinnon

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon May 28, 2007 11:42 am

I quite fancy this year's one.

The only question I have is how much for vouchers?

I see you get 5 as standard.

I also like the idea of being able to buy stuff when you are there. More trouble for my wallet. :empty:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Mon May 28, 2007 7:05 pm

williammackinnon wrote::cry:

Not "moral principles" or anything as strong as that, it's just that the SECC is crap.

Not the most intimate venue, that's for sure!

Will there be a mini bus or other dedicated transport service to ferry folks back and forth from the city centre?

And a life guard service, for those that take a wrong on leaving the building? :lol:
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 29, 2007 9:28 am

The SECC is the only place in the UK that I've had to bribe a taximan to pick me up. It cost me a tenner bribe and ten pounds on top for the fare to Queen Street Station!
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Tue May 29, 2007 9:56 am

I thought there was a regular bus service, but I can't find any details on the First Bus website. Except for special buses laid on for Deep Purple (!) etc concerts. There must be a service bus - it just doesn't come up when you search for secc? :?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 29, 2007 10:11 am

Something is going right over my head here with regards to the SECC.

I'm not attending this event, but can someone tell those of us not in the know, just what are all the problems with this venue?
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Tue May 29, 2007 11:42 am

I don't know what the fuss is about - the SECC is a purpose built venue.

Transport is best via train from central Glasgow:

http://www.secc.co.uk/infok/gethere/within/

By Train

Exhibition Centre station is SECC's own dedicated railway station allowing easy access from the city centre and the suburbs. Six trains an hour from Central Station (Platform 15) will bring you to our front door in under 10 minutes.

Call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 for timetable and price details.

Certainly more accessible than some whisky events such as Islay/Speyside!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 29, 2007 12:55 pm

SECC is a very big conference venue. It has some enormous rooms with painted breeze block walls. As such, it has no charm, but serves a purpose. It is located next to the River Clyde in an area that is quite run down but has obviously had some money for regeneration. It is not very accessible from the city centre, despite what it says on the website. There are apparently buses and "low level" trains, but these are not the easiest things to fathom when you are a starnger in town - especially a stranger with a few drinks in them. Taxis don't run past the place and only black taxis will pick you up - if you can find one. And the staff at the centre are rude and unhelpful. I remember being denied access to part of the building I had hired - despite having paid £20,000 for the venue, the security man told me to F off; he had been told not to let anyone into that hall.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 30, 2007 1:56 am

Oh Dear,
that does sound like a rather problematic venue.

Thanks for the replies,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 30, 2007 2:19 am

Nick Brown wrote: I remember being denied access to part of the building I had hired - despite having paid £20,000 for the venue, the security man told me to F off; he had been told not to let anyone into that hall.

Perhaps he was a Bruichladdich share holder?

:wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby martin grant » Wed May 30, 2007 10:32 am

I've been to a wine tasting event in the past hosted at the SECC. While not the best event, it was pretty fine.

Last year Whisky Live was, for me, just to busy at times. Perhaps what's needed is a bit more space.

As for getting back into Glasgow, I'm tempted to save up my pocket money and stay over at The City Inn hotel, which is right next door to the exhibition centre. Apparently they have a great whisky bar there.

If after attending the event, we're not impressed we can grumble then. Surely we can't complain about it yet!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Wed May 30, 2007 10:53 am

I'm keeping an open mind at the moment. I'll be staying with a whisky pal in Hamilton who assures me that travel to the venue is easy.

I agree with Martin that the George Square venue was pretty crowded at time last year, especially during the afternoon when the attendees on half-day tickets were admitted.

I've already booked my ticket and I'm anticipating a great day with some great drams.
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 30, 2007 4:55 pm

fishboy wrote:I'm keeping an open mind at the moment.

You and Martin are quite right. We shouldn't judge until after the event. If it gives us more room to move around, then all to the good.

However, it is a dump that I'd prefer to avoid going to if given a choice. Surely there are better venues in to showcase whisky in Scotland. What about Perthshire? :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 30, 2007 5:00 pm

I think George Square had the one advantage of being visible to passing trade - even if they didn't come in. That said, the venues for the masterclasses were quite cramped, and we were lucky with the weather. I'll still go to the SECC if I'm able, and hopefully it will be a great occasion for all. But people did ask about the "knowing looks" that some of us were giving, so I thought I would explain.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 30, 2007 5:43 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I think George Square had the one advantage of being visible to passing trade - even if they didn't come in.

Agreed
Nick Brown wrote: That said, the venues for the masterclasses were quite cramped, and we were lucky with the weather.

Agreed - I got a crick in my neck trying to see the presenters!
Nick Brown wrote: I'll still go to the SECC if I'm able, and hopefully it will be a great occasion for all.

Likewise and I fully agree!
Nick Brown wrote:But people did ask about the "knowing looks" that some of us were giving, so I thought I would explain.

Yup - it is still a dump :lol:

There seem to be a few "local" boys from the forums goint down. We should meet [and, of course, with any other welcome visitors making the trip] for a couple of choice drams before we run out of tokens :roll: We can discuss nearer the time :thumbsup:
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed May 30, 2007 7:51 pm

martin grant wrote:As for getting back into Glasgow, I'm tempted to save up my pocket money and stay over at The City Inn hotel, which is right next door to the exhibition centre. Apparently they have a great whisky bar there.

You'll be needing a dram after Whisky Live. :roll: :dead:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder