Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky live Glasgow 2007

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Re: Whisky live Glasgow 2007

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:25 pm

It was great day out. I can see why people go for two days.

I counted it up and discovered that I had taken a masterclass and visited only 10 stalls. Loads of drams though.

Used 2 vouchers to get a Glengoyne 21.

Gordon and Macphails 1998 Arran is marvellously sweet 8)
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:11 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed Whisky live :) I went straight to the early Highland Park masterclass and it was brilliant. Gerry Tosh was very interesting and knowledgeable. An excellent class and wonderful drams too!

We came out of the HP class wanting more, and signed up for AnCnoc. I've enjoyed AnCnoc before and recommended it to customers wanting to try their first whisky. Unfortunately the first sample was the raw spirit and it tasted of meat - well, offal tbh. The presentation was terrible too, and the cocktail demonstration was an awful experience. :evil: I will never drink AnCnoc again.

Apart from that, I tasted some wonderful whiskies that I wouldn't have tried otherwise. The stands were really interesting - I didn't get round all the ones I wanted because the day flew by as some of the people were just so absorbing whilst they enthused about the products.

The free bottle of HP18, and the fabulous masterclass has instilled a brand loyalty in me towards Highland Park that will be unshakable!

My first Whisky Live and definitely not the last. :) I loved it, and it was a great experience.

:thumbsup:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:00 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed Whisky live :)

We came out of the HP class wanting more, and signed up for AnCnoc. I've enjoyed AnCnoc before and recommended it to customers wanting to try their first whisky. Unfortunately the first sample was the raw spirit and it tasted of meat - well, offal tbh. The presentation was terrible too, and the cocktail demonstration was an awful experience. :evil: I will never drink AnCnoc again.

The An Cnoc session had 2 great whiskies: the 12 and the 16. The cocktail idea could have worked if we had been allowed to taste it properly instead of a 1 mg sip of it.

The clearic was rather fruity.

There was an unclaimed set of drams between my friend and I, so we grabbed them. 8)

Will check out the 16 when it is bottled and grab the 12 the next time I am in speyside.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:42 am

TS - glad you enjoyed it and especially the HP masterclass. The 'amnesty' to pick up an 18yo was a very clever marketing ploy, as well as a fantastic deal, and helps to give everyone (even myself and I wasn't there!) an increased affinity towards HP.

Did Gerry do his usual food combination trick during the class?
Leither
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the AnCnoc class, Bruce. I really wish that I had, but I went away with nothing positive from it :( The sad thing is, I used to like AnCnoc.

The brand manager seemed to be trying to promote AnCnoc as hip and cool and down with da kids. She reminded me of Ben Elton in the Young Ones sketch of Nozin' Around, the alternative to "yoof tv", who missed the mark just by trying so hard. We had willingly paid to be at the class - there was no need to reiterate that AnCnoc is trying to attract different customers to the ones sat in the room!

And about half the places set with filled glasses didn't have placemats, so I had a fairly drunk bloke leaning over me, moving my glasses so he could see what each sample was.

Yes, Bruce - we should have each had a sample of the cocktail. They said the syrup was expensive and not easy to get (unlikely we're going to replicate the drink then) so perhaps that's why they were so frugal with it. They passed one drink around, but much as I like whisky drinkers, I'm not going to share spit with them.

But it's good to hear another point of view about it :)

Leither wrote:
Did Gerry do his usual food combination trick during the class?

Leither, overall it was even better than I expected, and I had quite high expectations before I got there :D He didn't do the food combo, so you can tell us now without spoiling the surprise - what was it last year?!
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:01 pm

Is it the brand manager from AnCnoc, or Ben Elton?

Sorry - I promise not to be mean about AnCnoc any more or derail this thread again :oops:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Nice one TS! :lol:

The previous HP class I attended involved a scoop of dairy ice-cream (say Mackies or similar) immediately washed down with a good mouthful of HP18 - needs to be in quick succession for full effect. Wonderful!

So all you lucky ones with an 'amnesty HP18' can try this now! :mrgreen:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:43 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed the AnCnoc class, Bruce. I really wish that I had, but I went away with nothing positive from it :( The sad thing is, I used to like AnCnoc.

!

The forthcoming An Cnoc 16, at 46%abv, is something to look forward to and the 12 is still great.

Missed the bit about the syrup being expensive but then that just makes the idea pointless. What was the point of offering cocktails to those who already do drink whisky? :?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 pm

Maybe this developing An Cnoc discussion needs its own thread?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby toshie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 pm

I also enjoyed WL although I was only there for a short spell on Friday. Did anyone else get a wee nip at the new HP 21? It's duty free at Glasgow Airport for £60, and (I'm sticking my neck out here) I rate it higher than the 18 (slips on flak jacket and tin helmet) :wink:
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 pm

As I rate the HP25 much higher than the 18, I am not surprised that you find the 21 better too.
HP seems to improve with age up to around the 25y mark. I think the 30y is not as good as the 25.

Having said this, the 18y is very good, but the 25y is just better.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:29 pm

Guess the Dram

For all of you who took part in the Guess the Dram competition on the Whisky Magazine stand, the answer was....

Balblair 1989

Top marks go to Kenneth Graham from Crieff who guessed Balblair 1997

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby les taylor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Matt, Kenneth was 8 years out. That's not even close. :wink:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leither » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:39 pm

Well done Crieftan, I think he's perhaps over on the dark side now with the other insurgents :|
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Congrats Crieffy - a top bloke who clearly knows his whiskies.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:30 pm

I can't wait for this year's event already as I've never been and will be definitely making this one.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:01 am

Nick Brown wrote:Congrats Crieffy - a top bloke who clearly knows his whiskies.

Cheers Nick - though I'm still waiting for a prize!!
Deactivated Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder