Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky live Glasgow 2007

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Postby martin grant » Thu May 31, 2007 8:15 am

BruceCrichton wrote:You'll be needing a dram after Whisky Live. :roll: :dead:

Fair point Bruce!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:06 pm

Will there be a price list available, like there is at the whisky fringe?

It would be interesting to know what the whiskies I'm drinking cost.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:37 pm

martin grant wrote:As for getting back into Glasgow, I'm tempted to save up my pocket money and stay over at The City Inn hotel, which is right next door to the exhibition centre. Apparently they have a great whisky bar there.

The City Inn only stocks a few different drams I'm afraid. There are however a few great bars on Argyle street just round the corner. One of these is The Park Bar 1202 Argyle Street, good pints and lots of Whisky.

I'm working at W.Live but will be popping in there afterwards :dead:
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby Iain » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:07 pm

Don't forget the Snaffle Bit on the next corner!

(Colin and Flora sold it to Belhaven earlier this summer, but I'm sure they won't dare change it much).
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:46 pm

WhiskyBrat wrote:

I'm working at W.Live but will be popping in there afterwards :dead:

Who are you working with?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:56 am

Also, the Ben Nevis is well worth a visit (and it's on the way to the Park and the Snaffle!).

http://www.geocities.com/bennevisbar/
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:45 am

Good call Iain!

Popped into the Ben Nevis for the first time a few weeks ago and was very impressed with their range.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Well that's Whisky Fringe all over for another year. Next big event to look forward to will be Whisky Live and I'll be heading west to join in the fun. Anyone else coming along?
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:04 pm

I'll be there Martin. And will also book a couple of masterclasses when the details are released. I'm quite looking forward to it, but I do have some reservations. Apart from the voucher thing (which did seem to work well for those who attended in London) and the venue - both of which I'll reserve judgement until after the event. I was looking at the list of exhibitors on the whisky live website and could only count 13 distillers or Independent bottlers, with a lot of the established favourites not listed. Apparently no glenfiddich/balvenie, no glenlivet, no Glenrothes, no Dalmore/Jura/Whyte&Mackay (i.e no Richard Patterson?) to name but a few. This has left me a bit concerned - is this an exhaustive list of who'll be there, or will more names be added later?

Could this be because of the scheduling of WL's in Cape Town and Johannesberg? Are companies reducing their marketing spend in the "mature" domestic market in favour of emerging markets?
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:58 pm

I'll be there at the moment, but to be honest, if the list of exhibitors doesn't increase substantially, I might be seeking a refund!
I'm also a little concerned that the event seems to be including games and beer. The clue is surely in the title - WHISKY live!!!
OK, have a general bar serving alternative refreshments, but the whole point is surely to celebrate whisky. I'd rather watch a cask being put together than p!$$ about with a giant jenga.

As always, I'm really looking forward to the event and like most, I'll reserve judgement until afterwards.
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:58 pm

May well do, will put it in the diary but I fear I will compare it to Whisky Fringe too much!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 pm

I've already booked my tickets but I assume that the list of exhibitors will increase.

It is a bit thin at the moment.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:28 am

Yeh, sorry guys, Pippa is meant to be keeping up with this forum. The exhibitors list will improve as they are booked and confirmed.

And nothing compares to Whisky Live :)
Matt2

Postby fishboy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:00 pm

I noticed that a few more exhibitors have been added to the list.

Duncan Taylor will be there. Missed them last year as they always bring some great bottlings. It'll be great if we can buy direct from them as I find it hard to get good access to their range (without driving to Huntly!)

Really pleased to see that Bruichladdich will be there. As far as I can recall this will be their first visit to WL Glasgow (my recollection of the first year is not all that great as we only went for 1 day!). Hopefully they'll bring some goodies and maybe even do a masterclass!?!

Also, according to the list of trade shows on the Springbank "tasting rooms" website it looks as though Springbank will be present as well (represented by Ranald) - although this hasn't appeared on the WL Glasgow list as yet.

The list exhibitors is starting to fill out nicely (with still time for more to confirm) and I must admit I'm getting a little bit excited! Anyone else starting to count the days?
fishboy
Silver Member

Re:

Postby Pippa Tomson » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:16 pm

Iain wrote:
williammackinnon wrote::cry:

Will there be a mini bus or other dedicated transport service to ferry folks back and forth from the city centre?

And a life guard service, for those that take a wrong on leaving the building? :lol:

There is a free shuttle bus service between Buchannan Bus Station and the SECC compliments of SPT - joining up journeys to Whisky Live. There is an hourly service on Friday 2nd and a half hourly service on Saturday 3rd.
Pippa Tomson
Whisky Live Events Manager

Re: Whisky live Glasgow 2007

Postby mattbuty » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:52 am

Got my tickets, me and the girlfriend.

I am looking forward to just getting away from it all for a couple of days. And tasting some great malts.

Does anyone know what the special releases are, if any?
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:37 am

Theres always a few gems to be had, but it is almost impossible to get the info before hand. I think they decided what to bring as they walk out of the door :wink:

There will be a special Whisky Live / Whisky Magazine bottling of Tullibardine available to try and buy.

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby fishboy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:51 am

I've quite enjoyed some of the recent Tullibardine bottlings I've had, although some of their finishes/flavourings [just for you Nick!] have been hit and miss.

Any more info on this bottling matt? Cask type, strength, number of bottles etc. Anything to whet my appetite.

See you all there

Fishboy!!
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:24 am

Matt Page wrote:Theres always a few gems to be had, but it is almost impossible to get the info before hand. I think they decided what to bring as they walk out of the door :wink:

There will be a special Whisky Live / Whisky Magazine bottling of Tullibardine available to try and buy.

:thumbsup:

Brilliant.

An excuse to break open my bottle of Tullibardine Moscatel finish for comparison.

Was there a special bottling last year? I don't remember it.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:09 am

It is a Tullibardine 15 Year Old @ 54.8% - 230 bottles.
(bourbon cask, But I may be wrong on that one...so don't quote me on it...)

A light malty nuttiness with fresh floral notes with an underlying sweetness and hints of honey. Water encourages the floral elements and brings a little spice and some citrus. A brief drying feeling is engulfed in waves of sweet malt and honey, with hints of grape seed. With water the creaminess from the oak comes through. Finishes quite crisp and dry. A delicate, fragrant malt with intriguing complexity. The perfect refreshing dram for sharing before dinner or in the afternoon with friends.

Not sure on the price, but it isn't crazy, the decission was that it should be an affordable bottle.

Don't think there was one at Glasgow last year, but there was a Port Ellen for Tokyo and a Highland Park at New York - http://www.whiskylive.com/bottlings.php
Matt2

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:34 am

Who is the bottler?

Is Tullibardine?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 am

fishboy wrote:I've quite enjoyed some of the recent Tullibardine bottlings I've had, although some of their finishes/flavourings [just for you Nick!] have been hit and miss.

Hi Fishboy. I don't know whether I've met you, but I'm sure we'll get a chance at Whisky Live. You're nickname makes me think of Cameron Stout from Big Brother 4 - but I think the nearest he came to alcohol was his surname.

I'm a big fan of some of what Tullibardine is doing right now, although I can't say I think they need to get into this cask finishing business. Their John Black Selection bottles are fabulous.
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Tullibardine 1993 -2007 Moscatel Finish is brilliantly crisp. :D
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:09 pm

Nick Brown wrote:[You're nickname makes me think of Cameron Stout from Big Brother 4 - but I think the nearest he came to alcohol was his surname.

How I wish I had an edit button to take care of that howling error.

:oops:
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:49 pm

So who will be there? It seems interesting to meet some of you people there.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm

I'll be there for a goodly part of the Saturday.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:22 pm

Will be there on the Friday Only.
I'm probably going to the 1 or 2 Masterclasses this year at most. The Diageo and Ardbeg look favourites so far.

Last year went to too many Masterclasses (5) over the 2 days and wasn't able to get around all the exhibitors I wanted to see.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby Tom » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:30 pm

I will attend the Diageo masterclass on friday and the Glenmorangie masterclass on Saturday, or was it the other way around? :o If you will do the same tasting let me know so we can meet.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:42 pm

I have already booked for the Friday Diagio class and am looking forward to it immensely :D

Especially the rosebank 25 and Glenbury Royal 50. If my calculations are correct that is about 900 quid a bottle :thumbsup:

I apologise in advance for my girlfriend, she will be the one saying "ew! I don't like that one!" When we taste the port ellen and lagavulin. hey ho...
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:47 pm

mattbuty wrote:I apologise in advance for my girlfriend, she will be the one saying "ew! I don't like that one!" When we taste the port ellen and lagavulin. hey ho...

I think it's great nonetheless that your girlfriend will join you. Not that many enthusiastic wiskhy gals around it seems...

She'll come to like it sooner or later :wink:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:07 pm

I'm there on the Friday only and I've booked the afternoon's Highland Park. Might also go to Diageo, but still undecided as it might not leave enough time for enjoying the rest of it.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:22 pm

mattbuty wrote:I apologise in advance for my girlfriend, she will be the one saying "ew! I don't like that one!" When we taste the port ellen and lagavulin. hey ho...

I said "that's fabulous" when I tasted Port Ellen. I loved it so much that I kept the last bit in the bottle for months, saving it for special cos I never wanted the bottle to end. Tried it again this week, well over a year after first opening it, and it's ruined - the air got to it and now it's flat and dull and one-dimensional :(

K-Mile wrote:I think it's great nonetheless that your girlfriend will join you. Not that many enthusiastic wiskhy gals around it seems...

She'll come to like it sooner or later :wink:

Whaddya mean? Are you saying us ladies are less enthusiastic about our drams than the menfolk here? How dare you !! :P
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:31 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:I said "that's fabulous" when I tasted Port Ellen. I loved it so much that I kept the last bit in the bottle for months, saving it for special cos I never wanted the bottle to end. Tried it again this week, well over a year after first opening it, and it's ruined - the air got to it and now it's flat and dull and one-dimensional :(

Whaddya mean? Are you saying us ladies are less enthusiastic about our drams than the menfolk here? How dare you !! :P

That's a real shame about the PE. Better finish it of as soon as possible if it's that good :) And buy another bottle for the next special occasion ;)

I am not saying that you ladies are less enthusiastic, just less enthusiastic ladies around :)

(the only girl I've ever met who even drank whisky only drinks Jack Daniels completely drowned in Coke. Nothing wrong with that, if you fancy that, but still. The same goes for most whisky drinking guys, so it might just be I hang out with the wrong people)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:01 pm

K-Mile: :headbang:
Oh dear, you really don't want to be going there at all. :shock:

There are a lot of very savvy and astute whisky lovers on this forum and many are women.

I was surprised and delighted a number of years ago to have a chat with one of the clerks at the local LCBO who told me she had tried and loved her first single malt, a Laphroaig 10 yo. She loved the stronger flavoured whiskies so we discussed the Islays and Islands distilleries, most of which she'd tried.

As for knowledge and love of whisky, Wendy could teach any of us more about Single Malts than we already know. They may be fairer but sure as heck aren't the "weaker" sex, when it comes to whisky!

I've tried to save you K-Mile but now may be a good time to practise that old survival tactic from the Nuclear fallout TV adverts: "Duck and cover!"
:D
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:K-Mile: :headbang:
Oh dear, you really don't want to be going there at all. :shock:

There are a lot of very savvy and astute whisky lovers on this forum and many are women.

I was surprised and delighted a number of years ago to have a chat with one of the clerks at the local LCBO who told me she had tried and loved her first single malt, a Laphroaig 10 yo. She loved the stronger flavoured whiskies so we discussed the Islays and Islands distilleries, most of which she'd tried.

As for knowledge and love of whisky, Wendy could teach any of us more about Single Malts than we already know. They may be fairer but sure as heck aren't the "weaker" sex, when it comes to whisky!

I've tried to save you K-Mile but now may be a good time to practise that old survival tactic from the Nuclear fallout TV adverts: "Duck and cover!"
:D
Muskrat

*ducks*
K-Mile
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder